CD
Posted By
Chandi_Devi
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed Nikon Coolscan 5000ED negative scanner on my computer in OS 9.2.2. There is a plug-in for PS7 which allows the Nikon scanner window to open directly (import)in Photoshop. However, the plug-in won’t work. They say it’s because it needs more memory and the manual says it needs more memory than PS allots to it’s filter/plug-in area. OK..however, I cannot give this plug-in more memory, because so far, I have found no way to do it. I called Apple. You cannot give a plug-in more memory. You can give an application more memory. I did give PS and Nikon more memory, but the plug-in was unaffected.
Is there any way that I can Independently give the Nikon Coolscan plug-in more memory in PS itself??? I cannot do it via the Apple operating system. No memory box drops down, of course.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
No, it’s because Nikon failed to read the Photoshop SDK or test their plugin adequately.

They are allocating memory without telling Photoshop how much they need, so Photoshop can’t free up the memory they need.

No, you can’t give it more memory independently.

But you should ask Nikon to read documentation and fix their plugins.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
In 9.2.2 you can give NikonScan itself (NOT the plug-in) more memory. Just double, or triple, the amount which Nikon has suggested and you should be fine.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 4, 2004
I mean come on, Nikon!

I bought an old 1995 Microtek scsi scanner at a thrift store for $6, installed the latest driver for OS 9.2.2 off the web and the plugin worked like a charm and fast, too.

It can’t be that hard to follow Adobes SDK rules, is it? Geez!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
All that you need to do is to increase the memory allocation to the NikonScan application itself. (You needed to do the same with UMAX’s MagicScan.)

Both software packages provide considerably more capability and sophistication than Microtek offered.

The manufacturers’ error, in both cases, was in trying to fool the user into believing that they needed less RAM than they actually did.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 4, 2004
Oh, I didn’t realize that could be the problem.

Sorry, Nikon, excuse my misdirected rant.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections