SS
Posted By
Susan_Soric
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Adobe Photoshop Elements application cannot display any image in true color. No matter what scanner or source (including digital camera photos), each photo is displayed with green tint, or washed in red, or with otherwise strange color markings. But when I display the same image in Adobe Image Ready, the image is perfect–even if I’ve scanned it by using Elements.

Other photo display programs produce true color.

I’ve tried different color management choices, but none work. I’m on a Mac G4, System 10.2.8. Any advice on plug-ins, adjustments, settings? Thanks! Susan:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KW
Kyle_White
Dec 10, 2003
Good Morning Susan,

PSE2 is probably the only colour managed app you’re using, so this problem would indicate that the colour profile for your monitor needs twiddling.

There is a utility in /Applications/Utilities to do just that. That will probably take care of the green tint. I’ll wager that the images washed in red are from your camera, which would indicate that you also need to pick up the "Ingore EXIF Colour Space" plug-in from Adobe, which can be found here:

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4 0&platform=Macintosh>

Hopefully that will help you square things off. If not, don’t hesitate to come back again, ’cause there’s lots of folks around here that know a heck of a lot more than I do that will be happy to help.

Come on back anyway, the more the merrier! 🙂

Kyle
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 10, 2003
Hi, Kyle. Actually, Susan, you need to start by going to system prefs>displays>color and clicking the calibrate button. Check "advanced mode" and follow the directions to calibrate your monitor. As Kyle said, PE relies on your monitor profile in a way your other applications don’t, so if you don’t have an accurate calibration, everything is going to look pretty bad.
D
donnalind
Dec 10, 2003
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but need help. I calibrated my monitor with the Spyder sytem. Then I used the Adobe Gamma Wizard, and my screen looks great. The problem is a yellow hue to my images when they are opened in Adobe Elements 2.0. I have to guess with with the colors. Any solutions out there?

thanks
Donna
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 10, 2003
Have you visited Ian Lyons’ site yet, where he does a good discussion of color management? Here’s a link for it. It’s labeled for PS 7.0, but that’s the engine on which Elements is built, so all of the information applies.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>

I also wonder about video drivers. If you’ve calibrated properly, then you shouldn’t be getting any color cast when images are viewed in Elements. If you aren’t sure whether or not you’ve got the most current driver, another thing you could do is download the latest version and see if that makes any difference.

And what’s the source of the image files you’re working on? Digital camera? Scans? A combination?
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 10, 2003
Donna,
Did you try the ignore exif utility? I think someone else mentioned it. Rich
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 10, 2003
Ah, you mean that will cause a tinge of color besides red, Rich? I thought of ignore exif, but I only remembered problems with people getting a reddish cast. Interesting. Thanks!
D
donnalind
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks for the info. Beth, Ian’s site is great. Just looked at it briefly, but I know it will help. Rich, I did see in a previous message to ignore the exif. How do you do that? I have looked everywhere I can think of. Also, since I calibrated with Spyder and Adobe Gamma wizard – will that conflict? It seems to work.

thanks again.

Donna
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 10, 2003
The Adobe site was being very sloooow, so here’s a link to the utility from VersionTracker.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/16014>

And there shouldn’t be any incompatibility with your monitor profile. This is just telling Elements to ignore some data imbedded in digital camera images. There’s a short explanation on the page.

By the way, I couldn’t find the Ignore Exif utility on the Adobe site, either. Google was easier!
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Barb!

That’s what happens when I try to put on my thinking cap before my third cup of coffee! 😉

Susan,

See, I knew somebody would be around to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Kyle
SS
Susan_Soric
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. It’s nice to see others getting help from a thread I’ve started. I’ll be trying out calibration on my monitor tonight and will let you know what happens.
D
donnalind
Dec 10, 2003
Beth,

Thank you sooooooooo much for the link! In answer to your question earlier, I am digital with the Fuji S2. I love it, but the learning curve, as I have heard, is driving me crazy. The freedom to shoot outrageously is incredible, but my kids only see the back of my head at the computer as I work on the thousands of images. Hopefully, this plug-in works with the color.

Susan, thanks for starting the calibration discussion!!

Donna
SS
Susan_Soric
Dec 11, 2003
Woe is me! I still have the same problem tonight: red and green tints on photos…..nothing seems to help it. I’m assuming I calibrated my monitor properly: I followed all the rules and it created a calibrated profile. But when I tried to follow Lyons’ web site, I found almost none of his examples and windows and options available to me in Photoshop Elements 2!

So I still have the same problem as before. This problem is independent of my scanner, my digital camera, and any other image I have available to me in my computer. It seems specific to the application and monitor somehow. The montor is a Hitachi CM715. I don’t know whether to go looking to them for help, or to see if someone in this forum has tried repairing this problem on OX 10.2.1 AND on PE2 specifically. I welcome any further advice.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 11, 2003
Susan, you might try going to Hitachi’s site and looking for a fresh copy of the profile for your monitor and calibrating from that. If your existing profiles have somehow gotten corrupted, you can’t get an accurate calibration.

Also, what do you have for color settings in the PE preferences?
SS
Susan_Soric
Dec 11, 2003
I’ve emailed Hitachi. As far as I can tell, the Color Picker is set for Apple and not Adobe, but I’ve tried both. I’m hoping Hitachi might have some clues for me. I appreciate your advice, Barbara! If anyone out there has any more clues, I’d welcome them. I don’t want to give up hope and have to buy a new monitor!!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 11, 2003
Hmm. You might also check the colorsync folder. In panther there’s a profile repair utility there, but I think that’s new. Wouldn’t hurt to take a look, though.
BH
Bernd_Hagedorn
Dec 13, 2003
Hi Susan,
I have off-color images on screen every time too since i installed Elemets Version 2. Im working with a PC Pentium 4.
The error occures in my scanner programm und in Adobe Acrobat Reader files. The photos are displayed with green tint, or washed in red, or with otherwise strange colors in this programms. The worst is, I cannot scan fotos because they have color mistakes as told before.
I did uninstall Elements 2 and nothing did change.
With my Corel Photo Paint Programm there is no problem, all colors are ok. Before that mistake I worked with Elements Version 1 and all was ok. I hope someone will have an idear to help me.
Sorry for my bad English, I’m from Germany.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections