C
Posted By
Cassen
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently upgraded to OS 10.3.2 with a new G5 using a USB connection directly into the back of the CPU. I have downloaded the latest epson printer drivers for this OS.

I primarily print from Photoshop and have recently upgraded to CS version.

I have a Epson 2000p which prints fine except when I try to print to 11X14 custom size paper. The image gets clipped off on top and prints to the upper left side of the page. I selected custom size under settings and created 11×14, but can only access that size when I set it to ANY printer NOT 2000p specifically where the custom size only shows up greyed out.

I have tried to print to a size close to 11×14 like A3, but it’s about 1 inch cropped at the bottom.

I there something in the Photoshop CS settings I’m not doing that is causing this cropping?

Epson has told me they don’t make drivers for this printer with the new OS. I find that hard to believe since, although older than the 2200, I thought this was a fairly popular printer amongst photographer/designers.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
No – that is a function of the printer driver and the printer mechanism.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 12, 2004
I have the exact same problem and cannot get an answer. Epson has orphaned my 2000P and will not put the effort together with Apple to make a driver which will accomodate Adobe’s custom paper instructions in Photoshop CS running under OS 10.3. I too, discovered the "Any Printer" pathway which unfortunately ends up with truncated file printouts. If you find an answer, or a new source to enquire from, let me know. Good luck. I am reopening my long files in P6 running under OS 9.2.1 and printing them from there successfully.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 12, 2004
Photoshop HAS NO custom paper instructions.

It’s ALL up to the printer driver.

How many times do I have to repeat this?
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 12, 2004
Chris
What are we doing in the page setup window in Photoshop when we dimension a "custom PAGE size" and even when we select standard Letter, A3, SuperA3, 4by6, 5by7, etc? I assumed Photoshop is asking the selected (printer) driver (if capable?) to enter certain values in its instructions to its printer. If this is NOT so, how do we initiate page sizes in the workflow? Is it that selecting a page size in a program becomes physically a direct order to the selected printer? And why did Epson tell me that "Some programs are not able to create custom pages" as an explanation–and this was after I specifically told him about using Photoshop CS and seeing its "Custom" page sizes I recreated in CS GREYED-OUT and inaccessible. I am not defiant or stubborn, only confused as to the mechanics of this new error and trying to find a logical solution, hoping it is not that Epson refuses to bring the 2000P into the world of Panther and Photoshop CS with a competent driver.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 13, 2004
You’re creating a custom page size in the printer driver — it provides that dialog, not Photoshop (how would Photoshop know anything about the printer?).

Epson told you that because they don’t know better. The application has no choice about the page size. All it can do is ask what page size the user chose.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 13, 2004
Chris.
A verbatim copy of Epson’s reply:

In OSX, custom paper sizes are a function of the program in use.Some applications allow the creation of custom sizes;some do not.The printer driver does not provide a place to create new sizes,thus we cannot guide you on custom paper sizes in OSx, or guarantee the placement of output on a custom-created page. To determine if the program in use allows you to make a custom size go to File>Page Setup. Try setting the "Format for" or "Printer" selection to "Any Printer" or the Epson. If there is no custom or user-defined option, your program does not support this function.

Marc M
Epson Connection
Needless to say, his solution which I had already tried myself (and TOLD him in my letter to him) did not work. The buck does not seem to stop anywhere.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Martin,

Epson’s reply is absolutely wrong. "Page Setup" is always controlled by the printer driver. If you remember pre-OS X days, changing your driver in the Chooser drastically altered what you saw in Page Setup.
MF
Martin_Feldman
Aug 13, 2004
Ramon and Chris
Thanks for your patience and insightful guidance.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Martin,

Chris is the authority here; I’m just expanding on his posts to add the layman’s reassurance to the skeptics. 🙂
L
Larryr544
Aug 13, 2004
I’m running PHotoshop CS under 10.3.5 If I do what Epson said, go to page setup..select any printer (not an Epson specific printer) then it works fine. They left out where the setting is and so did everyone else. Simply select under settings at the top pull down menu ‘custom paper sizes’. THat pull down menu will say ‘page attributes’ until you pull it down. IT IS NOT A FUNCTION ON THE PRINTER BEING USED OR THE PROGRAM. It is a function of the OS.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Larry,

Your post is not very clear, to put it mildly :), but the fact that it works as you expect it to when you “select any printer (not an Epson specific printer) then it works fine” proves that it is in fact determined by the printer driver, doesn’t it?
BR
Barry_Ryan
Aug 15, 2004
In your print pref have you asked it to centre image? [look at print with preview]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections