You find the channel you like for BW, then what?

LH
Posted By
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ONce you decide on the best channel you like for BW, what do you do then so that the file becomes that BW new image, i.e., so when reopen image wont see color but just BW? thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
Go to that channel, Select|All, Copy. Then Control N for a new image and paste. Or paste it in the current image as a layer.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 14, 2005
…. Or delete the other channels and then Mode>Greyscale
KP
Ken_Pratt
Oct 14, 2005
Linda,

You have a lot more control using channel mixer. If you go to help there is a section called "To create monochrome images from RGB and CMYK"

The manual just says "monochrome, converting to. See Photoshop Help".

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ken
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Oct 14, 2005
Linda:

I have a free tutorial and a free PS action set for B&W conversion using Split Channels.

<http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLRSplitChannels.htm> < http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/tutorials/SplitYourChann elsForImprovedB&W.pdf>

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mitch
P
Phosphor
Oct 14, 2005
Have a look here, as well:
Phosphor, "Converting an image to Black and White" #, 21 May 2005 4:52 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
S
Skidoo
Oct 14, 2005
Linda, the simple answer to your question is to use the Channel Mixer dialog. Click the Monochrome checkbox and then jack up the channel you like to 100%. Reduce the two other channels to 0.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
the simple answer to your question is to use the Channel Mixer dialog.

The correct answer is in post number’s 1 & 2. I debated about educating her on the relative merits of the technique and elected to simply answer the question.

She didn’t ask how to convert a color image to b/w.

Sometimes I want a single channel as a layer or a new image so I can do something else with it, not necessarily convert an image to b/w.
P
Phosphor
Oct 14, 2005
What about duplicating the Background, then adding a Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer above the "Background copy" layer?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
But that wasn’t what was asked right? Wasn’t it about channels?
P
Phosphor
Oct 14, 2005
Hey, while were confusing techniques, and outcomes, might as well toss all the possibilities into the ring.

%D
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
True. <grin> I prefer the Hue/Sat adjustment layer.
S
Skidoo
Oct 14, 2005
@YrbkMgr: No offense, but she asked specifically how to save only the results of the channel she likes. As "black-and-white."

And yes, there are a gagillion ways to convert color images to black-and-white. But as far as I know, the simplest way to drop all the channels except one is, well, to use the Channel Mixer dialog, set to monochrome.

Am I missing something?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
Am I missing something?

Did she ask how to convert the image to black and white or did she ask how to isolate a channel?
S
Skidoo
Oct 14, 2005
Is this a trick question? She asked how to isolate a channel. And make the results persistent.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
You’re right, I was wrong. I read your reply too fast. Sorry man.
S
Skidoo
Oct 14, 2005
No problem. I just figured I was missing something. I’m addicted to PS and the gagillion features. I want to know everything! lol
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 15, 2005
Yrkb is right technically, just wanted to know that……but, the other info is cool, so thanks all.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections