BF
Posted By
Bob_Faulkner
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Epson recommends assigning different profiles to RGB images as ways of color correcting an image. They say that the file will then print differently as well as look different on screen.

My question is, if this is so and I have a calibrated monitor, can I assign a different profile to an RGB file and assume that when I convert the file to CMYK that Photoshop will do its best to make that CMYK file look as close as possible to the RGB screen image; or, does Photoshop use the RGB numbers which do not change when I assigne different profiles even though the appearance of the image changes on screen.

That any sense here? Is my question understandable?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jul 14, 2004
Read all about it here:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 14, 2004
You can assign a profile to an RGB image but you need to make sure the colors are going to be within gamut of the CMYK profile (SWOP, Sheetfed or custom) in PS.

What is referred in your post as color correcting may not look like a correction, but more of a reality correction so to speak, a slight dulling down of the saturation levels for a press to be able to reproduce. Assign Wide Gamut profile to see what I mean.

An accurately calibrated/profiled monitor will show you which assigned profile gives the best look within the range of CMYK. After assiging, you can soft proof by setting your Proof Setup under View menu to your CMYK profile to see what it will do to detail in saturated colors such as in clothing and flowers. Changing the rendering intent (i.e. Perceptual, Relative…etc.) affects this as well.

It’s best to start out with the original profile, if any, embedded by the device during image capture. Or assign a profile of that device to see what you get.
PR
Paul Richardson
Jul 14, 2004
On 7/13/04 11:40 PM, in article ,
"" wrote:

Epson recommends assigning different profiles to RGB images as ways of color correcting an image. They say that the file will then print differently as well as look different on screen.

My question is, if this is so and I have a calibrated monitor, can I assign a different profile to an RGB file and assume that when I convert the file to CMYK that Photoshop will do its best to make that CMYK file look as close as possible to the RGB screen image; or, does Photoshop use the RGB numbers which do not change when I assigne different profiles even though the appearance of the image changes on screen.

That any sense here? Is my question understandable?

A newbie question but, how/where do I go about calibrating a monitor, why would I do this ?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections