Posted By
jai_vora
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

It was only after purchasing the comprehensive Adobe Creative Suite "Premium" did I realize that Adobe no longer provides the printed version of the User Guides. From what I understand, they do provide the printed User Guides but when the software is purchased individually and not in a Suite.

So this leaves me with having to go through the User Guide which is provided on the cd as pdf files – quite inconvenient from my perspective.

Then, recently I learnt that the Adobe On-Line Store does provide Suplementary User Guides, but at a cost – US$ 59 for each of the software that make up the Suite. Thus, wanted to know if these "Supplementary User Guides" are the same as the pdf files and/or the User Guides which are provided when the software are purchased individually.

Thanks,

Jai Vora

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
It is actually $59 for the complete SET of CS Premium Manuals ($49 for the CS Std, Set) — not $59 for each book.

Single Books for individual programs can be bought for $29.

The books have the advantage of being printed and bound but you could always print-out your own copies of all the PDFs if you were so inclined ….
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Jul 20, 2004
Well, I don’t have my printed manuals in front of me, but I seem to remember they weren’t as complete as the pdfs. I could be wrong on that one, though.

The .pdfs do have these advantages, though:

* They’re color.
* They’re searchable.
* They’re interactive.

Granted, there’s nothing like a paper book in your hand – that’s why I bought them; but like I said… I’m pretty sure they are less thorough than the pdfs.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 21, 2004
In my opinion, from a marketing perspective, this is a sore point. When one spends $$$$ for a top-rank software suite, an included printed manual is a must. The PDF and online help are great, but not particularly portable for reading wherever you choose to spend the time to peruse some information. It is also easier to read off a printed page than the screen.

Neil
JV
jai_vora
Jul 21, 2004
Hello all :

I did receive an e-mail from Adobe – I am "really" very surprised that after spending big buck on the Premium Suite that not only are the printed manuals not provided, but when purchased seperately they are not as detailed as the User Guides that come when "single" software is purchased !!!

Hi Jai,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Support.

There is actually more information you can find in the User Guide that came in with your software compared to the actual User
Guide Book that you can buy.

If you have other inquiries, please feel free to contact us once again.

Best Regards,

Adobe Asia-Pacific Support
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
I totally agree with Neil.

To spend at this level for software and then discover that the printed manuals will cost a further $59, plus tax, plus postage (and that they will not arrive for some weeks after the software!) does not a happy customer make.

A Customer Relations blunder (resulting no doubt from pressure from Adobe’s bean counters?) which I hope they will not repeat when CS2 is shipped.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 21, 2004
What must be even more annoying for anyone who purchases the manuals is to find that the printed manual seems to have rather a lot of cross reference to the online help files rather than detailed information (assuming it’s the same one that is bundled in the Photoshop CS only box). You would be better spending the money buying Real World Photoshop or Photoshop CS studio techniques in my opinion.

Susan S.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
Susan:

I agree that the trick of referring the reader to another page and then to yet another without offering much in-depth info, before abandoning one to look at Online Help is maddening.

It must have been those bean-counters again: "You can’t print more than 352 pages".

Photoshop 7 (with less features) was allowed 448 pages!

The trouble with the third-party books is that there is no way to get them into the stores in time to co-incide with the release of the new software.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections