Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro (taking cover and ducking)

DW
Posted By
David_Wisniewski
Jun 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve read for weeks the debate of PSP versus Photoshop. But, I’ve only read the PSP side of the story. I’ve used PSP for many years and am just about ready to splurge on Photoshop. But, I keep finding myself using PSP. I’m sure the main reason is I’m familiar with it. On the other hand, I seem to be able to do things I can’t do in PaintShop (at least, not as quickly). That’s probably another learning curve explanation.

So that I’ll sleep well, and don’t have the benefit of really knowing Photoshop before I buy it, I’d love to hear one to three best reasons to buy Photoshop from the experts who know the program. I’ll rustle the feathers just a bit and point out Sepia Tones and File Browsing is a cinch with PSP. It doesn’t seem as smooth with Paintshop. Please don’t shoot. I’m too old to die at this age 😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jun 13, 2005
Had a student in my class who was a Paint Shop Pro Pro…although she admits there are somethings she can do in PSP (Tubes???) that she can’t do in Photoshop, she fell in love with Photoshop and no longer uses psp…
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 14, 2005
There will be a transition period, David. As you say, it might seem easier to do it quickly in PSP rather than try to learn it in Photoshop.

Also, PSP may have automatic ways to do some things that must be done manually in PS. People complain that we don’t have red-eye correction (at least in my version, I’m one back) that cheaper programs have. But the idea in PS is that the user is a professional, and doesn’t want so many "canned" solutions. Using PS, you correct the redeye manually, where you have greater control.

Also, where have you been getting "the PSP side of the story?" A PSP forum? Really the only advice you can really believe in is from people who have used both platforms. People who have never used PS, or just ran the demo once, probably have biased views. The best judge is the former PSP user who uses PS (like Christine mentioned) or a former PS user who now uses PSP (if you can find one <grin>).

Don
DW
David_Wisniewski
Jun 14, 2005
Thank you very much for your kind comments – and I apologize for writing "PaintShop" when I meant "Photoshop". Considering PS is so much more expensive than PSP, my thought is there must be something particularly complex about PS which justifies the difference in cost.

Said differently, the jest of what I’ve gotten from PSP forums is it’s a ‘matter of preference’. But, to me, it seems the huge difference in cost must contain something far above the functions of PSP. Or, why would it cost so much more?

One thing I’ve noticed over the two is PS seems to have much "finer tuning" with the Tolerance function, e.g., as used with Magic Wand, and such.

Again, thank you.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 14, 2005
Adobe also has Photoshop Elements, $99 for PC and $79 for Mac. It is a very powerful app for the price.

Check also the book and site <http://www.hiddenelements.com> that would allow to unleash the power of PsE.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2005
Adobe also has Photoshop Elements, $99 for PC and $79 for Mac. It is a very powerful app for the price.

a much better comparison to paint shop pro, imo.
RK
Ross_Kim
Jun 14, 2005
I’m a former PSP user, and bought the creative suite so that I could use all of the programs. Photoshop is worth the money, if you really want good photos. In PSP, you find yourself having fun with the things that they provide, but not doing much thinking on your own. You’re limited to the presets that it comes with. In photoshop, the idea is that you do it yourself, but you can do ANYTHING yourself. It’s kinda like comparing two movies: 1 that was made with the viewpoint of "here’s the tools I have, what effects can I make with them?", and the other one made with the viewpoint of, "here’s the effect I want, now I need to find out how to make it." The second movie would be much better. Kinda a stupid analogy, but if you get my point, than who cares. Photoshop isn’t just an overpriced PSP, though, it’s a whole different thing.

Oh, here’s another analogy (I’m having fun with this). PSP is like coloring a picture from a coloring book vs. PS which is like drawing and then coloring a picture. To a point, coloring a picture will look just fine and you can customize the colors and make those adjustments, but you are limited to the lines printed on the page and cannot go any further; but hey, you didn’t have to draw the picture. When you draw a picture, you do EVERYTHING on your own, but you can do ANYTHING to the picture. So, take your pick. I hope that helped. I’m gonna go back and read this and see that it looked really stupid. Oh well, no one knows me…
AC
Art Campbell
Jun 14, 2005
I started out using PSP and was a faithful user for years and years… but migrated to Photoshop entirely at about the 5.0/6.0 rev when I needed to get serious about working on photos fur publication. Haven’t looked back…

Also, just as an aside. Micrsoft has just released the beta of Acrylic, which purports to be their pro-level image-editing tool. Free at www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Interestingly enough, the beta allows you to browse Photoshop files, but they don’t seem to have the import filter in place yet.

Art
D
deebs
Jun 14, 2005
Hi Art – have you tried the B-Spline drawing tool in Acrilic? It is (IMHO) a great device and seems so incredibly easy to use.

But, to the OP: this sounds like a download and try before you buy comparison.

Regular readers will know that Dodgy (the new computer) is acting up a little. Once that has been solved, sufficient time created – I guess I’ll have to try a swathe of downloadable tryouts.

Arranging a sequence of nodes, then applying a brush effect with color tweaks changing by multiple selections … does Illie have equivalent(s)? (to B-spline drawing tool I mean)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections