Extraction using masks – what am I missing?

WC
Posted By
wizard_chef
Jul 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to extract an object from an image using an ellipse that has a gradient on it so the extracted image is fuzzy on the edges. This is a snap in Fireworks. I spent 2 hours in Photoshop and I finally gave up and just performed this op in Fireworks and cut and pasted the extracted images into Photoshop. Can anyone tell me how to do this!?

Pls reply to:

Thanks!

The cook

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

K
Kingdom
Jul 25, 2005
"wizard_chef" wrote in
news::

I want to extract an object from an image using an ellipse that has a gradient on it so the extracted image is fuzzy on the edges. This is a snap in Fireworks. I spent 2 hours in Photoshop and I finally gave up and just performed this op in Fireworks and cut and pasted the extracted images into Photoshop. Can anyone tell me how to do this!?
Pls reply to:

Thanks!

The cook

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/feathering.html

f=Ma well, nearly…
WC
wizard_chef
Jul 26, 2005
I was missing the "invert the selection" in the ellipse layer. Thanks.

Kingdom wrote:
"wizard_chef" wrote in
news::

Pls reply to:

Thanks!

The cook

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/feathering.html

f=Ma well, nearly…
WC
wizard_chef
Jul 26, 2005
OK. Still doesn’t work. Following exactly the procedure on the graphic-design site:

– choose an image with area to be extracted
– the next instruction on the site is ambiguous, but says "Draw your oval using the ellipse marquee making the selection active on a new layer." Well, when you draw the ellipse, it automatically goes onto a new layer. So now I have an ellipse drawn in the foreground color on top of my image I want to crop.
– next sentence: "Invert the selection …" When I do this the image goes from black (my foreground color) to white. Now I have a white ellipse on top of my original image rather than a black one. I’ve tried changing the opacity of the ellipse, etc. Still nothing works. I get the idea, you want a transparent ellipse on a black background so the black background will mask the image to be extracted. But how?

??? Other advice ???
WC
wizard_chef
Jul 26, 2005
OK, OK … I got it to work. I was using the wrong ellipse selection tool and some other stuff. But man, this is WAAAY too difficult in Photoshop! You can do this in about 5 steps in Fireworks. In Photoshop it is a couple of dozen steps.
V
Vern
Jul 27, 2005
once you have the selection (see the "marching ants") hit Ctl + J and the selection will be on its own layer.

"wizard_chef" wrote in message
OK, OK … I got it to work. I was using the wrong ellipse selection tool and some other stuff. But man, this is WAAAY too difficult in Photoshop! You can do this in about 5 steps in Fireworks. In Photoshop it is a couple of dozen steps.
V
Vern
Jul 27, 2005
feather the selection for fuzzy edges.

Pls reply to:

Thanks!

The cook
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jul 27, 2005
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:44:44 -0600, "Vern"
wrote:

feather the selection for fuzzy edges.
Image on background layer.
New layer above filled with white.
Copy of background layer above white layer with
ellipse selection on this layer.
Apply layer mask from icon at bottom of layer palette to this layer, if done correctly you will see image in oval selection through mask. Apply Gaussian blur (start with 20 and see if you like it) to this layer to feather edge.
HTH
MH
F
Faiser
Jul 27, 2005
So how would it work in Fireworks then?

WK
William Kazak
Sep 17, 2005
Use Firewoks then!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections