Posted By
James_MacDonald
Oct 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

A client requires translating one photo of a clothing product (i.e. shirt) in one color (often Navy Blue) into numerous other colors – including white. The goal is to seamlessly view the colors without shooting separate photographs for each color.

I don’t have too bad a time with most colors, but going to white has been harder. I’ve used Replace Color and met with limited success.

For other colors, I’ve used the Colorize function and tweaked, but sometimes that’s not great either.

Can someone suggest what might be a better way to approach this?

I’m running PShop 6.0.1

Thank you in advance!

-James

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AC
Art Campbell
Oct 13, 2005
In the future… I’d shoot the white shirt and add color to that. Otherwise, I think you’d lose lots of shadow detail trying to scrub color casts out.

Also, the replace color function is much better in CS2.

;- )

Art
SP
Scott_Perkins
Oct 13, 2005
You might also try a Gradient Map adjustment layer. This lets you use the luminosity of the color values and remap them to another color/luminosity range.

And you can mask the Gradient Map adjustment layer to only affect the shirt.

It’s also available as an adjustment under IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS. In that case you’d want to duplicate the layer, apply the adjustment, and add a mask to the new layer.
D
deebs
Oct 14, 2005
Is there any advantage in switching from RGB mode to, say, lab?

I may give it a try later on (today’s challenge is a repair install of retail XP Pro over a compromised COA OEM install of same (now ceased trading)
JM
James_MacDonald
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks for the feedback…

Reshooting isn’t an option, unfortunately. As far as switching to LAB – what is the benefit there? I don’t know anything about it.

I’ll try the gradient map technique and let you know how it turns out.
D
deebs
Oct 14, 2005
It’s probably poor consolation I know but I was just browsing a book by Martin Evening (Photoshop CS2) and I think he has devoted a few pages to this topic.

There is even an appearance of Russell Brown as secret agent!

Good luck with the new workflow – I hope it works out OK

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections