B
Posted By
brucewj
Aug 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When you are taking the photographs make sure that you use 1/30 sec shutter speed.

Albert Baggetta wrote:

I’m taking pictures of my television screen and playing around with them — with my digital camera. Any special filters besides despeckle and dust removal that will help get rid of the television scan lines. Anyone know of any filters that will result in a clear shot. Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DH
Darrel Hoffman
Aug 19, 2003
When you are taking the photographs make sure that you use 1/30 sec shutter speed.

Isn’t TV broadcast at 24 fps? Or was in 29.97? I think it depends where you live…
H
Hecate
Aug 20, 2003
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:00:07 GMT, Bruce William Johnson
wrote:

TV broadcasts come out at 25fps. Consequently, 1/30 will still be too fast. Given what you can actually set on a camera, you need 1/20 (which is usually available – if not 1/15 will definitely be). of course, for a lot of digital cameras you won’t have any control whatever.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
M
MCL
Aug 20, 2003
In news:hVu0b.364$, Darrel
Hoffman deftly typed:
Isn’t TV broadcast at 24 fps? Or was in 29.97? I think it depends where you live…

NTSC: 29.97fps
PAL or SECAM: 25fps

Martin.
"The known is finite, The unknown infinite"
T.H.Huxley
M
MCL
Aug 20, 2003
In news:, Bruce William Johnson deftly
typed:
Have you actually tried this? Does it give acceptable result? I would have thought that a tv signal being interlaced (60 half frame per second for NTSC, 50 hfps for PAL), you have as much chance of exposing the second half of a frame and the first half of the following frame, giving out a blurry result, than exposing both half of the same frame. I would be curious to know if my thinking is right or wrong on this (yeah, I could try it myself, but I shoot film which makes it an expensive "just want to see").

Martin.
"The known is finite, The unknown infinite"
T.H.Huxley
N
noreply
Aug 20, 2003
"MCL" …
In news:, Bruce William Johnson deftly
typed:
Have you actually tried this? Does it give acceptable result? I would have thought that a tv signal being interlaced (60 half frame per second for NTSC, 50 hfps for PAL), you have as much chance of exposing the second half of a frame and the first half of the following frame, giving out a blurry result, than exposing both half of the same frame. I would be curious to know if my thinking is right or wrong on this (yeah, I could try it myself, but I shoot film which makes it an expensive "just want to see").

It’s actually "take the photos at less than 1/30 sec", which for practical purposes with an old camera with manual speed settings means 1/15sec or longer. The advice dates back a long time so there wasn’t a problem of intermediate or automatic speeds which could/would be selected.

Yes it does work (with film), at least when I did it many (thirty or more) years ago it did. Mind you they still look like photos of a tv screen, which is okay if that’s what you want. Quite honestly with the number of repeats on the tv nowadays I can’t think of a reason for photographing the damn thing, just wait an hour 🙂

Now as to whether it will work every time without banding or blurring….???

Brian

(the other one)
H
Hecate
Aug 20, 2003
On 20 Aug 2003 02:17:19 -0700, (mono) wrote:

It’s actually "take the photos at less than 1/30 sec", which for practical purposes with an old camera with manual speed settings means 1/15sec or longer. The advice dates back a long time so there wasn’t a problem of intermediate or automatic speeds which could/would be selected.

Yes it does work (with film), at least when I did it many (thirty or more) years ago it did. Mind you they still look like photos of a tv screen, which is okay if that’s what you want. Quite honestly with the number of repeats on the tv nowadays I can’t think of a reason for photographing the damn thing, just wait an hour 🙂
I agree,. Did myself many years ago, and it works at 1/15 as you say. At the time I wanted a particular picture of an animal and as I couldn’t go to Africa 😉

But, you’re right, it still looks like a TV picture, only a much better one with PAL 😉

Hecate
DH
Darrel Hoffman
Aug 21, 2003
I agree,. Did myself many years ago, and it works at 1/15 as you say. At the time I wanted a particular picture of an animal and as I couldn’t go to Africa 😉

Now, of course, a 5-minute search on Google would give you dozens of high-quality pictures. I can’t remember how I ever lived
before the internet…
H
Hecate
Aug 21, 2003
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:37:47 GMT, "Darrel Hoffman" wrote:

Now, of course, a 5-minute search on Google would give you dozens of high-quality pictures. I can’t remember how I ever lived
before the internet…
Exactly 🙂

Hecate
J
Jim
Aug 22, 2003
Ever think about going to the zoo?
Jim
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:37:47 GMT, "Darrel Hoffman" wrote:

Now, of course, a 5-minute search on Google would give you dozens of
high-quality pictures. I can’t remember how I ever lived
before the internet…
Exactly 🙂

Hecate
H
Hecate
Aug 22, 2003
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:58:06 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

Ever think about going to the zoo?
Jim

Too far away unfortunately. In the days when I used to do nature photography I probably would have – mind you, I doubt very much that my local zoo would have had a bird-eating spider in residence 🙂

Hecate

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections