TB
Posted By
Tony_Broskowski
Dec 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photo elements. I have spent this entire AM trying to create new layers layers in a test photo. The test photo has some dark background I would like to select out into a separate ayer so I can edit it without affecting the figures in the center of the photo

I select an element (eg. the figures in the center)in the photo using magic lasso, then I try to make that a new layer by dragging the selection over to the Layers window.

I keep gettting the message that it cannot produce a layer because "no pixels were selected". When I read the manual or HELP (what a joke) on "selecting pixels" it tells me to do what I have already done (use a lasso tool.

In brief, the tutorial does teach you how to create new layers within an existing photo. But thetutorial limits itself to pasting in artwork from other files to create new layers in a photo).

How does one create layers composed of elements in a photo that starts out with just the background layer?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 21, 2003
Tony, instead of dragging the selection over to the Layers window, try this:
1. Open Layers palette to side of the image on which you’re working (you
probably already did that)
2. Create selection with Lasso tool; make sure Layers palette shows that Background layer is the active one.
3. Use the menu sequence Layer>New>Layer via Copy and hit OK. Your selection should now appear on its own layer in the Layers palette, above the Background layer.
4. To edit the selection on the new layer, click on that Layer in the Layers palette to make it active.

Hope that helps.

Chuck
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 21, 2003
Hi Tony,

This is a common "oops", and once you get used to it, never a problem again. A new layer has nothing in it, so there are no pixels to select even though it looks like you’re making a selection. When you are trying to select pixels, and have multiple layers open, make sure that you make the layer with the image area you want to select active. The easiest way to do that is to have the "Layers" pallette open and select the appropriate layer there.

If all you have is the background layer, and you’ve got a selection made, then a right click or a ctrl-click will give you a pop-up menu that will allow you to do several things, including create a new layer via copy or cut.

Others may have other suggestions as well, but the big thing is to make sure you’re working in a layer that has stuff in it. One way to check, especially for small items in a larger image, is to use the "eye" icon in the Layers pallette to turn off or on the various layers you’re working with.

HTH and ho Ho HO!

Kyle
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 21, 2003
Hi Chuck!

You weren’t there when I started typing.

Have a Happy and a Merry!!!!

Kyle
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 21, 2003
Hi, Kyle – same to you!!
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 21, 2003
Begin by working either on a duplicate of your original or a copy so as to leave the original in pristine condition as though it were the negative. Also, double click the "background" layer and accept the offer to turn it into "Layer 0" as not all editing functions are available to a background layer.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections