DN
Posted By
Douglas_Nelson
Jul 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The typical response to avoid banding is to add "some noise". I’m wondering if anyone has a formula for determining the optimum amount of noise.

Lacking that, can I just get everyone’s favorite noise settings for eliminating banding? Do you add noise to the image, or on a separate layer?

– Doug Nelson

==============================
http://www.retouchpro.com — the #1 online community for retouchers and restorers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 3, 2004
There is no single magic setting that will eliminate banding.

Too much depends on the lenght of the gradient and the variations in colour contained in it.

Also select the ditering option when creating your gradient.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 3, 2004
As Rene says.

Also you might be best off adding noise only to the channel(s) where the gradient is the stongest,
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 3, 2004
What Ed said and…

Apply a layer mask too (if you have the time) to the white areas so you don’t end up with scum dot in the white areas.

To generalize… usually a little noise (.3-.5 Gaussian) is sufficient.

Never add noise only to the composite image though or you could end up with a 1%-2% scum dot noise in the black channel (if the black channel was blank).
JS
John_Slate
Jul 4, 2004
Never add noise only to the composite image though or you could end up with a 1%-2% scum dot noise in the black channel (if the black channel was blank).

Amen
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 4, 2004
The typical response to avoid banding is to add "some noise". I’m wondering if anyone has a formula for determining the optimum amount of noise.

I’d look at doing a gaussian blur in 16 bit on a duplicated layer, along with the creation of a sampled noise element replicated to a layer style via a pattern fill.

It’s a reversible noise implementation or softness reducer as well as scalable to noise frequency as well as size.

can I just get everyone’s favorite noise settings for eliminating banding?

are you out of your mind Doug?

Can I have world peace?

think man.
DN
Douglas_Nelson
Jul 4, 2004
:

are you out of your mind Doug?

That’s a whole other discussion 🙂

– Doug Nelson

==============================
http://www.retouchpro.com — the #1 online community for retouchers and restorers

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections