JA
Posted By
JoAnn_Amerson
Dec 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to force the Import icon on the toolbar to default to my scanner rather than a PDF file? I would just like to cut out one little step if possible. If not, it’s not a big deal – just a little quirk.

JoAnn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Not that I can find, but you’re right, that would be a handy little gadget to have.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 30, 2003
I don’t understand. When i click ‘import’ my scanner is right there. Using PE1 and Canon Lide 30.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Dang! You’re right Jodi! The first time I checked that icon I was on my laptop and it was showing Pict files, etc. but no scanner. Now I’m on my main computer and my scanner does show up on that list. Cool!! Thanks for bringing up this subject, JoAnn. Mine works, so are you sure yours doesn’t? (And of course it wouldn’t have shown up on the laptop, because there’s no scanner software installed that’s accessible through Elements anyway. Duh.) I like this one! JoAnn’s right; it’s a little thing, but very handy.
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Dec 30, 2003
It’s there but the order is PDF Image, Visioneer Scan Manager Pro, WIA-Visioneer 90XX USB Scanner, Frame from Video, WIA Support.

Since I don’t want to fuss with Visioneer’s software, I choose the WIA-Vis….. But what the heck is WIA? It works, and thats good, but what is it?

wrote in message
Dang! You’re right Jodi! The first time I checked that icon I was on my
laptop and it was showing Pict files, etc. but no scanner. Now I’m on my main computer and my scanner does show up on that list. Cool!! Thanks for bringing up this subject, JoAnn. Mine works, so are you sure yours doesn’t? (And of course it wouldn’t have shown up on the laptop, because there’s no scanner software installed that’s accessible through Elements anyway. Duh.) I like this one! JoAnn’s right; it’s a little thing, but very handy.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
WIA seems to be another technical term, similar to TWAIN. I did a Google search, and there wasn’t too much, but that particular phrase indicated an access point to the Visioneer OneTouch Scanner. I think it’s just the scanner driver.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 30, 2003
JoAnn,

I removed a bunch of stuff from the list buy going to PSE’s plug-in folder and dragging the options out one by one. The path for me (I’m on OS X) is PhotoShopElements2>Plug-ins>Import/Export. There I removed: Anti-aliased Pict and Pict Resource. Then I went to Plug-ins>Automate and removed the Video Frame plug-in. Finally, still in the Plug-ins folder I drilled down through EPS & PDF>PDF>MacOS and removed the PDF Import plug-in.

Now the only thing that shows up after clicking the Import icon is my Epson Scanner.

If you’re using Windows, I would think you could still find everything in your list in the various plug-in folders.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
OK, Joe, but when I did that I still couldn’t get at PDF Image and Frame from Video. (I didn’t want to take the Video one out anyway, but I couldn’t if I wanted to.) When I open the application folder and look in Plugins>Import/Export, the only thing left in the folder is the scanning software, but the other two still show up in the Import drop down menu. I’ve looked through all the obvious spots for the PDF Image, but it’s nowhere to be found! Oh, and I’ve been playing in PSE in OS 9, because the Kitty is napping right now. 🙂 Are you sure you found them all in the same place?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 30, 2003
Beth,

The Frame from Video (which you want to keep) is in the Plug-Ins>Automate folder and the PDF Image Import is in the Plug-ins>EPS & PDF>PDF>MacOS folder. There are actually 2 folders in the PDF folder: MacOS and MacOSClassic. I just removed the PDF Image Import plug-in from the MacOS folder because I don’t use Classic anymore anyway.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Thanks, Joe! I got that little bugger out! Now when I hit the Import icon, my Vista Scan software is the first one that shows up. This is cool! Of course I haven’t tested it yet. Maybe it doesn’t work. Maybe I better check that out right now. And I had to take the PDF Image out of the Mac OS Classic folder, since I’m in 9. The trick will be reminding me how to do this when I get the new computer. I don’t use my scanner under Jaguar, so there’s no point in going in there to customize anything. 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 31, 2003
Ooops! Hey, Joe, does your Batch feature still work after having removed all of those files? I made the changes, and the scanning portion was great. Then I decided to do a Batch conversion of some scans, and Batch wasn’t available, although that was a couple of hours ago now (before the break for dinner!) and I don’t remember the exact message. Anyway, I put all of them back in, and then Elements would open and immediately shut down because of a Type 2 error. Grrrrr. I did a restart, and Elements has been doing fine since then, but only with all of those files back in their respective places. Interesting, huh?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 31, 2003
Hi, Beth. WIA=Windows Imaging Assistant.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 31, 2003
Beth,

I haven’t tried any batch conversions since I removed the files. Now I’m at work so I can’t try until tomorrow. I’ll try when I get home.

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 31, 2003
Hi Beth,

I just tried batch converting a folder of images from psd to jpg. Worked like a charm. I wonder why you are having trouble?

Joe
R
Ray
Dec 31, 2003
Hi Barb,

WIA stands for Windows Image Acquisition

http://tinyurl.com/2tmbg

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 31, 2003
Ray, thanks! I thought it meant Writhe In Anger….my reaction to trying to use the Canon version….
🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections