How can one save Kodak PCD files in Adobe PSD format?

GS
Posted By
George_Scott
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had some old slides scanned and put on a CD. The lab put them on a Kodak Photo CD that stores the files in PCD format. I can open the files but I want to put them into PSD format so I can do all the things that Elements offers me. For some reason, I cannot save the file in PSD format. Is there a solution?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
Have you moved them off of the CD and on to your hard drive? If not, you need to do that first. Then see if you can open them in Elements and resave as PSDs.

If they’re already on your hard drive and won’t convert to PSD, try another format like TIFF or even JPEG. If you can get them to one of those, then you could go back and change them again to PSD. Or, if you can get them to TIFF, you could just leave them in that format, because it’s also non-lossy and supports layers.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 19, 2003
To echo Beth, you must open a .pcd file first.
There are 5 embedded resolutions in each file, and you choose the rez you want at which to open:

192×128 (72KB)
384×256 (288KB)
768×512 (1.125MB)
1536×1024 (4.5MB)
3072×2048 (18MB)

Then you can save as .psd, .tif, .jpg, whatever.

Mac
GS
George_Scott
Dec 19, 2003
Thanks for the tips. I’ll let you know how it works out.
GS
George_Scott
Dec 21, 2003
I was able to save the files after all. I tried saving as high res JPEG files to my hard drive with the same pixel dimensions as the originals (3072×2048 pixels, 18MB, 300ppi). Then I was able to save each JPEG as a PSD with the same dimensions. Not sure where I went wrong in the first place but everything’s now OK. Thanks again.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 21, 2003
Cut out the JPG middle step, save directly to PSD.
No sense throwing out quality with the very first step.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections