RZ
Posted By
robert_zidle
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I scanned some old photos (approx. 3"x3" in size) of my children at 300dpi and am now working with PS 2 to enhance them. No problem with noise, color or brightness, but I can’t seem to sharpen the kids faces enough to really improve the pictures. Oversharpening tends to add unwanted highlights along the edges and areas of brightness.

If anyone has used a technique that provides satisfactory sharpening, please respond.

Many thanks,
Bob Zidle

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 10, 2003
I am taking a class in PSE, and our instructor had us doing this sharpening process using the Unsharp Mask filter.
I tried it on flowers and older scans of family pictures.

Use the Sharpen filter > unsharp mask, start near the settings I have listed here. Here are the settings that brought some of my pictures back to nice sharpness; the Amount slider to around 230%, the Radius to about 2.5, and the Threshold slider to 1 pixel. For each picture you will need to adjust these settings, but our instructor had us start close to these settings. Try them over and over again, and you will eventually get a picture that will be great.
I am just learning, but have really ‘saved’ some of our older family pictures, plus it is fun! Jane
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 10, 2003
The problem with Unsharp mask is it sharpens the whole photo and sometimes the overall photo looks worse when I use it (artifacts). My favorite method for sharpening any photo, including a human face, is "High Pass sharpening."

< http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening .shtml>

Smart Sharpening is another method, but it’s a LOT more involved. To do it in Elements it requires Richard Lynch’s Hidden Element tools (to get a gray channel). It concentrates on the edges in photo.

< http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/smart_sharp.shtm l>

Patti
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 10, 2003
In response to Patti’s remark,

I believe you can also perform partial sharpening by lasso-ing (running ants) an area and then do unsharp.

The unsharp tool takes a bit of practice as you can easily oversharpen your image (you see small blotches appear on normally smooth surfaces) and secondly an image that was not sharp already you can never make sharp with unsharp. (hope I made sense?).

By the way each digital image requires a bit of sharpening as digitalisation seems to give a soft edge to your images.

hope I was of help.

Robert
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 10, 2003
Robert,
I suggest that you select the kids’ faces, put them on their own layer, then apply the high-pass technique referred to by Patti above to that layer.You may want to feather the selection 2-3px to avoid a sharp delineation of the layer. I have had excellent results doing this. Working on layers will give you control and flexibility, such as adjusting the opacity of a layer, etc.
Ken
RZ
robert_zidle
Dec 10, 2003
I will apply these techniques and let you all know what type of results I was able to achieve. I wasn’t familiar with the high pass filter, so I’m anxious to apply that method. I think Robert Schraven’s observation may reflect part of my problem – the original photos are not very sharp. I’ve been very impressed with PS2 so far. I believe it makes the saying, "If you plant a radish, you get a radish," completely obsolete.

Thanks for all your help. Please keep the suggestions coming in.

Bob Zidle
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 10, 2003
Another alternative – this gives sharpening (to some extent) but doesn’t have the light rims around eyelashes etc.

Duplicate the layer to be sharpened, run the USM filter on the top layer – probably a little more intensively than usual – then change the blending mode on the sharpened layer to darken. This can also be done with the fade command from Richard Lynch’s HPA3 action player – it’s the equivalent of the full version PS fade to darken command.

Susan S.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 10, 2003
Robert Z,

Using Unsharp is most times the last thing you do before you decide the image is finished.

In addition to this it is my opinion that you can use unsharp only once per image. Just try unsharp over unsharp and you will find that the image starts to look unnatural.

I always make a note in the "information-file" that goes with the image you are working on, which says that I have used unsharp as I some times forget I used it previously.
I also make a note if I have cropped an image as well as you may loose some quality of your image that way too.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 10, 2003
Robert, I never noticed this "information file". Where can I find it?

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Leen, I guess that would be File>File Info and use the caption block….?
SR
Schraven_Robert
Dec 12, 2003
Leen,

Chuck already answered your question for me.
It is not the "information file" but "File" and then go to "File info".
That is where I drop my comments regarding alterations I made to the image. Don’t forget to save the information afterwards.
I find it a helpful tool as sometimes I go back on an image I already worked and do some more alterations. This way I avoid doubling changes.

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 12, 2003
Every day I learn something new. Thanks, both of you.

Leen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections