RS
Posted By
Richard_Sjolund
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Apple rep called me to say that the new water-cooled G5s are shipping.

Has anyone gotten theirs yet and loaded PS CS?? If so, what was your configuration (RAM, Hard drives, etc) and how does it seem to work?

I’m close to ordering one, but I’d like to see if the freezing problems and other issues have been sorted out on the newest G5 version.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 8, 2004
<< I’m close to ordering one, but I’d like to see if the freezing problems and other issues have been sorted out on the newest G5 version. >>

What freezing problems? I have none on my G5 2×2 under OS 10.3.4.

Oh THAT sort of "freezing"!
You have to buy your own Antifreeze at your local auto-parts store — I don’t need it for my non-liquid-cooled model.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 8, 2004
R134-A freon will be the next cooling solution…

OH,

can I say that?
R
Ram
Jul 8, 2004
Isn’t all that liquid cooling a harbinger of four-processor units?

( Just trying to reassure myself that purchasing a dual-boot G4 instead of the then-current early this year was a good decision. )

Now, Photoshop 9 tweaked for a 4-cpu unit would sound nice.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 8, 2004
My work area has 4 dual boots, but two are always running OS9, so in conclusion, dual booting a computer is a waste of time.

Hense, mutiple computers in the cage.
R
Ram
Jul 8, 2004
Mike,

When I buy a G5 (or G6), I’ll keep the G4 and leave it permanently running 9.2.2. For the time being, a dual booting G4 is very cost effective.
B
Buko
Jul 9, 2004
I read somewhere Apple has stopped making the Dual boot G4s and is now limited to selling the stock that is left.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 9, 2004
A G5 1.6 referb for 1299.00 is a better deal.
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Buko,

Yeah, I read that too –about eight months before I bought mine. 🙂
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Mike,

A G5 1.6 referb for 1299.00 is a better deal.

Not if you need to boot straight into native 9.2.2.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 9, 2004
duh.

;o)

But what I need to do in OS 9, doesn’t require massive CPU power and a used G4 can go from 3 to 6 hundred bucks.

So the cost of a referb G5 and used G4 is less than a dual G5 bloat box.

I need to run both environments all the time, plus Windows, *cough, professional.
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
So the cost of a referb G5 and used G4 is less than a dual G5 bloat box.

That’s a thought.
D
Dan-o
Jul 9, 2004
I don’t think enough people have them yet to determine if the Power Supply / Audio Grounding problems still exist in the new lineup. As for freezing problems I am not aware of any that were widespread. The only problems that were very common are the ones noted above, the worst side-effects of which, are usually various types of noise, some more obnoxious than others….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 9, 2004
I obviously got a good one: no freezing; audio is fine and it is normally deathly quiet (FAR quieter than the G4) except when burning CDs –then the fans rev-up a bit.
D
Dan-o
Jul 9, 2004
Yah, the only problem mine had was the PSU noise issue which would occur when activating Expose or dragging windows around. I used the "CHUD fix" to eliminate it. No problems at all. Performance wise it’s been a dream pretty much.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections