J
Posted By
Jake
Jul 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If you don’t mind assisting with a restoration project I’m doing, please view this link: http://home.midsouth.rr.com/mitchellsmith/

This is a late-19th century photo developed at 16×20 inches, and badly damaged over the years. It’s on a heavyweight matte (some type of parchment-feeling surface), glued to carboard (???). I photographed it with a 5mp digital camera outside on a cloudy day.

I’m pretty well-satisfied with where I am on it. For the price I’m charging I cannot work on it forever, and with restorations you are never "done." You just have to find an acceptable point to stop. However, I can invest a little more time in it, and I’d like to spend that time smoothing out the texture of the face. I’ve tried several methods (using PS7, btw), but I haven’t liked the results. The texture of the middle part of his forehead is my goal. Various blurring techniques and adjustment layers over blurred layers create a "puffy" fake look, for lack of a better way of putting it.

All input welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

jm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JAT
Jul 8, 2005
I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet but have you tried something like CleanSkinFX. I doesn’t always do a good job but sometimes it excels itself!

Alex

"Jake" wrote in message
If you don’t mind assisting with a restoration project I’m doing, please view this link: http://home.midsouth.rr.com/mitchellsmith/
This is a late-19th century photo developed at 16×20 inches, and badly damaged over the years. It’s on a heavyweight matte (some type of parchment-feeling surface), glued to carboard (???). I photographed it
with
a 5mp digital camera outside on a cloudy day.

I’m pretty well-satisfied with where I am on it. For the price I’m
charging
I cannot work on it forever, and with restorations you are never "done." You just have to find an acceptable point to stop. However, I can invest
a
little more time in it, and I’d like to spend that time smoothing out the texture of the face. I’ve tried several methods (using PS7, btw), but I haven’t liked the results. The texture of the middle part of his forehead is my goal. Various blurring techniques and adjustment layers over
blurred
layers create a "puffy" fake look, for lack of a better way of putting it.

Thanks,

jm

K
Kingdom
Jul 9, 2005
"Jake" wrote in
news:7Kxze.2041$:

This is a late-19th century photo developed at 16×20 inches, and badly damaged over the years. It’s on a heavyweight matte (some type of parchment-feeling surface), glued to carboard (???). I photographed it with a 5mp digital camera outside on a cloudy day.

I’m pretty well-satisfied with where I am on it. For the price I’m charging I cannot work on it forever, and with restorations you are never "done." You just have to find an acceptable point to stop. However, I can invest a little more time in it, and I’d like to spend that time smoothing out the texture of the face. I’ve tried several methods (using PS7, btw), but I haven’t liked the results. The texture of the middle part of his forehead is my goal. Various blurring techniques and adjustment layers over blurred layers create a "puffy" fake look, for lack of a better way of putting it.

Thanks,

jm

Think that’s the first one I’ve see that I would even start on.

Wish you luck.

f=Ma well, nearly…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections