KP
Posted By
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone else try if he has the same problems…

My problem, presented step by step:
1. open an image
2. convert to LAB colour
3. go to channels and select Lightness channel
4. press B (pick up the brush tool)
5. move your cursor over the image (if possible, over some even region)
6. Alt-Click to pick the underlying colour
7. paint

At this stage the bug should be obvious, unless the problem exists on my computer configuration only. My brush paints in a brighter colour than the one i had picked and if i start repeating steps 6 and 7 i eventually reach white colour.
I haven’t read much of the PS manual or help files, but such behaviour was completely unexpected. My partial solution was to pick the colour from a tad darker regions to get closer to the wanted shade of gray.

If it’s a bug, how do i report it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 8, 2005
Have you got the brush blending mode set to Normal?
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 9, 2005
Yes, it’s set to normal.
Have you tried it?
DL
David_Lingard
Oct 9, 2005
Works perfectly for me, no difference in shade at all. XP Pro, SP2. Have you tried resetting the prefs?
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 9, 2005
No, i haven’t reset my preferences and i’d rather not reset it. Do you have any idea what setting in preferences could cause such behaviour, so i could change only that value and keep all other settings as they are?

Thanks!
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 9, 2005
resetting the prefrences is a general cure all for may photoshop strangenesses. it’s not user editable. you delete it and it’s recreated on next use. save out all your custom stuff like brushes, actions, swatches and styles etc to your own named sets before resetting your prefrences.
KP
Ken_Pratt
Oct 9, 2005
If it is any help I did the following test on three PC’s.

A new image was created and filled with mid grey 127 Red, green and blue and converted it to Lab mode. In the channels pallet I selected the lightness channel and with the brush tool enabled I pressed the alt key to sample the grey. Using the sampled grey I painted on the image of the lightness channel. In CS and CS2 painting with the sampled colour lightened the image, but this did not happen with version 7.

Not sure what this all means but the difference is interesting and I wonder if anyone else would like to try it.

Regards,
Ken
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 10, 2005
Wow, it seems i’m not alone.
I’m not yet sure about resetting PS… i usually don’t paint in the Lightness channel 🙂
KP
Ken_Pratt
Oct 10, 2005
This is the first time I have ever tried to paint in the lightness channel also. PS 7 is on my Internet PC, CS and CS2 are on my Graphics PC and CS2 is on my laptop. As I have tried this on two PC’s it would seem unlikely to be the pref files but I have been wrong before, 🙂
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 10, 2005
Ken: Sorry, but english is my second foreign language and i’m not really sure if i understand your last post as i should – are you telling me that preferences are to be blamed for my problem?
JK
Jeremy_Knudsen
Oct 10, 2005
Shouldn’t you be running Windows XP *SP2*?
KP
Ken_Pratt
Oct 11, 2005
Kekec,

What I am saying is I don’t think the problem is pref files as I see the symptoms on more than one PC.

Jeremy,

FYI all my PC’s are running XP home service pack 2

Regards,
Ken
L
LenHewitt
Oct 11, 2005
Kekec,

Whenever Photoshop starts acting strangely, it is always worth deleting the prefs file as per the Forum FAQs as a first step in fault finding.
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 11, 2005
I deleted my prefs file (as described in FAQ – pressing and holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift during startup), but the problem still exists. Nothing is different… except my workspace 🙁

Any other ideas?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 11, 2005
You need to make sure that you did it correctly – a dialog box will pop up asking if you want to delete your preferences if you did it correctly.
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, i did it correctly. Twice.
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 12, 2005
Any suggestions?
Should i report a bug?
KP
Ken_Pratt
Oct 13, 2005
Kekec,

I think it is always a good idea but not sure if it makes a lot of difference anymore.

I would sure like to know why all of a sudden Photoshop seems so much more fussy about graphics cards and will not run with some manufacturers install of XP Pro when all previous versions do. Something has changed to cause this but the only thing I have read is that the why the screen display is handled has changed so you can see brushes against a gray background.

Having said all that I wonder what chance we have with a problem so obscure as painting with the same colour. on the lightness channel in Lab mode causing it to get lighter. 🙂 After all David Lingard said it was ok on his system so it looks it may be just you and I who observe this phenomena!

Regards,
Ken
KP
Kekec_Pasteta
Oct 13, 2005
Ken, you are right! I’ll try to find some sort of bug reporting form, but i won’t brake my leg for it.

Thanks Ken and all others!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections