Dec 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using PSE 1.0. Machine specs are:

Athlon 1400
512 MB RAM
40GB primary drive (with Windows swap file)
80GB secondary drive (with PSE scratch disk)
Radeon 8500 using Catalyst 3.7 drivers
Via KT266A chipset
Promise Ultra100 RAID controller
Windows 2000 Professional SP4

Problem is this; when file associations for .jpg files are set to PSE, every program that accesses those files (for example, Nero when burning them to CD) becomes extremely slow, and it takes several seconds for it to list each file in the directory. If I reset the file associations to Windows Imaging, everything responds normally, and all sluggishness disappears. It seems that PSE is trying to do something in the background when it has control over the file association, but I cannot determine what it is doing, or how to turn it off. Any help would be appreciated

TIA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JG
James_G._Robertson
Dec 24, 2003
I have many problems with associations of PSE in XP. The Windows Image and Fax Viewer tries to take over (inherited Bill Gates’ peronality).

When I manually with Folders options set an association to PSE, I find it is not one of the default options and I have to browse for it. Then a little later I find that association is gone.

Sometimes the PSE icons disappear.

Today, I the Cisco wireless control program got associated to *.img files and I can’t get it out of the preferred association list.

Microsoft help says that if there are association problems with their Windows Image and Fax Viewer then to contract the third party software vendor as they have programmed it incorrectly.

Anybody else having these problems with XP?

(On my old computer with W2K, things worked better.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
I guess I’ve avoided this problem by not having my file associations set to Elements, which is a great editing program but not an efficient image viewer. I downloaded IrfanView and set that as my default image viewer; if I want to edit an image, I just right-click on it in the Windows view and tell it to Open With Elements.

Chuck
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 24, 2003
Me too, Chuck. Irfan Skiljian certainly has written a great little piece of software!

Dick
M
madscientist
Dec 24, 2003
Thanks, I suspected that this might be the only fix offered (and it does work), but I’d like to know what is running in the background that doesn’t show up in Task Manager that is hogging so much overhead just for peace of mind…
JG
James_G._Robertson
Dec 25, 2003
Hmm. I still don’t know quite what I need to do. Yet anohter viewing program does not seam to be what should be necessary.

Jim Robertson
M
madscientist
Dec 27, 2003
It does seem ridiculous. All I can figure is that even when previewing .jpg files in the Windows browser, PSE is running some kind of limited "tools" options to speed up loading if you double click it from there.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections