Posted By
Byron_Gale
Dec 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Lola,

My printed manual was in the box, along with the program CD.

Byron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LF
Lola_Foote
Dec 29, 2003
I read somewhere, either in the Help or the documentation that came with Adobe Photoshop Elements that there is supposed to be a printed manual with it. Where is it and how do I get to it? I’m having a lot of difficulty figuring out how to use this program. Help would certainly be appreciated. TIA.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 29, 2003
Lola

I think you only get it if you buy the commercial version. If you get it any other way it’s on the CD in PDF form.

Grant
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
And if you can’t find a copy, don’t worry. It’s most helpful to people who already understand how to use the software. As manuals go, I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for. I think you’ll learn more by hanging out on the forum, reviewing old threads, or checking out some of the internet sites. One of the forum members graciously hosts a Challenge site, and here’s a link to another page he has on which are listed links to various helpful sites. There’s one there for Jay Arraich’s site. You’ll find it a much more useful resource than the Elements manual! (Sorry Adobe!)

<http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Links.html>
LF
Lola_Foote
Dec 29, 2003
Thank you Byron and Grant. My Adobe Photosho Elements came with a CanoScan D1250U2F scanner I bought. I didn’t see the manual on the CD. Hopefully someone that got their program the same way will see this question and know the exact answer. TIA.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 29, 2003
Lola,

You wouldn’t see it during the install phase. Did you use Explorer to just see the file contents of the CD?
LF
Lola_Foote
Dec 29, 2003
Thank you, Beth. I didn’t see your response before I posted a reply to Byron and Grant. My problem is I have to produce a picture for a project and I’m not having any luck doing it. I need to get this information like yesterday. I had no problem using Adobe Photoshop Home Edition 3.0. I wiwh I hadn’t deleted it to install this Adobe. I could have at least used it until I learned this one. Thanks for your response anyway. I will try the link you sent.
LF
Lola_Foote
Dec 29, 2003
Yes, Nancy. I did use Explorer to try to figure out if the manual was there but I couldn’t figure out what the file names mean (for the most part). I’ve printed a lot of the tutorials to make my own manual but I need to accelerate this process.TIA.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 29, 2003
Lola,

If you have it, it has a .pdf extension.

As mentioned earlier, "it ain’t that great". The help files within the program are the same material. Your best bet is tutorials from the internet, there are thousands of them, use Google to search. There are one or two tutorials in the help files.
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 29, 2003
Lola,

The manual is useless to me. It is hyper-dense in text and low in illustrations for me. If you would write about what you want to do I’m sure you will get help here. If you want printed material, I and at least one other on this forum recommend the "Visually" series edition on PSE 2 as a wonderfully illustrated manual for beginners. It has all that the Adobe manual does not have.

Carl
LF
Lola_Foote
Dec 29, 2003
Thank you, Carl. What is the "Visually" series edition on PSE 2? How/where do I find it? Visually is good, very good! Help for beginners is even better. TIA.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 29, 2003
I agree. The manual for this program bites. I have one of those Visual books too. I got it at a chain bookstore…B. Dalton to be specific. It’s "Read Less-Learn More Teach yourself Visually." It starts out with real basic stuff. The cool thing is it teaches using screen shots. Considering your lack of a manual, I think this particular book would really help you get a grasp on the tools, menus, and basics of the program.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 29, 2003
I agree. The manual for this program bites. I have one of those Visual books too. I got it at a chain bookstore…B. Dalton to be specific. It’s "Read Less-Learn More Teach yourself Visually" by Mike Wooldridge. It starts out with real basic stuff. The cool thing is it teaches using screen shots. Considering your lack of a manual, I think this particular book would really help you get a grasp on the tools, menus, and basics of the program.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 29, 2003
Excuse the double post. I goofed.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 29, 2003
Lola

The manual is called "User Guide.pdf" And while it does cover everything it seems to be written by techies for techies. There are far better ways to learn Elements. Also on the disk is "Quick Reference Guide.pdf" and this is worth printing out. It gives you all sorts of short cuts on how to get around in elements.

Grant
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 29, 2003
Did anyone mention the manual is around 250 pages?
K
krstone
Jan 2, 2004
I bought a retail version of PE2 and there was a notice inside the box that if I agreed to receive email promotions from Adobe then they would send me a printed manual.

I sold my soul and got the manual. It seems to be exactly the same as the online help, just in print form. Depends on your preference but I still like the old fashioned book in hand interface.

Even better, get a good non-Adobe book. I like Mikkel Aaland’s Photoshop Elements Solutions 2.

Ken

P.S. They have never sent me any promotional material.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
geeze…a bribe to get what should have come in the retail box 🙁
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 3, 2004
Wow! I can’t believe that! I wonder if that’s how all of them are being packaged now? I got manuals with both PSE 1 and PSE 2.
LF
Lola_Foote
Jan 3, 2004
KRStone,

Thanks for your advice. I just received the e-mail today. I already ordered "Teach Yourself Adobe Photoshop". lol

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections