Posted By
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I am getting the descending gray screen of death whenever I use the crop tool with set dimensions and resolution. I am politely informed I need to restart.

I have never had any previous crashes like this.

I am re sizing a very large 72 dpi image in 16bit mode down to 320×320 pixels @ 300dpi, it starts, the beach ball spins, then whammo.

I am running OS 10.3.4 on a dual 450 with 1.5 gigs of ram.

Everything else is and has been fine. Photoshop never behaved so badly.

Any thoughts/help?

Matt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
My guess is that you may have bad RAM.

Remove all but the original Apple RAM and test. Then re-install the other RAM sticks separately and retest after adding each one.

Also check all internal and external connections.
MP
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks Ann, I will try that later.

Just to enlighten me, if I indeed had bad ram, would it not have surfaced earlier? I have had this computer in the same configuration (hardware wise) since ’99. The ram was all ordered with my computer from Apple.

I have always used adobe products, and tend to load the computer quite heavily as I am a student at Parsons School of Design. (Just to give information on my typicall usage).

Is there another extremely memory intensive operation I can try?

Matt
R
Ram
Jul 1, 2004
Matt,

Is there another extremely memory intensive operation I can try?

Photoshop seems to be the toughest memory test. Bad RAM sticks that pass the usual software memory tests often fail to handle Photoshop’s memory demands. Even mismatched RAM modules can misbehave that way.

If your computer is eight years old, I’d certainly take a very close look at your drive(s), RAM, cables and connections, etc. But you have to rule out a bad or corrupted software installation first.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
Photoshop is probably THE most memory-intensive program that there is. RAM can go bad at any time; and OSX seems to be very sensitive to bad RAM which may be why you haven’t seen the problem before.
MP
Matthew_Poor
Jul 1, 2004
Thank you both. I did not realize ram could go bad, I thought either you got good ram or bad (bad typically meaning cheapo manufacturer from god knows where).

Ramon, the computer is 5 years old, I bought in December ’99.

Both drives are under 2 years old. Cables are excellent, and I think my system software is ok. I recently did a clean install (zeroed drive) when I updated to 10.3.

All in all, my computer has always been VERY happy and solid as a rock (vast improvement over earlier OS). So I will do the ram test, it is a good excuse to clean out the dust inside my trusty mac.

Thanks again!

Matt
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
A kernel panic would mean a bug in the OS, a bad install of the OS, a bad driver, or bad hardware.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections