J
Posted By
J._Sieb
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble printing a horizontal print in Photoshop CS (running on Mac OS 10.3). In the preview window, the "center image" button has been selected, and the preview looks centered. However, when I see the output print, it isn’t centered. Please help me with this matter. Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2004
This is what I get with my printer too, and I think it is a ‘lag’ in how the printer ‘grab’s the paper before it is fed into the rollers. If I want something centered, I would make a blank page in photoshop and through trial-and-error, draw a center with cross lines on the page that I would move until it came out on center on the printer I was going to use. Then, put those cross hairs on a layer that also includes the 8 1/2 x 11 or whatever size paper you are using, outline as well for placement purposes. Save this file and use that art as a layer that you can paste into new documents when you are ready to line something up to come out ‘on-center’ on your printer.
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2004
I print all my photoshop images from InDesign more control over where the image is on the paper.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 22, 2004
That’s good Buko. Better than make-shifting in Photoshop.

: )
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Thank you, Ian. That makes sense, of course. I hadn’t really faced the issue, as I either trim my photographs or print on borderless paper.

The remaining question should be addressed both to you and Buko, who prints from InDesign, I guess:

If this is an OS X driver issue, how is this handled different by InDesign?
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Buko,

Now I’m really intrigued by this.

How do you get your images into InDesign? I know you’ve mentioned printing your Photoshop images from within InDesign even well before the CS versions came out. I haven’t upgraded to InDesign CS yet, and when I tried placing a Photoshop PSD image into InDesign 2.0.2, a dialog box told me that 16-bit images are not supported, only 8 bits.

In the File > Open dialog box, all PSD, TIFF and even JPEG files are grayed out, even 8 bit files.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 23, 2004
I can place 16 bit PSD files into 3.0.1 of Indy.

uhnm,

I’d like to know when we will be getting 16 bit output devices.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jul 23, 2004
InDesign CS supports 16 bit PSD. Use the "Place" command!
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Ian. I’ll try that if and when I upgrade.
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah! B)
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Buko and Ian,

So, how come InDesign can (apparently) get around the printer driver’s limitations in OS X and Photoshop can’t?

I still don’t understand that.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections