TK
Posted By
Tomaz_Klinc
Jun 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop v4-v7, CS, Illustrator CS, and InDesign CS on my computer, all activated and registered. Photoshop CS2 upgrade was smooth, but both Illustrator CS2 and InDesign CS2 installers claim (a) I do not have ‘qualified’ previous versions (they are in the default location c:/Program Files/Adobe), and (b) the CS disk is rejected for same reason.

Illustrator installer directed me to report a six digit number to Adobe’s authorized reseller in this country (Slovenia), but the techie over there had no idea what was that number for, and suggested, not unexpectedly, to uninstall everything Adobe, and try again!

Any help would be appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Jun 12, 2005
Are you trying to install upgrades of point products based on a suite installation?

Bob
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jun 13, 2005
The the three CS programs are from ‘Creative Suite Standard’ (two disks, single S.N.), while Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2 and InDesign CS2 upgrades are each on its own disk, each with its own S.N.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 13, 2005
can’t do it. suite upgrades only to suite. standard stand alone products upgrade only other stand alones.
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jun 13, 2005
Dave, but Photoshop CS2 did upgrade PS CS from ‘CS Standard Suit’.

Tom
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 13, 2005
Nothing strange about it at all. That’s how it works. You can’t upgrade Suite products with standalone upgrades.

I suspect you might have still had PS 7 installed and the CS2 installer saw that.

Bob
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jun 13, 2005
Bob, you are right; I still have several PS versions, from v4 to v7, on my machine. But it is ridiculous that with a registered and activated ‘CS Standard Edition,’ I’m not "a licensed user of a previous version of this software product".
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 13, 2005
It is not ridiculous at all and your continued insistance that is, is not going to change things. Adobe is quite upfront about what it selling and what the benefits, disadvantages and rules are.

The suite is legally ONE application with ONE serial number and therefore ONE license.

Please read the Suite FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/pdfs/creativesui te_faq.pdf

The very fact that you’ve physically gotten around it for Photoshop is, AFAIK a violation of the EULA.

However, if you owned earlier version of Illy and ID you could legally still use those licenses to upgrade.

Bob
F
Friend
Jun 13, 2005
I encountered the same issue, i.e. going from the suite to the standalone. At best the Abode website is confusing; at worst, it may be more. It provides:

"To install this upgrade (CS2) successfully, you will need a licensed version of Adobe Photoshop CS or Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or earlier, on the same platform as this purchase.

NOTE:This upgrade does not apply to Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe licensed users."

The same website has an entry for the serial number of the previous suite ostensible to ascertain if it qualifies for the purchase of the standalone upgrade.

Despite the exclusionary language not referencing a previous suite, and despite the serial number of the suite being accepted to purchase a standalone, Adobe interperts the requirement to mean a licensed version of a standalone and not a licensed version which is part of a suite.

Adobe did however, accept the return of the standalone for full credit including paying return shipping charges. I was then compelled to purchase an upgrade version of the full suite.

N. Schwartz

wrote in message
Bob, you are right; I still have several PS versions, from v4 to v7, on my machine. But it is ridiculous that with a registered and activated ‘CS Standard Edition,’ I’m not "a licensed user of a previous version of this software product".
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jun 13, 2005
Bob, you awoke me, somewhat rudely, to my error (and I’ll gladly do time in Purgatory): I forgot that what I had was in fact ‘CS Standard,’ and instead of upgrading to ‘CS2 Standard’ I bought (the more expensive) PS CS2, Ill CS2 and InD CS2 upgrades. As for EULA violation I plead innocence: PS CS2 did it all by itself.

Tom
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 13, 2005
If you bought them directly from Adobe, you might want to give them a call to see if something can be worked out.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2005
they were up front about it before cs suite was released. that was the main reason i didn’t go for the suite.
I
ID._Awe
Jun 14, 2005
Yeah, I’m not suite either.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2005
erm, there are websites…

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections