WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
While it doesn’t say what changes were made I can say that my libraries of 11,646 fonts loaded in 15 seconds so I’d say it is faster yet. I’m glad I made the switch from FontReserve!

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16950>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Thank you for finding that Welles.

I have now installed 2.1.1. It was a painless, trouble-free upgrade and it seems to launch with lightning speed on my machine.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Thank you, Welles.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Doesn’t help my Extensis Suticase at all.

"My only criticism, and this is critical for those with less OS X experience, is that upon installation, the permissions settings for FontAgent, its library, and its associated files were set incorrectly. Running Disk Utilities "Repair Permissions" resulted in the inability to launch FontAgent Pro. After manually adjusting these file and folder permissions, FontAgent Pro works like a charm. It could be a tad faster when dragging and dropping fonts into sets, but overall, it is the best solution out there.

I sincerely hope that Insider Soft double-checks the permissions set by its installer. They also may wish to release an Applscript that will verify and update all file and folder permissions for users of FAP that experience troubles when launching the app."

I think I’ll wait for a while to convert.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda – you are too perfect.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Let’s hope Tiger takes the Voodoo out of the OS.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
I thought you stopped smoking crack Ken.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Ken:
I don’t know what the writer of your quoted message did wrong but I have run Repair Permissions and FAP 2.1.1 launches without a murmur.
I suppose it is just possible that he tried to install the upgrader while FAP’s window was open?

As for your Suitcase: it’s time to put that one back in the attic — or in the trash can.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
"I thought you stopped smoking crack Ken."

No, it’s this OS, I keep going back.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
Than it must be the fact that you keep smoking oysters then.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
I know Ann, I’m just testing the waters here by teasing you a little bit. I want to switch over but will wait until the rest of you suffer through the torture of making sure that it works good. You guys are my R&D department as I am always chicken to make big changes.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
My neighbor has one of them backyard smokers. He smokes everything.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
Yea, so does mine, but he’s usually got the neighbors dog on a skewer.

He keeps the pet population in check.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Hey, is that my dog you have over there on your skewer?

Neighbors, can’t live with ’em, can’t live without ’em.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2004
Ken, FAP beats Suitcase hands down.

There is nothing to test, there are no problems that I’ve seen.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
No torture is being endured here.
Suitcase-trashing time has arrived.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
I know it must be time. To run down to the Apple Store…

Font Agent Pro… does it print out type book pages?

(that’s what will hook me.)

Looks like the Apple Store doesn’t have it. It must primarily be available through download.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2004
Here you go Ken, <http://www.insidersoftware.com/FontAgent/fontagentpro/>

You can download it and try it for 30 days its fully functional.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
I don’t want it for 30 days, I trust you guys. I just bought it and it’s on my computer open and running but without any fonts brought into it.

Should I just shut down Extensis Suitcase now and throw it in the trash? Then download all my needed fonts into FAP? And will they all automatically appear in all my applications without any further thought?

We will see…

(I hate making leaps like this… but it does lead to improved ways of working.)

Thanks Buko and Ann and Welles and Ramón G Castañeda and…. yes, and thank you MIKE!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
<< does it print out type book pages >>

Use the Font Compare Panel to see:

Multiple typefaces at a time; all characters (or any of your choice); in any sizes that you like.

Print to paper or to PDF.

Convinced?!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
<< Should I just shut down Extensis Suitcase now and throw it in the trash? >> I would!

<< Then download all my needed fonts into FAP? >> I would IMPORT your fonts in FAP’s database by copying them (keeping the original fonts) from your master fonts folder rather than by moving them.

<< And will they all automatically appear in all my applications without any further thought?>>

If they are activated in FAP, and if you have installed the plug-ins for your applications correctly, they will immediately be available in Photoshop etc..
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Plug-ins? What have i gotten myself into? Extensis didn’t need any plug-ins.

Maybe I shouldn’t trash Extensis quite yet…

My boss just handed me a basket of stress things to do immediately (only when you are changing font managers of course.) I’ll get back to this this afternoon.

Arrrgggg…..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
The plug-ins come with the program.

The new installer may have already put them in the right folders — if not, just put them there.

In Photoshop CS Plug-ins: "FontAgent Pro for Photoshop CS" ;

In Illustrator CS Plug-ins: "FontAgent Pro for Illustrator CS";

In InDesign CS Plug-ins: "FontAgent Pro for InDesign CS.pln".

There is also a QXP Xtension if you need it.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Man, Ann, you are on top of everything. I’ve got ’em.

Here is a sign for you to put on your door:

"Abandon All Hope
Ye Who Enter Here"

That’s what I’ve got on mine anyway…

Mine’s in all caps Futura, but I think that this is one instance where Old English would work just fine.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
We thank you for NOT mentioning QXP Xtension.

Working great so far (not throwing away suitcase yet) however, now all caps in all fonts, you know small caps where lowercase used to be. Must be a feature of Font Agent ’cause there are not special characters chosen in InDesign (that I know of.)

Any ideas on this?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Check the pop-out in your Characters Palette in InDesign for "All Caps" and "Small Caps" being checked and ALSO for the same thing in the OTF sub-menu flyout in the same palette.

You can also see these settings via the small arrow to the right of the Options bar while the Type Tool is active.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
Aha, it was on ‘small caps’ by default so all new documents opened with small caps setting in place. Thanks for the expert, the detailed and the concise and accurate descriptions of the problems and the fixes Ann. You’re the best.

Font Agent installed and fonts imported. A minor miracle. Now to wait and see how it has advantages over what I had been using. These will show up over time. In six months I will give you an evaluation.

Based on everyone here, it’s a winner.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
You won’t need six months to see the difference — it will only take about an hour.

Make some Sets and group fonts in them by Client, or by classification (so that you can quickly compare all of your Scripts for example); then play with the Font Player and Font Compare.
MJ
Matt_J_Stevens
Jul 20, 2004
FYI, What’s New in FontAgent Pro is listed in the help..

Version 2.1.1

1. Full support for Quark 6 running in Panther
2. Improved auto-activation performance
3. Improved font previews
4. Correct font family name in Get Info window
5. Shared fonts activated after Classic is running are available in Classic applications

Absolutely love the software!!!!!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
I see Insider Pro is in Las Gatos. I was just there in Feb and should have dropped in on them to see the team in action.

I just printed out the pdf manual, and it is a nice one, good layout and written in an easy to follow style. Well organized and clear.

Very Nice.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
So far, this I do not like. I am playing around with Font Agent Pro and now I want to remove some of the fonts that were imported and now Font Agent wants to play hardball by telling me that if I remove a font from the library that it is now going to delete that font from my hard drive. The other font management utility would let me remove and import fonts at will.

By going into file>Export FAP still threatens to do system level work by asking me where I want to save the fonts that it is still going to remove. I don’t want a font utility to do beans with my fonts only to bring them into action, not remove them permanently or move them at all.

Hmm… I am now backed into a corner. I want to remove fonts from FAP but not from my hard drive. I guess the only way is to let it remove them and then re-save them to the same location.
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2004
why do you want to remove the font??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
Ken:

If you delete a font from FAP, it is deleted from FAP’s database — which is why I suggested that you "Imported" your fonts by COPYING them from your master fonts folder rather than by MOVING them.

However, as Buko said, there is no reason to remove fonts from FAPs database — just do not Activate fonts that you don’t want to use.

I actually organize my fonts by creating separate Libraries for Type 1s A-L; for Type 1s M-Z; for TTs; for OTFs; for Pi fonts; etc..

Then you can look at your lists by "All Fonts" or by Library.

But that is just my way of organizing my fonts to suit me!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
This is going to change the way I am used to working. But that is not a bad thing. I already have my fonts organized, and on their own partition. The way I will organize them in FAP yet remains to be seen. I have ten million fonts, but only want the ones that I use brought into FAP. I removed the one I accidentally imported (copied – I do believe, but am not clear on that yet as I simply used the ‘import’ feature) and was fully prepared to go into archives to restore it to my hard drive, but it still was on my hard drive, even after the the threatening pop-up.

I have played with the review ‘player’ window and find that if I scroll too fast that it leaves a tracking, permantent venetian-blind effect of the fonts that just scrolled by, a product bug I take it. I’ll avoid that area for a while.

I’m neutral on FAP at this point. I like it because Ann and Buko and the rest of the highly respected folks here like it, but not by anything I’ve seen from the program itself yet.

Give it 6 months and I will report back.

: )
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
How do you get FAP to automatically open at start-up? I do not see this option available in preferences, and the option that did look like it has not caused it to open when I turn on the computer in the morning.

This will be my last question about FAP, as I can see that just spending time with it will be the best way to work out the kinks.

Thanks All,

Ken
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 21, 2004
Um,

have you tried to use the "start-up items" in the control panel?

aka System Preferences

under user accounts.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Yep Mike, It’s offered in preferences in Suitcase, so I was looking there first in FAP.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
You don’t need to set FAP to start-up on reboot because the computer will boot with the fonts that you had active (when you shutdown) still activated if you set FAP’s Prefs./Activation to do that — which I do.

I keep an icon/alias to FAP in my Dock. When I want to open FAP’s window, a click on the icon opens it in 2 seconds. FAP does not have to be "open" for your fonts to remain "managed" — you only need to open it to make changes. Closing its window, quits out of FAP but your fonts are STILL being managed and auto-activated in your applications.

Regarding the scroll bars: either slide them slowly or better still, click in them to advance a page instead of dragging the bars. (This is the only inconvenience that I have found with FAP and it existed since the first version.)

You can also re-size any of the panes in FAP’s window.

Home, End, Page Up & Down, and the up and down arrow keys also work to advance through the lists in the left and top panes. (If your set or library folders are open that will include the individual fonts in those folders.)
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2004
FAP uses scripts to activate the fonts that are needed so FAP does not need to be running in the background. and 2.1.1 loads so fast now its not a problem to fire it up any time you need to look for a font.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Thanks again for the helpful input.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections