M
Posted By
mandyd
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know any good tricks for removing someonre with very wispy hair from a background?

I havre the extraxt tool but it isn’t working very well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DW
Danny_Whitehead
Jul 8, 2004
Removing someone from their background, wispy hair or not, is usually pretty easy (Clone Stamp, copy & paste over them etc). It’s removing/changing the background of someone with wispy hair where it can get tricky, and that’s what I presume you want to do.

I use a variety of techniques, having multiple layers of the subject with different masks and blending modes. Which techniques I use mainly depends on the colour of the original background, the colour of the new background and the colour of the subject’s hair. It tends to be easiest when the original has dark hair on a pale background. I have one layer set to multiply or darken with the mask loose around the hair, and a layer on top set to normal, where the mask eats into the hair a little.

What colours are your subject’s original and new backgrounds, and hair?
M
mandyd
Jul 8, 2004
The original background is a pale green/turquisey colur. The new background is bright yellowy mustard colur and
their hair is dark brown/black.
DW
Danny_Whitehead
Jul 8, 2004
Good, that should make things a lot less difficult than they might be if you were taking a blonde on a black background and putting her onto a blue sky. You might get some better suggestions, but in the meantime you can try mine. Post back if you have trouble.

I do this myself for a cover shot every two months, and each time I learn a new technique.
M
mandyd
Jul 8, 2004
Where will I find the info on your technique? Apologies if I’m being thick!
P
progress
Jul 8, 2004
build a mask, paint brush, smudge…bit of work, but better than automated 5 second solutions.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 8, 2004
Option click on the Green channel, type "q", press "~", than "d", "b"…
Paint face black, type "q" and click on the "make layer mask icon" [o]

This is just a start for inspiration.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 8, 2004
There are lots of ways to do this, but generally it depends on the complexity of the original background. There are two issues in masking out hair: removing the background with partial selections of borders and decontamination of edge colours. These issues have been well worked out with greenscreen/bluescreen backgrounds with a variety of plugins. If the original background is complex, your best bet is to get a plug in like Corel’s Knockout. If it is simple and extract is not working well, consider copying the channel that has the most contrast and running levels or curves on that copy and using this as a selection. To get a realistic look if your background is complex is a several stage process and fairly time consuming.
CS
Chris_Sword
Aug 23, 2004
I have been using Procreate’s Knockout 2.0 photoshop plugin for a few years now, and after I learned it’s relatively easy useage, I love it. It adds an option in the ‘filters’ menu to extract objects. It is easy to learn and produces flawless transparent knockouts when you get the hang of it. Well worth the money. It is ages beyong Photoshop’s built in ‘extract’ tool.

I recommend it.

Other than that, I suggest utilizing layer masks as much as possible and painting in hair whisps… as sometimes the best way to get a job done right is to muscle up and do it yourself. A wacom tablet helps a lot in this process because of the varying degrees of line thickness, opacity and feel.

Hope this helps
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 23, 2004
Plan ahead (I know it’s not always possible, especially with management taking the driver’s seat of art direction as of late.) If possible, do your shots in a studio or on set with a white, or easily knocked-out background in contrast with the color of hair.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections