SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS on a dual 2ghz G5 with 2.5g ram, and an external ultra 320 scsi RAID0, which is made up of 6 Atlas 10kIII’s. I notice that sometimes doing a gaussian blur on am image that is about 40 megs, will take 3sec, and other times it will take 45sec. this is using the exact same amount of gaussian blur, an the same amount of layers. That is just an example of one of the things. Another is using convert to profile. On the exact same size image sometimes it will take 2 sec, other times it will take 35sec. It is very random. This slow down can happen when I very first start up photoshop, or after it has been running all day. I do understand that history state will cause a slow down, you would expect that running the same function later in the day, would maybe see a slow down. But I have seen this happen when I first open up photoshop, and running the same function later would actually be faster. This does not occur all of the time, but it is some thing that i have noticed before. I am wondering if it could have anythign to do with the RAID?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

HJ
harvey_jewett
Jul 2, 2004
I have found that each day PS gets slower on my machine. I have to wait several seconds for the open dialoug to display the contents of each folder. It seems to take almost as long as waiting for previews in the image browser. Are there some cache/temp files somewhere I can delete to make it move faster?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 2, 2004
Get Cocktail and run it.

It will clean out caches, run the cron scripts and do several other necessary maintenance tasks automatically.

<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 2, 2004
Harvey

If you seldom restart your computer your swap files may increase in number which will slow your system down.

Usually a simple restart will solve this.

Some shareware say they can trash swap files but coincidentally they say it’s a good idea to restart after using their app and don’t mention the fact that the restart alone will delete the swap files.

There are shareware apps out there like MenuMeters <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17713> (which is actually a freeware app) that tell you the number and size of your swap files… among other things.

I’ve been using MM for well over a year and my system is very stable with it. (It also has a 5 star rating at VT — which is not that easy to achieve.)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections