Posted By
Poch
Jun 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’ve upgraded to PhotoShop CS2 because I thought it may be more intuitive, but I’ve still having trouble doing basic things.

I wanted to draw an empty reactangle onto an existing background, but the Rectangle Tool kept providing a fill. I found that I could remove it, but the rectangle didn’t show up when I saved the image. I eventaully drew it with the pencil, this did what I wanted.

Now I want a triangle, in grey, and curve on one of the edges would be nice. Tried the Triangle Tool, same problme, plus I couldn’t find out how to position the points – Transform didn’t do it.

OK, RTFM. Nothing (and lots of pages marked with "?" in the ToC). Read some of "Sams" book – it seems I need the Pen tool, so I get Bezier curves. Fine, where is the Pen tool, can’t see it. Right click all the icons in the Toolbox, nope. Look in Help. It shows me what the icon looks like, but not where it is. Ten minites later, I look again, there it is, mocking me. Argggggh!

So I’m asking for help. Is the pen what I need? How do I turn the resultant shape into a series of grey pixels in my image?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 26, 2005
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:58:23 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

Hi,

I’ve upgraded to PhotoShop CS2 because I thought it may be more intuitive, but I’ve still having trouble doing basic things.
I wanted to draw an empty reactangle onto an existing background, but the Rectangle Tool kept providing a fill. I found that I could remove it, but the rectangle didn’t show up when I saved the image. I eventaully drew it with the pencil, this did what I wanted.
Now I want a triangle, in grey, and curve on one of the edges would be nice. Tried the Triangle Tool, same problme, plus I couldn’t find out how to position the points – Transform didn’t do it.

OK, RTFM. Nothing (and lots of pages marked with "?" in the ToC). Read some of "Sams" book – it seems I need the Pen tool, so I get Bezier curves. Fine, where is the Pen tool, can’t see it. Right click all the icons in the Toolbox, nope. Look in Help. It shows me what the icon looks like, but not where it is. Ten minites later, I look again, there it is, mocking me. Argggggh!

So I’m asking for help. Is the pen what I need? How do I turn the resultant shape into a series of grey pixels in my image?

Worth a read.
http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/pen
MH
remove -bats- to reply
V
Vern
Aug 7, 2005
Hope my 2 cents helps:

In the tools pallet down and to the left of the T- text icon is the pen tool.. Click and hold the button and a flyout will open with the various tool choices. Then below the "file, edit, image" menus is the selectors for drawing solids, paths or fixed pixels. If your drawing a colored shape click the first selection (the box under "Image"). If you just want points for a path select the middle icon (the one that looks like a boxed-in pen tip), and click away. If you want straight lines just click, for curves click and drag. To close your path either click back on the first point you made or get near it and double click (it will close for you).

To color the line you have to make it a selection. Open the Paths tab, click on the dotted circle at the bottom of the window (3rd from the left) to get the marching ants. Then under Edit > Stroke pick a color and pixel size. Click ok to finish. Also the small boxes to the right of the Pen tool menu are for adding or subtracting, from your selection.

And these are just the basics. Mastering the pen tool is probably the hardest thing for most new users of PS.

Also, you might find what your looking for with the shapes button (just below the T- text button.)

Have fun
V

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
Hi,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections