I know, I know…Please help with font problem?

BP
Posted By
Blas_Pereyra
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am apparentaly reaching the font limit in Photosho CS. I have done the forum search on "font limits" and deactivated the fonts. But for some reason Photoshop is still recognizing all the fonts up to "D". I am using extensis 10 and I downloaded a trial of font agent pro. I deactivated all my fonts in font book and in extensis yet photoshop is still accessing all my fonts up untill the letter D. Please someone put my ignorance out of its misery.

Blas

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BP
Blas_Pereyra
Jun 30, 2004
help
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 30, 2004
Well, #1 — More than one font manager always equals trouble.

Boot in safe mode – Hold down the shift key while you start up the Mac. This prevents any start up items fom loading.

BACK UP YOUR FONTS

Remove (not just deactivate, but remove) all font sets from FontBook. Quit Fontbook. Go to [volume]/Users/[user]/Library/Preferences and trash the file named "com.apple.FontBook.plist"

Delete Font Agent Pro from your hard drive, unistall it if you have used the installer to install it.

Suitcase 10 should work provided you have the latest release from Extensis. Check to be certain you do. if not download and install the lastest upgrade for Suitcase.

Reboot.

Launch Suitcase and verify what fonts are active and what aren’t. You may need to reinstall fonts into Suitcase because removing sets from FontBook may have deleted the fonts from your drive (this is why the back up note is in all caps and bold.)

Don’t ever launch FontBook again. And do not install another font manager unless you intend to switch products entirely. Unfortunately, if you already have a font manager installed, there’s no way to "test drive" another font manager under one user account safely. If you want to try another font manager set up another user account and install the other font manager for that user only.

On side note…. The more I see these posts the more it seems to me that it’s either an issue with a user having thousands of fonts active, having no font manager at all, using FontBook or using Suitcase. I have yet to hear of a Font Agent Pro user with the font limit problem. Now, that may be because FAP users are a bit more aware of how to handle fonts, or it could be that FAP is a better product. I don’t know which. Or it could mean that my perception is completely askew.

Hope this helps.
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
Scott gives good advice.

I would recommend dumping all font management except FontAgent Pro 2.1

then with FAP as the font manager only activate the fonts you need to use at any time.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 3, 2004
Blas,

Please also read: "From Apple: Font management under Mac OS X" </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Neil
AS
Alessandro_Segalini
Jul 3, 2004
Mr Neil Keller,
my reasearch on "what is an idiosyncratic typeface" is finished. It was for my thesis, so no pay in money for who contributed, Erik Spiekermann included. I have not been checking this forum lately, I found your post (only yours) to my question today.
My thesis is about a family typeface design based on the novel "The Old Man and The Sea". The font is on the way to be published. Best,
AS
HJ
Howard_J_Sweet
Jul 4, 2004
I am getting the mesage "…font not available in system…" when inputting a quark xpress eps page.

The name orr font used in Quark is lisyted in the caracter menu in PS. The font used in quark gets cnovertd to courier or simne such.

Any help would be welcome.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
The message means exactly what it says: your EPS was created using a font which is not currently available on your System.

Perhaps it is a Type 1 font and you do not have both the screen AND the outline parts of the font?
G
graffiti
Jul 6, 2004
Doesn’t Quark allow the use of faux fonts? Could have used one in the eps.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections