Posted By
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please take a look at this Motherboard:
< http://www.commell.com.tw/News/News/News_20050422_LV-673.htm> I would like to use a 2Gig Flash Drive which has no seek time and works just like a regular HD. Can this be done?

Every year two or three of my hard drives crash when moving my carts around even if they roll on pneumatic 8" Dia wheels.The Mini Computers are placed over 2" foam but there are bumps on the streets and the workers often move the carts with the HD spinning. A Flash Drive with no moving parts will solve this problem and will at the same time increase the opening of the 30MB templates drastically.
I use only Win XP and PS CS this needs about 1 Gig of space and I could save my Templates at 72 dpi and after opening incorporate into my actions resizing to 240 dpi which I use to print. This way my files will take only 500MB instead of 3 gigs they are now.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ML
Mike_Logan
Jun 9, 2005
Too much for me – technically – but Hard Drives don’t spin when the Pute is switched off as I recall. In bygone days one used to be able to actually "park" the Hard Drive. Is this a thing of the past ? Must confess I haven’t tried it in over 10 years !!! Mind you, it was on a mini-mainframe (HP) not a PC.
P
Phosphor
Jun 9, 2005
"…the workers often move the carts with the HD spinning."

First off, demand they not do this, like an F5 tornado demands that a mobile home goes airborne.

🙂
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 9, 2005
demand they not do this.

Been There Done That.

This is not the only reason to have Flash Drives.

No seek Time and much faster openings (everything is in Ram.)
Y
YrbkMgr
Jun 9, 2005
What does the MB have to do with the Flash Drives? Ostensibly, you’ll use USB 2.0 flash drives right? That speed limit is limited by the spec of USB 2.0 – you can compare that data transfer rate (of the USB Bus) with that of an IDE or SATA data transfer rate – that would, it seems to me, to be a better guage of "how fast" you’ll be.

Food for thought.
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Jun 10, 2005
Flash based memory cards (or drives or whatever you want to call them) don’t copy and write data as fast as modern hard disc drives. There may not be any latency, but there is definitely a bandwidth issue. I sure can’t capture MiniDV quality video directly to a flash based card. It cannot sustain the 3.7MB per second data write rate. But a good 7200rpm hard disc with 8MB of cache can do that just fine.

Flash based memory cards are still wonderful in how they make somewhat large amounts of data pretty portable. I’m using thumbdrives all the time.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 10, 2005
Well I think it would be a good idea to read about it, perhaps I or you are misunderstanding. That’s why I post here to clarify.
< http://www.memtech.com/memtech_2.5-inch-ide-scsi-solid-state -flash-drives-products.html#memtech-at2550-wolverine-2.5-inc h-ide-solid-state-flash-drive>
CF
Chuck_Fogarty
Jun 10, 2005
Wow, what he’s talking about is NOT a USB 2.0 Plug-n-Play device. Here’s a quote from the link supplied above…

Being 100% IDE compatible, no special drivers or flash file managers are required to interface the drive. It is a virtual drop in replacement for standard rotating media.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 10, 2005
And here is another quote: "The access time for the drive is under 0.1 milliseconds, which permits thousands of transactions to occur per second. Cached read data performance is 26 Mbytes/second, and cached write performance is 20 Mbytes/second."
Y
YrbkMgr
Jun 10, 2005
Given that information, I retract my earlier post. It’s as Chuck said, it’s not a USB device, which wasn’t necessarily enunciated earlier.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 10, 2005
Tony: what I am looking for is some info as for file opening times, OS and PS loading times, and if someone is using it. Doing events seconds count.

it’s not a USB device, which wasn’t necessarily enunciated earlier.

Yes you are right I should have given this link at the beginning.

I am speculating that some one from Adobe will have some thing to say because my guess is that they have it checked out.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jun 10, 2005
<nodding> Gotcha. I’ll be reading any contributions to the thread with interest.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 11, 2005
Bump
Looks like bad luck.
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Jun 12, 2005
I got thrown by the USB 2.0 and "Flash-based" thing being floated in this thread. I think the term "Solid State Hard Drive" is a bit more fitting. I don’t think 2.5GB is quite enough to be practical for general use. It might be just big enough to handle the operating system. Unfortunately a lot of applications will want to be installed on the same hard disc partition as the OS.

Once solid state hard drives can reach the 10GB level and be at least a bit affordable, then people can enjoy near "instant on" boot times and near instantaneous application load times. Developers are also working on magnetic DRAM technology. Instead of having something like a solid state hard drive load the operating system, you might have a special bank of M-DRAM do the same thing.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 12, 2005
I’m with Bobby.
Look at this device, looks promising!: <http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2434>
D
deebs
Jun 12, 2005
How about composite drives dedicated, for example, to the operation system?

Maybe a hard drive housing a solid state drive too?

Transfer the OS from hard drive to solid state drive to keep the OS designers happy (it ain’t leaving the same enclosure)

Possibly with refresh checks during idle clock speeds?

An OS on chip bank would be nice. In Commodore Amiga days making a program resident in RAM wupped what 286 and 386 machines could do – but that was a long time ago 🙂
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 12, 2005
deebs wrote: Transfer the OS from hard drive to solid state drive to keep the OS designers happy (it ain’t leaving the same enclosure)

Do you mean that I could run into Software licensing problems doing it, and composite drives would solve this?

By the way: How would this work? Which Solid state drives.

I suppose off course that the guys on the fifth floor know all about this.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 12, 2005
Bobby Henderson: I don’t think 2.5GB is quite enough to be practical for general use. It might be just big enough to handle the operating system.

Yes I agree, but for my application it might work. My conern is the amount of space needed for PS’s scratch.

Here is what I do:
An opened jpg is resized and put on the clipboard then closed. Template is opened selection is loaded and the picture is pasted into selection.
I could save the templates at 50 ppi and bulid a step into the action resizing the opened template to the printing resolution of 240 ppi.
This way instead of needing 3gigs only 500MB are needed.

The cuestion here is: How much Windows and PS will need?

No other programs will be used.

Thanks for all the contributions so far.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 12, 2005
Pierre: I’m with Bobby.Look at this device, looks promising!:

Great, but this will not be available right now, and I want Mini boards with the Pentium M processors because the machines must run on battery power (12V with Inverter or 12V direct.)
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 13, 2005
Bump!
Any more?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 13, 2005
Solid state drives are obviously going to be The Future. Like everything else, the price per Gb will eventually drop to make flash drives a viable alternative.

Meanwhile however: a 2.5 Gb would be great for a scratch disk. Even a 1 Gb flash card as the primary scratch would would speed up Photoshop, which after all opens a temp file on the scratch for each and every image.

Anyone know the cost of these IDE versions currently?

Chris.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 13, 2005
<http://www.memorydepot.biz/ssd_disk.asp>

What I need on the drive is: Windows XP, PS and 600MB of files nothing else. These will be computers specially designed for Event Work.
Are the scratch sizes on the status bar correct?
How to check Windows’s Paging Files?

BTW any knowledge if one can save selections and load them in order to Pastinto with one of the downgraded PS’s.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 14, 2005
Any more answers or suggestions?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 14, 2005
Norbert, the best place to ask such questions is maybe <http://www.storagereview.com> ‘s forums.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections