Posted By
Artifice
Aug 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hiya all,

Okay, I have been using Fireworks for years and finally decided I must teach myself how to do this stuff in Photoshop…..mainly because Photoshop is so damned fast and I can no longer spend 6 hours on one illustration anymore wiating for Fireworks to catch up!

OK, I am trying to add a mask to text to add scratches to the lettering.

This is an example of what I want to do in Photoshop.

http://www.artifice-design.co.uk/fringe_header2.gif

I made this in Fireworks and in there all you do is put a black and white "mask" image (containing the scratches) over the text vector, highlight both objects and then select Group as Mask. I have been studying masks all week in Photoshop and still cannot find out how to do this very simple task!

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Mark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
David
Aug 21, 2003
Ok, well if you set the layer to Darken, you’d have the artifacts over the background as well – so make a selection from the text and use that as a layer mask for the artifact layer.

As for letting the background show through the scratches (something I didn’t notice since the background on your image was black anyway) you could use the black as a selection and ‘hide’ that selection in the text layer, allowing anything on a layer below to show through.

"Artifice" wrote in message
No, that isn’t what I want. I want to isolate the ‘artefact’ layer inside the text and not have it extend outside the text. In Fireworks creating a Mask Group puts the ‘artifact’ layter inside the text and removes it from anywhere else.

Also, I don’t want the black and white colours in the ‘artefact’ mask – I want to the white parts to allow the text colour to show through and the black parts to scrub out or ‘scratch’ the text, letting the background show through.

If I do what you suggest the artefacts are all over my background layer and also don’t affect the text the way a mask should……
Any way to do what to me seems a simple process after years of Fireworks? It seems a pain to have to do all my text effects like this in Fireworks or Illustrator and then import them.

Mark

If you have both images (1 for the text and 1 for the black
‘artifacts’),
you could pop the black image as a layer above the text layer and
change the
layer mode from Normal to Darken or Multiply.

HTH

Hiya all,

Okay, I have been using Fireworks for years and finally decided I
must
teach myself how to do this stuff in Photoshop…..mainly because Photoshop is so damned fast and I can no longer spend 6 hours on
one
illustration anymore wiating for Fireworks to catch up!

I made this in Fireworks and in there all you do is put a black
and
white "mask" image (containing the scratches) over the text
vector,
highlight both objects and then select Group as Mask. I have been studying masks all week in Photoshop and still cannot find out how
to
do this very simple task!

Mark

W
wes
Aug 21, 2003
If you make your background black as you have in your Fireworks image, place your colored text. then add a mask to the text layer and use the one your have already used for the scratches.

Hiya all,

Okay, I have been using Fireworks for years and finally decided I must teach myself how to do this stuff in Photoshop…..mainly because Photoshop is so damned fast and I can no longer spend 6 hours on one illustration anymore wiating for Fireworks to catch up!

I made this in Fireworks and in there all you do is put a black and white "mask" image (containing the scratches) over the text vector, highlight both objects and then select Group as Mask. I have been studying masks all week in Photoshop and still cannot find out how to do this very simple task!

Mark

A
Artifice
Aug 21, 2003
Sorry, I was not clear…..I am only using this picture as an example. I want to make effects like this only in Photoshop from now on to speed up my workflow as I am using Photoshop 7 for my compositing software now…..I don’t want to have to go into Fireworks, fiddle about in there and then export/import into Photoshop.

So, I want to be able to do this on Photoshop as easily as I can in Fireworks if possible…….

If you make your background black as you have in your Fireworks
image, place
your colored text. then add a mask to the text layer and use the one
your
have already used for the scratches.
A
Artifice
Aug 21, 2003
Hi,

Thanks for all the help…….

Ok, well if you set the layer to Darken, you’d have the artifacts
over the
background as well – so make a selection from the text and use that
as a
layer mask for the artifact layer.

Could you run through the stages of how to do this – I can make the a copy of the text as a selection but cannot apply this selection to a mask – I can only seem to paint or add a gradient to my mask……

As for letting the background show through the scratches (something
I didn’t
notice since the background on your image was black anyway) you
could use
the black as a selection and ‘hide’ that selection in the text
layer,
allowing anything on a layer below to show through.

Sorry, again could you give a bit of detail on this – I am new to Photoshop 7 and cannot seem to ‘hide’ the selection in the text layer as you suggest.

Thanks for your time, it’s helping a lot!
Mark
D
David
Aug 21, 2003
Howdy,

A layer mask is essentially a non-destructive way of removing part of a layer. Briefly, you can make a selection (i.e. the text) from any layer and apply a layer mask to ‘hide’ or ‘reveal’ that selection on any other layer (Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide/Reveal Selection).

So if you used the black artifacts as a ‘hide’ layer mask on the text layer, anything beneath it would show through.

Does this help?

Hi,

Thanks for all the help…….

Ok, well if you set the layer to Darken, you’d have the artifacts
over the
background as well – so make a selection from the text and use that
as a
layer mask for the artifact layer.

Could you run through the stages of how to do this – I can make the a copy of the text as a selection but cannot apply this selection to a mask – I can only seem to paint or add a gradient to my mask……

As for letting the background show through the scratches (something
I didn’t
notice since the background on your image was black anyway) you
could use
the black as a selection and ‘hide’ that selection in the text
layer,
allowing anything on a layer below to show through.

Sorry, again could you give a bit of detail on this – I am new to Photoshop 7 and cannot seem to ‘hide’ the selection in the text layer as you suggest.

Thanks for your time, it’s helping a lot!
Mark

D
David
Aug 21, 2003
If you are looking to recreate the artifacts, you could try adding noise on a new layer (filled with white) and altering the threshold and erasing areas as you see fit (or, as in my other reply, using layer masks to do it non-destructively).

HTH

Sorry, I was not clear…..I am only using this picture as an example. I want to make effects like this only in Photoshop from now on to speed up my workflow as I am using Photoshop 7 for my compositing software now…..I don’t want to have to go into Fireworks, fiddle about in there and then export/import into Photoshop.

So, I want to be able to do this on Photoshop as easily as I can in Fireworks if possible…….

If you make your background black as you have in your Fireworks
image, place
your colored text. then add a mask to the text layer and use the one
your
have already used for the scratches.

A
Artifice
Aug 21, 2003
Okay, I think I am getting somewhere – I may even get this concept by today!!! 😉

I have now managed to make a mask from the text itself so that, for instance, when I paint across the text it only shows inside the text…..now for the next bit…..

My artefact data is not a selection, it is a black and white bitmap imported into a seperate layer from the text. I cannot seem to make this bitmap a selection and use it to mask the text mask…..

I know I could paint the scratches on, but I would like to do it the way I describe above if possible. I have collated many black and white images containing artefacts (all made using threshold under Image>Adjustments) that I am using on my current magazine projects and they contain a lot of unique data that I cannot recreate by painting – so I would love to use these bitmaps as ‘artefact’ masks………

Thanks for your patience!
Mark

A layer mask is essentially a non-destructive way of removing part
of a
layer. Briefly, you can make a selection (i.e. the text) from any
layer and
apply a layer mask to ‘hide’ or ‘reveal’ that selection on any other
layer
(Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide/Reveal Selection).

So if you used the black artifacts as a ‘hide’ layer mask on the
text layer,
anything beneath it would show through.

Does this help?
D
David
Aug 21, 2003
Ok, I think what you’re looking to do here is to select just the black. You *could* do this using the magic wand and then do ‘Select > Similar’ but you’d have much more control if you do ‘Select > Colour Range’. The range for the shadows may work well, alternatively use the colour picker to select the blackest black on the layer.

Once you have your selection, you can turn off the artifact layer, select the text layer and use the selection as a layer mask (hide).

How’s that?

Okay, I think I am getting somewhere – I may even get this concept by today!!! 😉

I have now managed to make a mask from the text itself so that, for instance, when I paint across the text it only shows inside the text…..now for the next bit…..

My artefact data is not a selection, it is a black and white bitmap imported into a seperate layer from the text. I cannot seem to make this bitmap a selection and use it to mask the text mask…..
I know I could paint the scratches on, but I would like to do it the way I describe above if possible. I have collated many black and white images containing artefacts (all made using threshold under Image>Adjustments) that I am using on my current magazine projects and they contain a lot of unique data that I cannot recreate by painting – so I would love to use these bitmaps as ‘artefact’ masks………
Thanks for your patience!
Mark

A layer mask is essentially a non-destructive way of removing part
of a
layer. Briefly, you can make a selection (i.e. the text) from any
layer and
apply a layer mask to ‘hide’ or ‘reveal’ that selection on any other
layer
(Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide/Reveal Selection).

So if you used the black artifacts as a ‘hide’ layer mask on the
text layer,
anything beneath it would show through.

Does this help?

A
Artifice
Aug 21, 2003
Alright, that was good, colour range was simple and useful – now all I have to do is work out how to get this selection into the text layer and become the mask for the text.

At the moment the artefacts are masking themselves. I need to make this selection jump into the text layer – which I cannot seem to do at all……

So close yet so far…….. 😉

Ok, I think what you’re looking to do here is to select just the
black. You
*could* do this using the magic wand and then do ‘Select > Similar’
but
you’d have much more control if you do ‘Select > Colour Range’. The
range
for the shadows may work well, alternatively use the colour picker
to select
the blackest black on the layer.

Once you have your selection, you can turn off the artifact layer,
select
the text layer and use the selection as a layer mask (hide).
How’s that?
WS
Warren Sarle
Aug 21, 2003
No, that isn’t what I want. I want to isolate the ‘artefact’ layer inside the text and not have it extend outside the text. In Fireworks creating a Mask Group puts the ‘artifact’ layter inside the text and removes it from anywhere else.

In Photoshop, that’s called a Clipping Group. It’s listed in the index for Photoshop help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections