B
Posted By
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I spend much work on getting my colours natural in PS CS. When I then "save for web", the pictures appear MUCH redder than in the picture I wanted to save, and so they also appear on the net. I have read my handbooks and tried out several things, but see no difference. The tips one get concern mainly colour differences between different devices, but not within PS CS.
I have a calibrated monitor (Spyder2) and I have a bit the feeling that my problems started as from the use of Spyder, but I am not sure there. And besides, how could it be that the calibration would work on the normal PS picture and then change when saving for web? I see a colour table, but it is empty and below the four proposed web pictures there is a bar indicating RGB, but there are no values.
I admit, I don’t know much about PS, but I really t5ried to solve this and it really disturbs me. My website is important to me. Can someone more knowledgable with PS help me? Thank you!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Pipkin
Jun 11, 2005
Try using sRGB as RGB working space (Color Settings palette – Ctrl+Shft+K)… Maybe you need converting your images into sRGB also before Save for Web… In other words, don’t use Adobe RGB color space for images preparing for Web…
BTW, hope, you use correct monitor profile…
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
Thank you Pipkin, my colours are on sRGB. What exactly do you mean by correct monitor profile? How should I check that? Which would surprise me as the problem occurs on one and the same monitor. What I also did, is to set the colour settings at: preserve embedded profiles. That got me the info that my picture did not have one, and I indicated: leave as is. Probably none of my pictures has an embedded profile and I don’t know if that might help.
Sorry to be such a beginner, and I am grateful to all of you who will help me get my colours right. Thank you!
P
Pipkin
Jun 11, 2005
You must have installed monitor profile provided by manufacturer. Also, you may correct it by Adobe Gamma and save as new one (be sure to put it into Windows Color Management (Display Properties) and set it as default monitor profile.

IMHO, you’d better do not use "Preserve Embedded Profile", but utilize "Convert to working space" (sRGB, I mean) when you’re working for Web.

You may use Adobe RGB for soft proofing (in another window) to see the color appearance and watch the difference between sRGB and Adobe RGB…
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
I have installed the monitor profile I get from Spyder. They say not to use any other system at the same time. Seems to make sense. I might reuse Adobe Gamma (which I did before Spyder) and see wha thappens. but still I cannot see how that might make a difference on on and the same monitor. Thanks for the tip on the embedded profile.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 11, 2005
IN cS2, you can automate the convertion if you choose SFW.
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
I now used the "covert to" possibility but I still see no change. The picture I want to save is not nearly as red as the pictures that appear in the "save for web" window. It is really a big difference when you put them next to each other.
C
Curvemeister
Jun 11, 2005
This is a common problem, and it can happen relatively easily with 3rd party calibration systems. Start by verifying that you have the latest version of the Spyder software installed, and running the Spyder again to create a new monitor profile. I imagine you have done this already.

If that does not fix things, turn off the Spyder software and re-activate Adobe Gamma Loader. Run Adobe Gamma, making sure that you have all three sliders locked together as a single slider.

Then use Photoshop’s info palette to verify that RGB(128,128,128) displays as a pure gray on your monitor. At this point you should see that SFW images match what you see on your monitor.

Then you may switch back to the Spyder. If the problem returns sell the Spyder on eBay and use Adobe Gamma.

Mike Russell
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
Thank you very much, Mike. I set another default for my monitor and went through the ADOBE Gamma calibration with one single slider. My screen is MUCH cooler and brighter now, but the difference in red PS <-> SFW still remains. But I am not sure what you mean by "pure gray"? I set the number on 3×128 and the little square went grey all right, but how do I know this is pure?
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
BTW, the SFW images are on the same monitor, I hope I made that clear. The colour difference occurs within PS. I have a picture open, adjust it, and then want to SFW. The SFW window opens and shows four pictures, much redder than the picture I want to save. I can move the windows within PS so as to have the original picture and the SFW pictures next to each other and the difference is shocking. Your solution does not seems to work either, Mike, sorry! I did not use to have this problem, I don’t understand it. And WITHIN PS, I cannot see how that is possible, but it is a fact.
JB
John_Bean_UK
Jun 11, 2005
wrote:
The colour difference occurs within PS. … I cannot see how that is possible, but it is a fact.

I tried this simple test: I opened an image (that was in ProPhoto space in my case) then went to SFW. The result was awful both in preview (in SFW) and in the resulting JPEG – just as I expected. Then I did it again, but before invoking SFW I converted the image from ProPhoto to sRGB space. No obvious difference in the PS editing window of course, but now the SFW looks exactly the same – both preview and final JPEG – again exactly as I expected. I’ve always converted to sRGB from whatever space the source image was in before saving a JPEG for web use, it’s an essential step unless the source just happens to be sRGB anyway.
B
bterlaan
Jun 11, 2005
Thank you John, I tried it both ways: without adjusting to sRGB and with. Same result. Bt in the meantime i restarted my computer and I had to readjust my default settings regarding cooour management. I don’t understand eyctly what I did, but my problem seems tobe solved. Tere is still s vslight difference, but by plaing around as John suggested, I think I can solve that. Every time I open a picture, PS now says that there is no colour embedded and I should choose what I want. It does not matter what I doe, leave as is, choose sRGB or ADOB ERGB, the SWF looks much the same as the PS picture. Well well…. Probably it was Mikes suggestiuon to resuse Adobe Gamma, and it took a restart to make it work. Thank you all!
D
deebs
Jun 11, 2005
Hi bt

I don’t know if this helps at all but I’d imagine that a professional printshop needs calibration, color checking and monitoring on a very regular basis.

When it comes to the web it is a different thing altogether with modality probably being more important than technicality?

I read a summary somewhere that the majority of hits on a particular site were from 14" 800 by 600 pixel crt monitors. So tuning to the audience seems to ba a key strategy.

If the "audience" (I use the term loosely) is a bunch of tech spec printers that is a world away from default based monitors hitting websites no?

I wonder if it is worth while taking a 2 machine approach? Well calibrated working machine but final product tweaks on a machine that meets commonality specs rather than technical specs?
SP
Scott_Perkins
Jun 13, 2005
Try turning color management off before creating your images for the web. From the Photoshop Help file:

Color Management Off

Does not turn the Photoshop color management system off (the color management system cannot be turned off entirely). Instead, this option tells the color management system to use passive color management techniques to emulate the behavior of applications that do not support color management. Although working space profiles are considered when converting colors between color spaces, Color Management Off does not tag documents with profiles. You can use this option for content that will be output on video or as on-screen presentations (i.e. the web). Do not use this option if you work mostly with documents that are tagged with color profiles.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections