Can’t Delete Files Within the CS Browser?

GS
Posted By
George_Stark
Jul 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
While editing my latest batch of RAW files I hit the delete button to trash a file but the browser refused to allow this. The little trash can icon on the browser remains greyed out while I have my latest images present. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening?
Here is the whole story…. I run a G4, OS 10.3.4 a gig of memory and PS CS etc… On my latest trip when I filled up a CF card (I shot with Cannon 10D) I would dump to CD using a gadget called ROADSTOR (PortableCD burner) when I got back I transfered RAW files from CD to a Firewire hardrive. I first noticed that all these files transfered as READ ONLY files, Why? I don’t know that either. So I changed several hundred files to READ and WRITE, but still the browser will not allow me to trash files. The files seem to be normal when I’m in the FINDER. I can trash them, copy etc. I can work with the files as normal in PS, so that is not an issue. Its just the trashing of files from the browser which is handy when it works. I’m tired of pulling my hair out and thought maybe you guys had a quick answer.
Thanks
George

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GS
George_Stark
Jul 11, 2004
Well about 5mins after posting I discovered that the folders the files were in had also come across as READ ONLY, so thats why the browser refused to let me trash. Once I changed that, everything became normal.
Still if anyone knows why the files transfer as read only? I’d like to know how to prevent that if possiable. Thanks
George
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 12, 2004
Could it be a "Permissions" issue?
(Did you Repair Permissions both before and after installing software?)

or could it be a Canon security "Feature" so that files are not inadvertently deleted?
GS
George_Stark
Jul 12, 2004
Ann
I did repair permissions before and after the installation of OS 10.3.4. After reading your posting I ran a repair permissions again but it didn’t cure the problem. (If its a problem… maybe its normal heh) I again inserted one of my ROADSTOR CD’s and transfered just a couple CRW files to both my external firewire drive and one of my internal drives and the files were once again read only. I then transfered the entire cd (thinking that maybe there was some invisible files that needed to come along with the CRW files) but again failure. It seems that OSX thinks that whatever comes from these CDs remains as a CD even though its on a hardrive .. so maybe ROADSTOR is doing something though documation does not indicate that this happens. When I do a direct firewire card reader transfer I don’t have this issue. Oh Well, the important thing is that the files are ok. It just adds a few more bumps in the road I have to deal with before playing with the images heh..
Thanks
George
R
Ram
Jul 12, 2004
George,

When you copy images to your hard drive, have you tried putting them into a folder inside your hard drive (as opposed to your Desktop)?
GS
George_Stark
Jul 12, 2004
Ramon
The answer is yes. I make a new folder with the "Shoot Name" and dump the files in said folder. I also made test folders on the other drives. All results ended the same. I see some weird files on the CD’s .. In some of the canon folders there are some execuable unix files? Example.. File name "DS_STO~1" but I have the problem even when I just import the CRW files and leave these files alone but this is an area that is getting way over my head. Let me know when you figure it out heh..
Thanks
George
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 12, 2004
It looks like ROADSTOR is setting the read-only flag on the files it burns to CD. I have seen this before with CDs burned using software running on Windows. This might be due to the format that the burner employs or a limitation of the backup system itself. As for the presence of the DS_STO~1 files, these are Mac OS X Finder files (normally hidden) that have had their file names truncated to fit on a plain ISO9660-formatted CD (with 8.3 format file names and 64-character max path lengths, I think). ISO9660 does allow for extended file names and path lengths but those features typically are provided as options in the burning software. I assume your ROADSTOR does not provide an interface to the burning software so you are probably stuck.

I am curious as to how the DS_STO~1 files ended up on your hard disk. Have you by any chance in the recent past connected your camera card to the Mac (e.g. using a card reader or direct cable connection)? Because that’s the only way I can imagine the file names being translated to 8.3 format, i.e. the card was formatted as FAT16 (another 8.3 file name format); you opened the card in Mac OS X; Mac OS X stuck the DS_STO~1 file on it; and then later, ROADSTOR came along and backed up your image files to CD, along with the DS_STO~1 files. Could this have been the case?

What happens when you transfer images to the Mac via card reader or direct cable connection? Are the files read-only as well?
GS
George_Stark
Jul 12, 2004
Graham
Yes the ROADSTOR is a portable CD burner that reads CF cards directly. It is also a DVD player MP3 etc.. You are correct, I’m not interfaceing directly with the Mac and have no control over burning software.
I think your theory is correct! I’m looking at one of the ROADSTOR burned CD’s as I write this and this is how the folders are layed out. ROADSTOR created a folder "RDST0001" within that folder is the "DCIM" Folder and one of those files called "DS_STO~1" and a Folder called "TRASHE~1". Now within the "TRASHE~1" is another of those Unix executable files called "_501~1". Also within the "DCIM" folder there are two more of those "DS_STO~1" files. ….
Now the first time I opened up a ROADSTOR CD I just selected the main folder "RDST0001" and transfered everything to my hardrive.. thats how I ended up with all those little files on my hardrive. So now I just transfer the CRW files alone but they still come across as read only. Thanks for your insight.
George
When I transfer files via a Firewire Card Reader I get all the files normally with the read and write permissions etc… no problems.
GS
George_Stark
Jul 15, 2004
To Anybody interested..
I hate calling a tech support line but thats what I finally did. I talked with the folks who make the ROADSTOR and I was told that what I’m experianceing is completely normal. We got into it a little because I was having a hard time understanding why, when I burn image files to a CD with the G4 they are not write protected but they are when the ROADSTOR burns them. In all honesty the technical aspect of this is way over my head. Bottom line is that this is the way the device works! .. I have found that if I transfer all the CRW files over to the hardrive. All I have to do is select them all at once, then pull up the INFO BOX (on the mac) change the read write permissions and bingo all files are changed! So I don’t have to do each separate file one by one.
Thanks to all!
George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections