Can you customize the Automate: web gallery?

AH
Posted By
Annie_Haynes
Jul 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really love how the Automate: web photo gallery script works, but would like to make it "my own". I’m a web designer, I know Golive.. but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to re-create this. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

muchas gracias~
annie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ST
Scott T Martin
Jul 17, 2004
Absolutely! Within the Photoshop Application folder goto Presets>Web PhotoGallery and you’ll see folders containing html templates for all the styles you see within PS’s Web Photo Gallery feature. Just duplicate a folder, change the name and start modifying! Just be sure to back up these files if you ever switch computers…
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
I’m so glad I found this thread. This is just what I need right now.

Thanks to Scott for this info!!!

Linda
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Not as easy as I thought to swap elements. There is the dreadful "code" to figure out…
C
Cindy
Aug 17, 2004
There is the dreadful "code" to figure out…

Yes there is. It is a real pain but I did my photo site using templates.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Really Cindy? You automate your gallery with your own custom templates?
ST
Scott T Martin
Aug 17, 2004
You automate your gallery with your own custom templates?

I’m not Cindy but yes, I make websites from templates that I create or modify from Adobe’s templates. I use Adobe GoLive to create the HTML or modify their HTML pages and can, for the most part, avoid the code.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Scott,

I like your web site. I’m creating a gallery which is also a store for the parties involved to purchase their prints. There might be up to around 400 photos posted along with thumbnails and other links. I would like to use frames since I am organizing photos in different categories.

I would like for the frames to be invisible and a nonobtrustive scroll bar where necessary. The design is done and I have an html page that I’m tweaking… just not clear on how to incorporate it into the gallery templates.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 17, 2004
It would be nice if Adobe would facilitate WPG template creation. It has been requested for years now.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 17, 2004
Linda-

Some Extensis Portfolio Net Publish templates do about what you want. They have a free 30 day trial.
ST
Scott T Martin
Aug 17, 2004
I like your web site.

Thanks, I have several, and you may or may not have seen one that uses a web photo gallery.

Contact me at and I’ll point you toward an example.

I’m creating a gallery which is also a store for the parties involved to purchase their prints. There might be up to around 400 photos posted along with thumbnails and other links.

Sounds like that might be a good time to for dynamically generated pages utilizing a database for thumbnails, pricing, and other info. Might be beyond the scope of a PS web photo gallery. Nonetheless, web photo galleries are really easy to make and might be a place to start.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Thank you Scott. I just sent an email. I am using another company to receive payments, process the orders, and fulfill the orders. I just need to have the gallery up and running.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Allen: Sorry I got sidetracked before answering your post. I have Porfolio. I guess New Publish is different? I’ll check it out. Thanks very much!

Some Extensis Portfolio Net Publish templates do about what you want. They have a free 30 day trial.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 17, 2004
Portfolio 7 Mac is brand new (one week?), as is the Net Publish component. The web publishing is very new and different.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks again Allen…
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 20, 2004
I spent a lot of time modifying and creating web photo gallery templates for PS a long time ago and am just starting to mess with them again. They have changed the tokens you use so the old templates no longer work. Here is my first new template for PS CS:

<http://www.anhedonium.com/photos/door/index.html>

Working ok but I need to finish some things I don’t like. Mosty navigation and tweaking CSS. I like to see others out there have interest in this.
L
linda
Aug 21, 2004
Somehow I missed your last post Jeff. Nice job on your own custom gallery. I noticed you used Flash for yours… which means I have questions about how you might have automated Photoshop to put all the pictures and thumbnails in place. I am totally confused. πŸ™‚

Before I found my way back here I started another thread trying to see more specific help on this. I seem to be totally dumbfounded at custom scripting that involves code.

HERE < http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef7f2c5.3bb5940 7> is the other thread I started.

And HERE < http://graphicspalmbeach.com/0NewGallery/%201gettingreadyb/1 gettingreadyB.html> is the Web page that I would like to convert for automation.
L
linda
Aug 21, 2004
Jeff: Does Flash have a way of automating this kind of gallery?
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 22, 2004
Ah, I missed this post. Just saw it but gotta run. Will be back and we can chat.

JS
L
linda
Aug 22, 2004
Sounds gooood…
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 22, 2004
Ok, I checked you links and I don’t think that the PhotoShop export will be a good solution for what you are trying to do. You could certainly make a template that matched your layout etc and looked like part of your website. BUT, to allow the adding and removing of photos is beyond the capabilities of PS. Also, the ability to purchase photos is also beyond this, unless you are intimate with some kind of server-side processing language (PHP, ColdFusion, ASP, BFD πŸ˜‰ ) There is a fine alternative to all this that will work however. I am also using an app called Gallery to display photos. Gallery will let you create users that could add / delete their own photos, leave comments, and purchase photos. Gallery can be downloaded here:
GALLERY < http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=P NphpBB2&file=index>

You can see how I am using the Gallery App here:
ANHEDONIUM <http://www.anhedonium.com/gallery/albums.php>

FLASH
Yes, you could use Flash or LiveMotion [ I’m still chewing grapes of wrath about LM getting canned ] to generate an automated photogallery kind of thing but this gets into a full-blown re-inventing of the wheel in actionscript and would not be too easy to accomplish so I don’t think you will want that route unless you are a programmer.

Hope this helps some!
L
linda
Aug 23, 2004
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional information about my site and also about Gallery. Is Gallery cross platform? I’m checking out the site now and a little confused by it.

I might check out the Macromedia forums for tutorials on scripts that might automate Flash in this way.

Thanks again,
Linda
C
Catherine
Aug 23, 2004
LRK–I actually automated the horizontal slideshow myself–remember the question I asked you about the distortions? It wasn’t difficult at all. I used Dreamweaver, and just kept previewing until I got what I wanted. You can see the finished show here: <http://www.keithwilliamson.com/india/india.htm>. It is incorporated into a website with no problem. Now I have to see if I can prevent the distortions as you have suggested.
L
linda
Aug 23, 2004
Good job Catherine…

It might be a little more challenging for this gallery < http://graphicspalmbeach.com/0NewGallery/%201gettingreadyb/1 gettingreadyB.html> though.
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 23, 2004
LRK, Gallery is an application you have to install on your web server and it requires that your server be running PHP and have a mySQL database. You would have to check with whoever is hosting your site to see if you have access to these things. Installation is a little tricky but once it’s running it is easy to work with.
L
linda
Aug 23, 2004
Jeff, I do believe PHP is supported by my Web hosting service as it is listed as a Power Plug-in within the Administration area. It says I have PHP 4.3.4.

My server also supports eCommerce… which is another giant I am seeking to conquer. I keep trying to push past some mental blocks and gain more understanding. πŸ™‚
L
Larryr544
Aug 23, 2004
Linda – Nice web site!
L
linda
Aug 23, 2004
Hi Larry… thanks!
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
I finally gave up. I can customize the information within the gallery templates but they won’t work with my own designs. Somehow I think that if I am determined enough I will get it. I don’t know why I didn’t give up a week ago… Now I’m burned out and having to deal with other glitches… stupid me…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 25, 2004
Linda:

Try this ExtraColossal SuperHaxie:

Make a copy of the Presets/WPG/style folder which has the the nearest frame-layout that is useful to youΒ—and rename the copied folder.

Add any background image, logos and banner heads that you want to use into the images folder inside your new WPG style folder.

Now drag and drop each of the following onto GoLive:
Caption.htm
indexPage.htm
SubPage.htm
Thumbnail.htm

Make your editorial changes to these files adding your own backgrounds etc. (The SubPage.htm is the key to your page layout here).

Let Photoshop create the Gallery.

In GoLive, Create a New Site from the folder that contains your newly-made Gallery.

From inside the new GoLive .site file:
open each page in turn, starting with the Index page.

You have to get at the Index page from inside a FrameSet: then you have to double click on the "pages.htm" and "ThumbnailFrame.htm" icons to open them.
Make changes to Properties (if needed), Save and Close.

Now open each of the other Pages in turn (they open directly in Preview mode) and edit each: adding additional Links as necessary; replacing or adding extra elements (such as a custom Banner gif); clean up spacing; use CSS etc., and Save.

All thumbnail links should still be working.

Upload or link to your main site and you are done>

:~)
L
linda
Aug 26, 2004
Hi Ann,

You are so good. Really you are!

I ended up doing part of what you suggested. After multiple attempts at customizing the gallery this past week, I finally had to settle for customizing a copy of one of the galleries that was closest to what I wanted (as you suggested). I’ve put in way too much time and time is running out before I leave town on Monday. Looks like I have to keep what I have for now.

Two galleries are almost done and two more to go. I’ll send you the username and password if you’d like to see what I have so far.

However, your good advice will not go to waste. As soon as I have some time and not feeling so burned out, I will try tackling this again.
H
Hexebah
Aug 27, 2004
Linda,

May I send you a "Re-wire" of your WPG that you may be able to use (2mb) ? It needs a few finishing touches but is basically a Template (not for use in WPG) that you can duplicate and re-use.

As long as you keep the correct naming conventions for your new image files (E.g. 1.jpg – t1.jpg – 2.jpg – t2.jpg) and are the correct size, they will appear and link correctly with the new gallery.

You do have to check each page to ensure your images are sized correctly afterwards, as some of the new ones may have a different orienation than their predecessor.

You will have to change the Bride/Grooms names too!
I found your Email address on your site (very nice btw) so let me know if you’re keen. if not no sweat πŸ˜‰

Chip
L
linda
Aug 27, 2004
Hi Chip,

How nice of you to do this… I would be very pleased if you would send what you’ve done. If I can get it to work right I will redo my galleries when I get back from the conference. Thank you!!! Oh… and I’m glad you like my Web site redo…

Linda
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
<< Two galleries are almost done and two more to go. I’ll send you the username and password if you’d like to see what I have so far. >>

Please doΒ—I would love to see.

And do have fun at the Conference and tell us all about it when you return.
L
linda
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks Ann! I wish you could be there… I’ll send you an email…
L
linda
Aug 28, 2004
Chip did an awesome job on converting my gallery to frames. I am still feeling challenged by iframes though. I can’t find anything about iframes in my GoLive 6 help menu either. One way or the other I’m going to get this… especially since Chip went to the trouble to do this for me… for which I am very grateful!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 29, 2004
Frames (not iFrames) are fairly straight forward.

In GoLive CS you just click on the third button down on the left-side of the Tools to see a selection of Frame arrangements.

Open a new document window; click on the Frame Editor icon; and drag and drop your chosen Frame arrangement into the window.

Re-arrange the sizing of the frames or drop more Frames in each Frame pane. Link Frames to pre-made Page.htm files.
And just "tell" the Frame Inspector which frames need Scrolling bars.

Things to remember: Spiders can’t peer inside Frames; and some Browsers don’t work with them.
L
linda
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks Ann… I’ve had plenty of experience with regular frames but iFrames seem to be different. I noticed that Chips files are done with iFrames… I need to understand them better.
H
Hexebah
Aug 29, 2004
Hi Linda

I’m at work at the mo. I’ll get back to you on the iFrames when I get back home. They basically work like normal frames – but better πŸ˜‰

If you click the iFrame object in GoLive you should see it’s properties in the Inspector. Be in contact soon.

Chip
L
linda
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks so very much Chip… You are the best! I sent you an email about something I want to do as a thank you… if I hear from you in time… leaving tomorrow morning and won’t be back until Saturday.
H
Hexebah
Aug 30, 2004
Aww shucks, thanks Linda – I’m just glad if it helps. Have fun while you’re away!

Chip
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 30, 2004
Well I am totally confused by "iFrames"Β—or do you just mean "Inline Frames".

[There is no reference to "iFrames" in "Help"; but "Inline Frames" are covered.]
H
Hexebah
Aug 30, 2004
Hi Ann – Yes they are Inline Frames. They work like standard frames in that they are targeted like frames are.

For example the Centered Frame’ WPG generates an index page with two iFrames embedded into two separate cells of a table. One iFrame targets the thumbnails page the other targets the first of the Image Pages. All the thumbnails are linked to image pages and are targeted to load into right iFrame (Main Body) .

Once you get a handle on them Ann, I think you would like the simplicity and functionality they provide.

Chip
H
Hexebah
Sep 1, 2004
Some of the WPG’s are built with standard Frames, but many of them are built with Inline Frames.

An example of how to customize the Centered Frame 1 – Basic style.

1. Duplicate the Centered Frame 1 – Basic preset folder as a working copy.
2. Open the FrameSet.htm page from this duplicate folder. This page should contain 2 iFrames.
3. Make a new two column, single row table underneath the existing layout. Try and keep the proportions of the table and cells similar to the existing one for now.
4. Drag & drop the two iFrames into each cell of the new table. This is what I call a BodyTable (most of the site action goes on in here via the iFrames).
5. Transfer any other Tokens you want to keep and incorporate them into the new layout.
6. Select the old layout and delete it. Customize the page further until happy. this will be the index.htm(l) page generated by the WPG. You can change the css styles, located in the images folder (which is also where any new layout images are to be placed).

The SubPage.htm file generates the final Page.htm files that display the standard size images and can also be customized, as can the Thumbnail.htm file. These are the pages targeted by the iFrames in the FrameSet.htm page.

If you want to try and incorporate an existing layout, copy/paste as much as you can from your existing layout into the (duplicate) Centered Frame 1 – Basic style. You will also need to transfer copies of the images to the WPG images folder.

I try and build all my page layouts with multiple horizontal tables, stacked on top of each other. One for a header, another for a navbar and again for a body section (usually made up two horizontal cells – Vertical navbar on left, body on right) and one for a footer, etc.

Often an existing page layout can be split into separate tables very quickly by pasting in the entire layout and removing unwanted rows to create a header. Paste the entire layout into the document again and do the same as above but this time keep the navbar. Do the same for the other sections and you will end up with your layout using stacked tables. I design layouts in Photoshop with this in mind. The final layout is saved as multiple horizontally cropped files from ImageReady.

Ok, that may sound weird to humans – I haven’t been here that long :0]

Chip

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections