Will someone please let me know if Adobe Photoshop CS is the best program?

LF
Posted By
lindsay_femme
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am just getting back into art photography and will soon buy a Canon EOS 10 (digital). Is the CS the best of the Photoshop series?

Thanks in advance! Linds

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jul 19, 2004
Yes.
P
povimage
Jul 19, 2004
Yes. Unless you need to legitimately use LEGAL images of money in your work… or if you’re a counterfeiter.. LOL

Keith
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 19, 2004
Keith,
Hmmm… I am so new to all of this and have just acquired my eMac and am a bit strapped. Is there some information that I should know? My email addy is

If you would be so kind,

linds
RH
r_harvey
Jul 19, 2004
Photoshop Elements is only $100. It’s also included with some scanners and other hardware.

If you’re just getting started, Elements will probably be fine for a very long time, if not forever.

If you don’t want to spend any money, there’s always The Gimp <http://www.gimp.org/>.
P
povimage
Jul 19, 2004
Lindsey,

Basically, Photoshop CS has a feature that earlier versions did not. It will not allow you to open an image of newer currencies in it..

As for being new with Photoshop, graphics, and digital imaging, we all were at one time.. Hopefully, you will find the Adobe Forums to be one of the best resources for digital imaging on the net.

If you have specific questions, post in the forums (you’ll find people amazingly willing to help) or feel free to email me offlist anytime: "editor AT p-o-v-image BIGDOT com" (that’s written in anti-spam trawler mode).

Keith
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 19, 2004
Answer to question: Yes.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
depends on what you need to do.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2004
It is the best application for what I do.

Not really knowing what you intend to do with your pictures, Its hard to say.

unless you need CMYK files Elements is probably what you need.
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 20, 2004
Hello Buko,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about such things but what are CMYK files?

Linds
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2004
If you need to ask, you don’t need photoshop.

Elements will suit your purposes just fine.

CMYK = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black the 4 colors used in printing 4 color process. color magazines are all CMYK.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
I need to make business cards.
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2004
Ken,

InDesign. 🙂
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2004
iTunes is my favorite.
CB
Chris_Baham
Jul 20, 2004
All magazines are NOT CMYK. I saw a black and white magazine the other day.. im sure they didnt throw down the CMY plates for that. Also.. when I make my professional magazine in house, we use RGB on a Apple Colorwriter.

/last part was sarcasm =)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
<< Also.. when I make my professional magazine in house, we use RGB on a Apple Colorwriter. >>

?!

[Edited later]
I am so glad that you clarified THAT!
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 20, 2004
Now, I am truly confooseled.

linds
L
LRK
Jul 20, 2004
Photoshop CS is the best! Just make sure your setup can run it.
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 21, 2004
have an emac 10.3.4 with 256 mb and 1 GHz PowerPC G4 and soon I will buy somemore Ram. I am debating about how much to get. I don’t think that I will need 1 GHZ, perhaps 768 ? ( i am new to all of this) However, I do love my MAC. I don’t ever want a pc again.
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Lindsay,

You should buy a lot more RAM. I have the 1Ghz G4 DP with 1.75 GB of RAM. When I work with camera RAW files and/or 16-bit photos that need restoring, I need every bit of that RAM. I recommend you put in as much RAM as you can.

Linda
L
Larryr544
Jul 21, 2004
Especially buying a Canon EOS 10 PS CS is the very best!
L
Larryr544
Jul 21, 2004
Linda – How can you have 1.75 MB of RAM? What do you know that I don’t know?
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Larry, I think I did say GB… 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 21, 2004
Linds-

Unless you are already invested in modern Canon lenses, include evaluation of the Nikon D70 for that genre of digital camera. Either choice is excellent, but for me the scales tip in favor of the D70.
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Larry, Were you joking about MB vs GB… or were you seriously asking me about my RAM? Just wondering if I missed something… I can be dense…
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 21, 2004
As I recall, the Canon SLRs throw in Elements as part of the bundled software. My advice would be to get to know that, find out if there’s anything it can’t do that you want to do, and if there is, then buy CS – the learning curve form Elements to Photoshop CS is less steep then diving right into CS. It took me about 18 months of using Elements to decide that I really needed PSCS and the main reason for the decision was because of the RAW conversion software that CS includes. Canon’s RAW conversion is dreadful and the only alternative that I can see for the Mac, Capture 1, doesn’t play with non-DLSR RAW files – but it would be an option for the original poster. (I have a Canon G3, not a DSLR). You will need more RAM to run both Elements and CS – I have 756 Mb of RAM on my imac and it’s OK but I don’t use a lot of huge files. For the bigger DSLR files, particularly if you are going to use CS and edit in 16 bit, well at least 1 Gb (I’m not sure how much an emac will take).
L
Larryr544
Jul 21, 2004
Linda I meant to say GB…thanks for the correction. Do you really have 1.75 GB????
P
povimage
Jul 21, 2004
I still think "Leisure Suit Larry," "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,"the mainframe version of "Star Trek," "Hunt the Wumpus," "Zork," and any version of strip poker (or better yet, "strip black jack") are the best programs.

But then again I’m easy to please..

Keith
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 21, 2004
Can you tell me why you favor the Nikon?

Thanks so much for everyones feedback.
You are all so great to be giving me all of this information!

linds
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 21, 2004
Hello Linda,

I have never heard of a DP?? Please enlighten me to what it is. I am thinking of getting 1 to 2Ghz of Ram. It seems that I should buy the camera that I wrote about previously (Canon EOS 10 ) and just use Elements which comes with the camera since I am a novice to all of this. I can always upgrade to CS when and if I am ready. If anyone knows where there are good classes for using Elements I am open to suggestion.

Truly grateful for all of the feedback and suggestions,

Linds
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Larry,

Linda I meant to say GB…thanks for the correction. Do you really have
1.75 GB?

Yes… Why? Is that unusual?
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Lindsay,

I have never heard of a DP?? Please enlighten me to what it is.

DP stands for Dual Processor.
NB
Nancy_Browne
Jul 21, 2004
Linds,

Total Training has video tutorials for Elements (as well as CS). If you’re a total novice at Photoshop, I think this would really help. Check out the link:

<http://www.totaltraining.com/home.asp>
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2004
Could this be the start of one of those 3000+ post threads?
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
Larry,

Like Linda, I also wonder why you found the amount of RAM unusual. I have a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with 2GB of DDR SDRAM.
P
progress
Jul 21, 2004

2.5gb here…as soon as either adobe or apple or both pull their fingers out and give us a way past the 2gb barrier it will be getting the full 8gb
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 21, 2004
What would someone want 8 gb??? Do you need it for video editing or? just curious,
linds
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
lindsay: running several applications that need lots of RAM and not having them paged out to disk….
P
Phosphor
Jul 21, 2004
Lindsay…

The maximum amount of RAM your eMac can hold is 1 GB. To get that much, you’ll need to pull out your 256 MB RAM module and replace it with 2 modules of 512 MB each.

And MAKE SURE you buy your RAM modules from a reliable company. It’s better to spend a little more money to get reliable RAM than it is to save money on the cheap stuff and find it causes you problems.

Have a look here:
<http://www.ramjet.com/emac.asp>
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 21, 2004
Phosphor,

Did you look at all of the previous messages in this thread? It seems like there are others who have more Ram than I GB. I have been hearing that it is possible, even with an Emac OSX 10.3.4/ Processor 1 GHz Power PC G4… Are you sure???

Thanks for the Ramjet info. I just checked out crucial.com. Do you think Ramjet is better than Crucial ?

linds
G
graffiti
Jul 21, 2004
It IS possible Lundsay. Just not with an eMac.

Edit: The same applies to the most recent generation of iMac as well.
L
Larryr544
Jul 21, 2004
Linda – I have a dual 1GHz also, yours must be the mirrored dorr model with 4 memory slots. Mine only has 3 slots.
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
Larry,

Ah. Yes, mine is an MDD model.
L
LRK
Jul 21, 2004
Larry, Yes mine does have 4 slots. I still have a 256 MB DIM that I could swap for another 512 but I think I’ll save the money and put it toward a future G5… if all goes well.
L
Larryr544
Jul 22, 2004
Alas mine can only hold 1.5 GB……
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
Sorry… hope it’s enough… 😉
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
Soooo… what do I need to buy now to make all of those little "face" expressions. Like LRK’s ^. I can only do it in yahoo messenger. *pout

Linds
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2004
Lindsay,

You’ll find what you need here:

John Cornicello "Smiley Faces/Emoticons… How do I get rid of them?" 9/10/03 1:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
My winking face is the following key strokes with the space removed.

; )
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
I’m so glad you posted those Ramon. I was wondering where they were.
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
That one is easy! ; o

Thanks Ramun
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
Don’t you people work?? lol
L
LRK
Jul 22, 2004
Yes, I work all the time… Today was more of a goof-off day to help relieve some stress…
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
Seriously, how can I make those faces? I have been told on several occasions that I can really emote… that I have an expressive face and can be a bit of a drama queen but how can I truly express the Leo part of my nature without those witto faces. I went to preferences and it only had a place for me to click on a box to let them know whether or not I would like to see other’s witto faces.

Witto?

I sound like Elmer Fudd
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2004
Lindsay,

Click on the link I posted. To the right of each emoticon ("face") you see the various key stroke combinations which will automatically turn into color emoticons when you post.
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2004
For instance, type a colon and a right paren : ) without a space in between, and when you look at your posted message you’ll see :).
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
I see. Oh well, I did not want to go to all the trouble of learning all those combinations. I was hoping that there was a program that I could download (freeware) or buy so I could make those cute little faces anywhere that I can type. Is there such a thing?

: )
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2004
not for these forums
DR
DP_R
Jul 22, 2004
as for the nikon vs canon question, it’s really more a question of feel and how it works. If you’ve used either, go with the one you feel most comfortable using–how it feels in your hand and what the controls feel like is huge. I have a D100 and I feel it’s great; I tried my buddy’s 10D the other day and (having been used to Nikon), the controls felt a little a$$ backwards to say the least. One can’t really recommend one over the other–it’s a bit like a Mac vs Windows debate (I happen to use both but I prefer using Apple’s products).

The D70 and 10D are pretty neck and neck when it comes to features, although Canon seems to have the edge when it comes to overall low-light and picture quality. I think Canon’s CMOS sensor is superior to Nikon’s Sony CCD, but if the camera is a pain to use, you won’t feel comfortable with it. Speed-wise, using a fast CF card, the D70 edges out the 10D if you do sports shots where you need to shoot (somewhat) high-frame rate shots (the D70 will shoot continuously and not fill the buffer).
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
Some years back when I was doing art photography I used my trusty Canon AE1 which I just loved. I know the EOS10 D is supposedly pretty heavy so I have to see if it is too much for me. (I am not a big girl) I guess the next step would be to go to a camera store and see what both of them feel like. Although, it might be smarter to buy a Canon because I have some lenses that I used for my AE1. I wonder if they would fit on the new Canon?

I definitely would not be using it to take photos of sporting events. That made me laugh… (*just imagining myself in that kind of endeavor) It would primarily be for art photography, portraiture, that sort of thing. The next thing to buy would be a printer and I don’t even want to go there. I know that what I would want would be very expensive. Some day I would like to show my work in a gallery so the prints would have to be top notch. It is scary thinking about all of the things that I would have to buy to be able to pursue my dream. At least, I still have a great tripod that I used to use. I think it is called a Bogen?
DR
DP_R
Jul 22, 2004
Your AE1 lenses won’t fit because it’s a different lens mount (FD versus the newer EF). At least you can still use your Bogen tripod. 😉

I also have to mention Canon lenses are slightly less expensive than Nikon’s glass which is something to consider if you plan on building up a nifty collection of lenses. (Whether that translates into "you get what you pay for" I don’t know, but I’ve never had a problem with Nikon lenses in general and I know plenty of people who are just as satisifed with their Canon glass.)

Relatively speaking the 10D (and the D70 for that matter) isn’t a big heavy camera (when you compare it to pro beasts such as Canon’s 1Ds and Nikon’s F5 and D1X). It’s not something you can stuff in your pocket (or purse) and bring everywhere but that’s not what it was designed for either.
LF
lindsay_femme
Jul 22, 2004
Thank you for all of the information! I am really curious as to how you are so knowledgeable about all of this (down to knowing about Canon lenses when you have a Nikon). Also. do you have a great printer? I have to buy something that can produce wonderful archival photographs. I do remember seeing some on the Apple site.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections