PW
Posted By
philip_watson
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What do you guys think of all the new announcements? I for one am happy the way things are looking for the forseeable future. Please post your feedback and let the rest of us know

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 28, 2004
Apple’s switch to from ADC to DVI hasn’t meant an explosion of cable clutter after all. From the QuickTime VR movie it looks like the power is taken up from the FireWire and/or USB port (though an adapter box). Which means that the monitor end still only needs one cable connection. Very good.
PW
philip_watson
Jun 29, 2004
Its exactly like the wacom cintiq 18sx cabling
L
Larryr544
Jun 29, 2004
I especially believe that Tiger 64 will bring a huge productivity increase for photoshop and other similiar memopry intensive software.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 29, 2004
You say you want a G5 Powerbook, but Steve tells you that it’s impossible? He’s not telling the whole story. It’s not going to happen next month, but…

Norman Rohrer, chief designer of the PowerPC 970FX chip used in Apple’s Power Mac G5 desktops and Xserve servers, said the same chip that IBM uses for its desktop machines can also be used comfortably within future PowerBook notebooks through a power-management technique called "PowerTune." Industry insiders said a PPC 970FX-based notebook is not expected to ship before the end of the year, however.

– IBM: PowerPC G5 to Go Mobile <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617720,00.asp> [eweek.com]
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 29, 2004
"Tiger 64 will bring a huge productivity increase for photoshop " WHEN Photoshop will be rewritten for 64bits operation…

Still, I don’t think that Tiger is really 64bits, they would have touted more about it… It has however, access to 64bits memory adressing….
P
progress
Jun 29, 2004
will it uncap the 2gb ram limit?
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 29, 2004
As far as most apps are concerned, yes. In Panther, apps can page memory beyond 2GB but can’t address it in one go. Tiger has 64-bit virtual memory addressing and 64-bit processing libraries, but I don’t know how that will affect Photoshop because it uses a different memory model.

What’s just as exciting, potentially, is the new Core Image technology, which includes an array of image processing filters that use the graphics card for processing, rather than the CPU. If Photoshop were to use Core Image, the choice of graphics card for your Mac could become an issue.
C
CygnusX1
Jun 29, 2004
Tiger looks awesome! I like the new look of the menu bar (kinda clear aqua) The serch feature is amazing and let’s hope that Adobe implements the Core Image technology into the Mac version of Photoshop.
If you haven’t seen what this does I suggest you watch the keynote on Apple’s site. The new "Automater" could also be a very powerful tool for workflow and more.

I can’t help but think that SJ is right in stating how far ahead OSX Tiger will be, oh and you want to see "cool"? look at Dashboard and how they have implemented it in Tiger.

It’s well worth watching the keynote to see the demo.
And now iChat will support 10 voice confrences and "you plus three" Visual chats in ONE open window – very slick.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 29, 2004
Mhh, Image core and the layers of motion could be a good starting point for Apple if they wanted to create a imaging program…
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 29, 2004
They could do, and probably will use it to enhance iPhoto, but I think Core Image really is a stepping stone onto Core Video, which I have no doubt Apple will use in its movie software.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 29, 2004
will it uncap the 2gb ram limit?

For the OS, and the ability to allocate multiple 2GB chunks to applications. If an application is still 32-bits, it’s only going to see 2GB… but you will be able to run several 2GB applications at the same time.

When everything goes to 64-bits, there’s still the 42-bit addressing limit of the 970, which limits it to 2TB (Terabyte). It can still handle the full 64-bits of logical addressing, so I don’t know what will happen with RAID or servers larger than 2TB.
R
Ram
Jun 29, 2004
If Tiger were a true 64-bit operating system, I would think it would deserve a more distinctive version number than 10.4., maybe 11.0. (or even LXIV :))

What the announcement has done for me, though, is make me very glad I went with the dual bootable G4 recently rather than the G5 earlier this year. When Tiger is released next year (or the following year according to pessimists) there will be more state of the art machines to run it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 29, 2004
That’s always possible — but meanwhile you will have missed 12-months of superior computing on one of the current G5sĀ…Ā…

:~O

And Tiger’s description sounds as if it’s a true 64-bit OS to me.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 29, 2004
If Tiger were a true 64-bit operating system, I would think it would deserve a more distinctive version number than 10.4., maybe 11.0. (or even LXIV

It is kind of a shame when they get stuck with a naming convention. If they made it 11, then they would have to drop that X-thing.

If they called it OS-CS, that would eliminate all version number confusion for now on.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 1, 2004
According to the specs the new displays weigh substantially less than the previous ones, which is great, but consume more power, which is bad (unless they are brighter, which wouldn’t be bad).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups šŸ”„

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections