BJ
Posted By
Bob_J._Jones
Dec 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently downloaded and installed the trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 onto my Win XP Professional system. I liked the program enough to go out and purchase a shrink-wrapped licensed copy of it.

I uninstalled the trial version and installed the licensed version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 from the CD. Every time that I close or exit the Photoshop Elements 2.0 application, I get an application error. The application error reads as follows:

PhotoshopElements.exe – Application Error
The instruction at "0x77f83905" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

I did not receive the above application error with the trial version of the program. As a sanity check, I uninstalled the shrink-wrapped version and reinstalled the trial version–no application error. I then uninstalled the trial version once again and reinstalled the shrink-wrapped version–application error returns!

If anyone has previously seen or heard of this application error with Photoshop Elements 2.0 on Win XP Professional, I would sincerely appreciate any comments, suggestions and potential resolutions that you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
Bob, I haven’t heard of this specific error, but I have a question. When you did the uninstall of the trial version, did you make use of the Find feature of your computer to identify and manually delete any straggling files/folders that the uninstall process might have missed? I know this is necessary, but I don’t know how well explained it might be on the Adobe site or in the Read Me files. I’m suspicious since the error isn’t occurring with the demo but it is with the full version. Like the full version is finding something on the hard drive it doesn’t recognize? OK, so maybe that statement doesn’t make total sense, but I hope you get the idea!
BJ
Bob_J._Jones
Dec 29, 2003
Beth,

Thank you for your reply. I have not used the "Find" feature in Win XP to search for and delete straggling files/folders. On a somewhat similar note, while uninstalling the Trial version, I am prompted to either delete or not delete some common shared Adobe files that may or may not be utilized by other Adobe applications. Since I have other Adobe applications installed (Reader 6.0, PhotoShop 5.0 LE and PhotoShop Album 2.0), I did not delete any of the "possibly" no longer needed Adobe common shared files.

I will go through the Trial/Shrink-wrapped Photoshop Elements 2.0 uninstall/reinstall process again and delete all of the identified Adobe common shared files. The worst that could happen is that I have to reinstall some of my other Adobe applications.

Thanks for your suggestion and I will post the results of this pending activity.

Bob
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 29, 2003
make sure you get that pesty preferences folder
BJ
Bob_J._Jones
Dec 30, 2003
Well, I have gone through the Trial uninstall/Shrink-wrapped install process several more times–being sure to remove/delete all remnants (including the preferences file) of the Trial version of the program. The application error still persists with the shrink-wrapped version of the program.

As I am at my witts end, I will contact Adobe Technical Support to see if they can assist with a resolution. Maybe Adobe can provide me a license number for the Trial version of the program since it works fine.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Bob
G
gkeramidas
Dec 31, 2003
have the same problem and never had the trial version installed. so it’s nothing to dod with that.

have different memory locations, but the same error pops up when exiting.
BJ
Bob_J._Jones
Jan 2, 2004
That is very interesting to know. I was on the phone with Adobe Technical Support for 54 minutes several days ago and they exhausted all of their possible resolutions to fix the problem. They indicated that my last option is to reformat my hard drive and load Win XP Prof. and everyting else from scratch. As I had purchased a new and much larger hard drive several months ago (but never installed it), I decided to go through the extra effort of building it up from scratch instead of using Maxtor’s MaxBlast to copy my existing drive. I will be able to install PhotoShop Elements 2.0 on a clean load of Win XP Prof. (with all updates) tonight. I will post the results of this endeavor.

I have a couple of questions for you regarding your Application Errors. Are you able to and do you continue to use the program? Have you noticed any ill effects of the Application Error? I was considering to simply accept and live with this Application Error if a clean load of Win XP Prof. does not resolve it.

Thanks for your comments,

Bob
BJ
Bob_J._Jones
Jan 5, 2004
Mystery solved!

Well…I installed a fresh copy of Win XP Professional and the Photoshop Elements 2.0 Application Error did not occur with the shrink-wrapped version of the software. After installing each additional software application and/or peripheral driver, I rechecked for the Photoshop Elements 2.0 Application Error. Everything was fine until I installed my 3Com HomeConnect Web Cam driver/applet. The Photoshop Elements 2.0 (using shrink-wrapped version on CD) Application Error is being caused by the 3Com drivers/applet. When I remove the 3Com drivers/applet, the Application Error does not occur. Strangely enough the Application Error does not occur with the trial version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 that I downloaded from the Adobe web site. The actual 3Com HomeConnect Web Cam driver/applet is in a self extracing file named "vicam6858.exe". The web site where I downloaded this file (July 2002) explicitly stated that driver/software development for the 3Com HomeConnect Web Cam stopped at Win 2000, but that this driver are fully functional with Windows XP. I have not had any trouble with this 3Com HomeConnect Web Cam driver for a year and a half…UNTIL now.

If any other Photoshop Elements 2.0 users are using the 3Com HomeConnect Web Cam utilizing the above driver set in Windows XP—beware.

Best regards,

Bob
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 5, 2004
Bob,

Good of you to come back with your findings, it may help others. Hope you have smooth sailing from here on out. If you run into a snag using PSE, jump in here, the water’s fine. 🙂

Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections