CD
Posted By
Chandi_Devi
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, it’s me again, (the one who doesn’t know much), but with a different question. This is about PRINTING and resolution using PS7 and TIFF files and PS7 and PCX files. And the printing comparison of .TIFF and PCX.

Ok… here is the situation. I had many writings from the Diaries of my teacher scanned in Greyscale @400dpi with hand scanner, to use for a book. They were scanned and saved at the same size as the original handwriting. I saved them as .TIFF files,..my friend also saved them as PCX files.

I cleaned up the .tiff files and got them ready to give them to a friend to put into a layout program. However, I realized that I didn’t have all the .tiff’s with me and asked if i could use the PCX files also. (I was in India, and only the PCX were available- the rest of the .tiff’s were in america.). No one could tell me if I could use the PCX files and if they would come out good. I really have never been given a clear answer on the printing of PCX files. They also would need to be enlarged, but given their squared pixel format (OK..please, this is what i am seeing…and it definitely isn’t a smooth .tiff file and I don’t know the outcome, except on my home printer), I am wondering how they comeout in the printing situation and if they can be used and will replicate the natural handwriting as the .tiff does?? smoothly or ragged edges??
This probably doesn’t make a lot of sense, but i honestly don’t know which other way to ask for what I need to know. I didn’t get the book laid-out nor printed because no one could tell me if the PCX would print nicely or not….. and none of the printers I emailed even replied. . now i am here and would like to finally clear this up.

Now, for the .tiff and pcx printing resolution. I cannot re-scan the handwriting. I was told that when I enlarge the .tif files, the res goes down. OK. that much I know… and that the printing will not be as good. That they need at least 260 + lpi (???) to make good printing. This is what i was TOLD. OK. I used some other of these scans on a color photo calendar that i did of my teacher and we enlarged the scans in the layout program by using the free transform tool, and it printed fine! This will be even smaller and in a book. So, I am wondering, is this all really necessary?? I spent weeks making all the scans fit into the page size that i had chosen, adding pixels to the ones needing enlargement and darkening others to make sure they printed well…( I acciddently left one of these CD ‘s in America).. but i am not sure if what, if anything is necessary.. The enlargement wouldn’t be more than 200-300%, on some. Also, what about the printing of PCX??? How do they come out?? Scanned size and enlarged??

This has bothered me for a time now. Does this make sense??Can anyone please Enlighten me on this.?! Thank you! in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections