DR
Posted By
Dan_Richardson
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I either leave Photoshop up and go to other applications or quit it, I frequently find that when I either open the application or return to it that the "ball" is spinning and one can not see any images. I force quite the application (as when the "ball" is spinning– as, I cannot quit using the menu with the spinning ball in operation.

After force quitting, if I try to start up Photoshop it will hang a the end of the start up during the "initialization" phase.

If I restart the maching, I am then able to use the application.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Dan Richardson

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 14, 2004
Dan

How much extra room do you have on your boot partition?

What partition/drive is your scratch disk assigned to?

Are you using OS X 10.3.4?

What version of Photoshop are you using?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2004
Have you tried trashing your Photoshop prefs.; and Repairing Permissions?
AS
andrew_spiering
Jul 15, 2004
what version of photoshop are you using… also do you have any scanners or digital camera’s and is it just initializing or is it a specific part that it hangs at?
DR
Dan_Richardson
Jul 15, 2004
I am using OS 10.3.4 with Photoshop CS (8.0).

I have not partitioned my HD but there is lots of room on it. I have 1.5 gigs of Ram and 37 Gig left free on my 75 gig drive.

I have an Epson 2450 Photo as a scanner, but it does not hang at that point.

I have repaired my permissions, but have not trashed my preferences.

Additional comments would be appreciated!

Dan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
The hanging could also be caused by a bad or conflicting font. What is the loading when the "hang" occurs?
DR
Dan_Richardson
Jul 15, 2004
Ann

The hang occurs only when I try to restart the application and the hang is during the "initialization" phase. As I said earlier, if I restart the computer– I can open the application without a problem.

Dan
GB
g_ballard
Jul 15, 2004
until you rule out the obvious stuff (referenced on post #1 link) — you may try Logging Out/In (instead of rebooting)…
DR
Dan_Richardson
Jul 15, 2004
It is a little early to declare victory but I followed Ann’s suggestions and got rid of AdobeFnt (about ten files_) and have not been able to recreate the problem.

Dan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
They’ll be back.

Those AdobeFnt files seem to breed in dark places and you may find over 40 of them from time to time.

The bad one is usually the largest — but it is easier to just trash the lot.
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 4, 2004
–>They’ll be back. Those AdobeFnt files seem to breed in dark places and you may find over 40 of them from time to time.

Had this same issue so I did a search and found Ann’s fix (it did work!). As soon as I trashed the fonts, CS launched again. Adobe needs to look into this.

I’m not a Unix guy but I think there’s a way to setup what’s called a "cron script" that will delete these suckers on a regular basis. I may have to look into this. Anyway, thanks Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
Andrew:

Fecund AdobeFnt files have been a scourge for several versions of Adobe’s software now.

It is actually less of a problem with CS than it was before. (Earlier version of Illustrator and InDesign were particularly bedevilled by this problem.)

There is a Shareware program on the web which is supposed to clean out the adobefnt. files but I find it just as easy to do it with a "Find"
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 4, 2004
I found some freeware called ChroniX which (once I figure out how to make a script) will delete them. There are also these FavIcon’s that Safari gets all the time that eventually slows down Safari so I can see the need for some kind of utility that will clean shop. Cron works anyway, I just don’t have a clue how to access it. This shareware looks simple enough and when my wife (the Unix queen) shows me the syntax, I think this will be a good solution. I’ll look into DeepSix too. Thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
I have just noticed that the latest version of DeepSix claims: << Fixed a *potential* problem of deleting any AdobeFnt.DB files which *supposedly* causes Adobe Illustrator not to run. >>

I HOPE that means that DeepSix will NOT remove the AdobeFnt.db file because it is a necessary component of Acrobat.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
Ann,

There is a Shareware program (DeepSix)

It’s even better, it’s freeware or "donation"ware, though my inclination to donate is strong right now. Thanks for the tip, I just downloaded it.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
DeepSix will be a godsend until I upgrade to Acrobat 6. There’s no way to use the Distiller version that comes with Acrobat 5.0.5 without removing all those AdobeFnt.lst files first.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections