Posted By
pac1953
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m still cutting my teeth with PS.

I’m trying to find the best way to to take a b/w scan from a drawing that has information on both the front and the back. (B/W CADD drawings). The front side has just some very little information on it while the back has the bulk of the info. Right now, I open both scans up, copy one layer to the other so that it appears on a new layer, give it a little transparency so I can see the layer below, rotate the layer so the top layer info lines up with the bottom one. I then erase out the unneeded info from the top layer and then merge the two layers and I have my correct, composite drawing.

As these are B/W scans, is there an easier way to grab the "garbage" from the top layer more quickly than erasing around irregular edges and the like? It takes some time to do this and there must be an better, faster method.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

PC

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

-xiray-
Jan 16, 2004
On 15 Jan 2004 16:52:55 -0800, (PC) wrote:

As these are B/W scans, is there an easier way to grab the "garbage" from the top layer more quickly than erasing around irregular edges and the like? It takes some time to do this and there must be an better, faster method.

PC

If I understand you correctly then, yes there’s probably an easier procedure.

After you place your scans on separate layers, rather than decreasing the opacity of one of the layers so that you see through, leave the opacity at 100%.

AND instead, select ONE of your layers select some white area with the magic wand and if all the white is not selected (like the white areas surrounded with black like in the letter "O"), then choose Select / Similar so that all the white is selected. Now delete all the white area. Now all the info from both layers should be visible at 100% opacity.

If you still want to lower the opacity of one of the layers, then go ahead.
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 17, 2004
PC wrote:
I’m still cutting my teeth with PS.

I’m trying to find the best way to to take a b/w scan from a drawing that has information on both the front and the back. (B/W CADD drawings). The front side has just some very little information on it while the back has the bulk of the info. Right now, I open both scans up, copy one layer to the other so that it appears on a new layer, give it a little transparency so I can see the layer below, rotate the layer so the top layer info lines up with the bottom one. I then erase out the unneeded info from the top layer and then merge the two layers and I have my correct, composite drawing.

PC,

Here are three things to try, each assuming you have scanned the drawing in grayscale mode. The line art setting of your scanner will not work.

1) Scan in grayscale mode, then use Image>Adjust>Levels to make the darks darker and the whites whiter. This should clean most, if not all, of the garbage.

2) Overlay your images, then use the sliders in Layer properties to allow only the darkest areas of your upper layer to superimpose themselves.

3) If the garbage is in the form of many tiny dark areas, try using the Dust&Scratches filter.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections