B
Posted By
BlackHawk
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to figure out how to get a strobe effect in an image. If you see a picture of a someone skateboarding and they catch air and you see each rotation or move they make in a single image, how is it done.

Here is a link to the image style I am talking about. I would appreciate any info that you can give. Is it done with a still camera, digital/film or a video camera.

< http://redbull.com/article.action?documentIntID=108617086120 9-192123656>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 1, 2004
The traditional way was to have a flash (the strobe) go off at regular intervals, thus exposing the film several times, if a person had moved, you would get the effect seen in your example.

The things is you have to be able to control the lighting condition to do this, which I suspect was not the case here…
The "modern" option would be to take multiple photos and assemble them in Photoshop.
Z
Zeb
Jul 1, 2004
You could always ask him via his web site; danielgrund.com
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
<< Take multiple photos and assemble them in Photoshop >> using Lighten or Screen mode for the "strobed" layers.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
Not for this effect, Ann : )

Use (somewhat) vertical slices of the various shots taken from a fixed angle (on tripod).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
REAL multi-pop strobe shots show the background through the moving object.

If you want to emulate a single object in multiple positions, you need to Screen or Lighten.

If you just want a Composite, which implies that there were multiple bikes flying simultaneously, ignore the above.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
Ann, … Burst and video are real : ) Lighten and Screen have nothing to do with this effect. (Multi-pop can fry your strobe)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
Depends on the strobes!

I have been Multi-popping my Bowens for years — my oldest ones (which are still popping) were built in 1976.

Lighten/Screen can be used to EMULATE the effect of REAL multiple exposure photography (on REAL film because I don’t believe that you can do this on digi-cams ?!)
R
Ram
Jul 1, 2004
Ann,

Sure you can. My Pentax *istD has manual settings of bulb as well as 1/4000 sec. to 30 seconds in 0.5 EV steps. It also has mirror lockup.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
Good to know — for the future.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
Ann if you do some math on the picture, you may find that your strobes cannot sustain the popping rate needed for that kind of shooting.
(where would you put the strobes and what power would they need anyway?)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
The kind of shot that is shown in Blackhawk’s example was traditionally made by using incident light and a wheel with opaque and clear segments being spun in front of the camera lens instead of a normal shutter. No strobes needed to be popped.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
Ann, The wheel you describe, would distort the moving subject (at motorcycle jumping speed). A wheel moving from left to right would elongate the subject and the opposite would produce horizontal compression.

(I may be wrong : )
RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 1, 2004
Actually, you can minimize the distortion by aligning the slits of the stroboscobe with the main motion.

ie, in this case, I would shoot through one side of the wheel (rather than the top or the bottom), thus having an upwards or downwards motion.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
Todie:

The distortion depends on how big the clear segment is, and how fast the wheel spins and, frankly, I can’t see that that it would matter anyway!

[But that IS how those early motion-stopping images were made.]
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 2, 2004

[But that IS how those early motion-stopping images were made.]

Good info, Ann. Thanks!
C
colorfulbird
Jul 2, 2004
Blackhawk, how many incarnations of this topic are you going to make on these forums? Geez!

If you provide a link or let people know you’ve asked the same question elsewhere, members can expand on what has already been said.

I’ve counted three exact posts thus far. Most of us photographers do migrate to the Photoshop Mac and Photography threads.
B
BlackHawk
Jul 8, 2004
Thanks for the help everyone. Still expiermenting with the effect.

Colorfulbird, then just respond to one of them with the correct procedure to produce the effect.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections