Posted By
mgts517
Oct 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi..
I’m an absolute novice with photoshop ,so your patience is appreciated.. Just got a copy of cs2…
Can you please tell me how to straighten an image?
I used the straighten & crop tool ,but it doesn’t really work that well. Is there another alternative,or maybe another way I can fix these images? Thanks ,
Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
Jim_Solt
Oct 13, 2005
MEASURE TOOL.

Mark line on photo you want to be level.

IMAGE>ROTATE CANVAS>ARBITRARY

That will open a dialog box with predetermined amount to rotate canvas either clockwise or counter clockwise to make line level. Click OK.

You will now see the canvas doesn’t fill up the size of the original canvas. You will need to crop it to correct that.

Jim
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 13, 2005
Sorry to be suspicious Mike, but

Just got a copy of cs2…

is the sort of terminology used by someone who has – how shall we say? – acquired a copy through a friend of a friend.

"Just bought" or "just upgraded" is what we are used to hearing here.

If you have bought your CS2 legally you are most welcome at these forums and there will be plenty willing to help you.

If I’m way off the mark, then I apologize for my suspicious mind.

Oh and by the way: Jim’s advice is spot-on.

Chris.
L
LeDeane
Oct 13, 2005
Hi Chris, I downloaded my copy of CS2 as a trial. It was so good I couldn’t pay for it fast enough! Thats what Mike is going to do for sure. regards jc
DO
David_Orlich
Oct 15, 2005
Hi Mike and everybody. I’m new to the Forums, but I’m a pretty experienced PS user. I learned Photoshop touching up images for a real estate magazine, and here’s what I’ve always found useful for straightening an image:

Use the Crop tool to straighten your image. Drag out the frame and then move your cursor outside of a frame corner. The cursor will change to show that you can rotate the frame by clicking and dragging.

The trick to knowing how much to rotate is to find a line in the center of the image; something that SHOULD be vertical, like a doorway, the edge of a wall or a tree. Drag one edge of the cropping frame to that line and then rotate until it lines up with it. Then drag the frame back to full size and crop. Taa-daa! Whatch’a think, guys?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 15, 2005
Whatch’a think, guys?

You may not realize the sheer beauty of post #1. Try it. Use the Measure Tool and Rotate Arbritrary. Find a reference point for straightness, either horizontally or vertically and draw with the measure tool. Then Image|Rotate Arbritrary.
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 15, 2005
Whichever technique you use, you may find it helpful to temporarily display a grid for reference. You turn it on and off with View>Show>Grid; you set its style and frequency in Preferences.
D
deebs
Oct 15, 2005
Or CTRL+’

This is very helpful n’est pas?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2005
Pierre corrected your French once deebs!
M
Marcel
Oct 16, 2005
"deebs" wrote in message
Or CTRL+’

This is very helpful n’est pas?

Good effort, Deebs.
However, it’s "n’est-ce pas"
I’m sure it’s a typographical eror 😉
Ciao!
Marcel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections