MS
Posted By
maria_stephens
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, im not sure if this is a photoshop thing or a quark thing but here goes. Im trying to make separations in a quark document, whihc has a cmyk image from photoshop in it, the colours used in the image are pantone colours but quark doesn’t pick them up as separate colours. Any idea on different ways of saving the photoshop document so quark picks up these colours?? please help!! im using mac os x 10.3, photoshop 7 and quark 6.

thanks!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jul 15, 2004
If you want spot color you need to make a file with spot colors.
K
klmhicks
Jul 15, 2004
Maria

What is the file format of the image from PS? Quark should recognize the cmyk if that is what you are wanting, spot color is another story.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 15, 2004
There are 2 modes/formats that contain spot colors that will work with QXP.

1: Duotone mode saved as Photoshop EPS.

2: Multichannel or Grayscale or CMYK mode containing at least one spot channel saved as DSC2 <single file- color composite>.

Edit: The safest mode for DCS2 files destined for QXP is CMYK with all 4 channels intact (but blank where applicable), in addition the the spot channel(s).

Also: DCS2 files are designed for a separated workflow, and will print the low rez preview to a composite device.
JB
Joseph_Briggs
Jul 15, 2004
"whihc has a cmyk image from photoshop in it, the colours used in the image are pantone colours…"

Is it a CMYK image or a spot color image? It can be both with a multichannel DCS image, but it would help to know more about the image and file format.

If it is a duotone EPS or a multichannel DCS with the color data correctly placed in spot color channels, then it should work. Have you tried reimporting the image? I’ve found on my machine, Quark doesn’t always correctly import the color data along with the image but reimporting it usually solves the problem.

If on the other hand the file was created in the CMYK channels using spot color swatches, then you’ve got a CMYK file with no spot color information in it. If the image isn’t too complex and/or is well-organized in layers, you might be able to salvage it.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 15, 2004
Good call Joe.

Here’s $5 that says it is just a CMYK file that LOOKS like in has the spot colors in it.
MS
maria_stephens
Jul 15, 2004
The original document was a scanned image. basically a black logo with green and red sections in it. Usually all images taken into our quark docs are tiff’s. It’s not possible to use a duotone of it because of the original file. Im not totally familiar with the dcs option of saving, if i make the red and green sections as separate colour channels and save as a dcs will that format be readable by quark?? why can’t it be as simple as illustrator!!!

thanks for your help by the way…reaaaalllly appreciated x
MS
maria_stephens
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for all your help, I’ve finally cracked it! Believe it or not im just about to graduate with my MA in Graphic Design, and I’ve never been shown that. It’s amazing what useful and important stuff they leave out! Thanks again!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
You bring up a good point with "Illustrator".

Why don’t you just use the scan as a template and create a new vectored version of the logo in Illustrator? You will get much crisper results that way.
JB
Joseph_Briggs
Jul 15, 2004
D’oh. I’ll take that bet now, John! 😉

Ann has a point. Usually with the work you put into Photoshop to fix the scan and get the colors correctly in each channel, you can probably spend less time in Illustrator and get much better results and control (for trapping). Even if it’s more time, though, it can still be worth it. It depends on the image/logo.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections