JS
Posted By
Jayne_Stokes
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I convert a photograph to a dot screen image like the Wall Street Journal uses for head shots? It’s a combination of lines and dots. Is there a filter or plug-in for this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 13, 2004
Andromeda has a filter for this called Cutline. I believe Flaming Pear has a filter that does something similar. I think those actual WSJ illoes are done by hand.
J
jonf
Jul 13, 2004
You have to do it by hand to get the sort of sophistication involved, where the dot patterns actually follow the contours of the face.

But you can do a stippling effect with the filter>texture>grain dialog. I like setting it to "Regular" with high contrast, but play with the various setting to get what you need.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections