MS
Posted By
mary_sutherland
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Currently running Win2000 and have Photoshop 6.0 installed. Got Elements 2.0 with a scanner and would like to use features like stitching panoramas, but can’t get Elements to open.

On launch I get error message "Photoshop Elements .exp has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

Have uninstalled and reinstalled (using CD), but keep getting same results.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 15, 2003
Did you have an antivirus program running when you installed Elements? If so, do a complete uninstall of Elements, including a Find for any straggling files/folders not captured. Then either uninstall or disable your antivirus program and reinstall Elements. Norton is the one found most likely to interfere, but it’s always a good idea to disable any program before doing a software install. If Elements runs without the antivirus program, try putting it back on and disabling when you start Elements. Many people can run the two, but when I put Elements on an XP Pro computer, I made sure the Norton was disabled when I did the install. I turned Norton on afterwards and both now run with no trouble.

If this doesn’t allow Elements to open, please repost.
MS
mary_sutherland
Dec 18, 2003
Well, I felt dumb there for a bit – like I was driving down the highway with my parking brake on. I am, indeed running Norton Anti-Virus.

Did an uninstall of Photoshop Elements 2.0; disabled Norton and reinstalled Elements, but am getting the same error message. Where would I find the "error log?"
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 18, 2003
Whoops. I hope somebody else picks this up, because I don’t know where to find the error log!
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 18, 2003
Mary,

If you open up Explorer, on the menu choose Tools>Folder Options, select the View Tab and under Hidden Files and Folders tick the box "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Now do a search limited to the last few days using the search parameter "*.log" (using the astarisk but not the quotes). This should come up with many items, see if it is there. Or some more info might be had,if Win2000 is like the XP that I run, if you look in the Event Viewer… it lists application and system errors. Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and open the System and App folders.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections