M
Posted By
MW
Jul 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am an intermediate-skilled photoshop user. Still have a good bit to learn.

During the creation of a web graphic, I have run into a weird issue. On this graphic, I have a top bar and a bottom bar for navigation.

Each bar has a color overlay, and I would like to put a drop shadow on each – dropping in different directions.

Each bar is in a separate layer, and these layers are not locked into each other (or maybe they are in a way I can’t see).

When I place the drop shadow affect on the top bar, it resets the bottom bar to match it – which, visually, makes it disappear. Of course, the opposite happens when I go to change the setting back in the bottom bar.

I’ve gone as far as just trashing one of the layers and completely recreating the bar in a new layer for the bottom. No dice. Photoshop is insisting that if the drop shadow is at a certain angle on the top bar, it has to be at the same angle for the bottom bar.

I know I could take care of this by alternating things when I am ready to slice and saving the slices twice. Somehow, though, it doesn’t seem like I should have to trouble with that.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PB
Phatty Boombatty
Jul 12, 2005
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:27:07 -0400, MW wrote:

I am an intermediate-skilled photoshop user. Still have a good bit to learn.

During the creation of a web graphic, I have run into a weird issue. On this graphic, I have a top bar and a bottom bar for navigation.
Each bar has a color overlay, and I would like to put a drop shadow on each – dropping in different directions.

Each bar is in a separate layer, and these layers are not locked into each other (or maybe they are in a way I can’t see).

When I place the drop shadow affect on the top bar, it resets the bottom bar to match it – which, visually, makes it disappear. Of course, the opposite happens when I go to change the setting back in the bottom bar.

I’ve gone as far as just trashing one of the layers and completely recreating the bar in a new layer for the bottom. No dice. Photoshop is insisting that if the drop shadow is at a certain angle on the top bar, it has to be at the same angle for the bottom bar.

I know I could take care of this by alternating things when I am ready to slice and saving the slices twice. Somehow, though, it doesn’t seem like I should have to trouble with that.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Mike

Perhaps this is over-simplistic, and admittedly, I’m not a Photoshop expert, but is the "Use Global Light" radio box (next to the angle setting) checked? If so, uncheck it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections