L
Posted By
LRK
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have we told you lately that we love you? I’m telling you now. Photoshop meets the needs! It’s built to accomodate the busy graphic artist… or photographer, etc. I hardly ever have to think about what should have been and isn’t. I never have to worry about whether Photoshop will carry me through the next job without crashing. I never have to concern myself because my workspace gets messy. I never have to worry about much of anything with Photoshop. My requests, if I have any, are minor.

I think you all deserve a lot of credit. I want you to know how much you all are loved! I am very grateful for the job you do and the standards of excellence you maintain!

Thank you for making my daily workflow in Photoshop a pleasant one!

Linda

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 25, 2004
love is a 4 letter word.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 25, 2004
I like Photoshop!

(now turn the default behavior of the path tool and brushes back to what it was for years and keep the advanced features as options beyond default)

Oh!.. and "a" is for airbrush. (used to be an important key; I don’t ever use it now)

Photoshop is great!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 25, 2004
Bravo, Photoshop people (applause, standing ovation.)
L
Larryr544
Jun 25, 2004
Yes Photoshop is amazing!
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 25, 2004
concur
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 25, 2004
What Allen said.
G
graffiti
Jun 25, 2004
I agree with Graham.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 25, 2004
Copy cats!
(Photoshop ain’t for parrots)

Photoshop rocks!
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jun 26, 2004
Yeah, the only thing is if you compliment them too much, they’ll think all their work is done and then all they’ll do is sit around tinking how great they are. . .Photoshop is great, but it ain’t done yet!!!!

Get to work guys. . .don’t read this stuff, it’ll just make your heads too big. . .

πŸ™‚
G
graffiti
Jun 26, 2004
then all they’ll do is sit around tinking how great they are

Well…the already to THAT. πŸ™‚
L
LRK
Jun 26, 2004
Hey Jeff… Tell that to some of the folks working on Illustrator. AICA still doesn’t have the ability to save custom workspaces. πŸ˜‰
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 26, 2004
Jeff, Keep on keeping on! : )
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 27, 2004
What Laurentiu said.
L
LRK
Jun 27, 2004
What Laurentiu said. 8)
R
Ram
Jun 27, 2004
What everybody said!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 27, 2004
it’ll just make your heads too big. . .

too late…..

not done.

everything still wrong.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 27, 2004
Just ONE thing is still wrong and you all know what that is Β….

[Clue: It’s ancient History now — but it still needs to be fixed.]
C
Cindy
Jun 27, 2004
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside…sigh
L
Larryr544
Jun 27, 2004
We need a National Adobe Day in San Jose!!!
DM
david_marley
Jun 27, 2004
I agree: Photoshop has fantastic features. Moreover, it has a great interface. Illustrator and InDesign have excellent features, but their palettes are a mess. Could you folks give them some pointers on how to make a great dialog box?
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 27, 2004
How about a corner grab/size adjuster for all dialog boxes. I’ve recently tried out PS 7.01 and noticed the new expanded layout of some dialog boxes now nearly cover a quarter of the screen on my 19" monitor. They seem much larger than PS 4 and 5’s.

There are now huge areas of empty gray space some as big as 2" square covering my image where I have to practically move the box off to the edge of my screen just to see what I’m doing.

For example the curves dialog box, the pencil/curve icon and input/output readouts have been moved outward extending beyond the grid box. Why? This creates quite a bit of empty space when you also include the extra gray bounding border separating the button icons on the right. The assign and convert profile DB extend 1/2 the width of my screen.

Is there some kind of secret preference to change the size and layout of dialog boxes I’ve missed?

Other than this, I think the Adobe engineers are gods! =:o
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 27, 2004
I don’t believe in Gods, but I’ve painted some angels
(so I must believe in them; mustn’t I?)

I think the Photoshop engineers are angels.
(the bidding’s going downwards : )
L
Larryr544
Jun 27, 2004
OK We can have a National Adobe Day Nationally.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 27, 2004
I think I’m going to get sick.

When they decide to come down from the 10th floor, put their pride in their back pocket, and spend some quality time in the real world, then maybe "god" status will happen.

until then…

get real.
P
Phosphor
Jun 27, 2004
If Photoshop was finished cooking, one might question the dubious motives of those who continue throwing spices in the Feature Requests stew pot.

Photoshop’s brilliant, but…
L
LRK
Jun 27, 2004
I think what triggers my continual appreciation for the Photoshop team is the frustration I feel over other applications, Illustrator in particular, where one of the simplist and most essential features has been ignored… being able to save workspaces in AICS. Those who have the luxury of two monitors have no idea the inconvenience of not being able to quickly clean up palettes, especially when you use as many as I do. When I have to work fast it is even more of a problem because I end up moving them constantly in search for the ones that might be hidden.

Don’t get me wrong, I think AICS is a truly wonderful application and the engineers are geniuses… but I do not understand why they have not implement this in by now. It should have been implemented one or two versions ago as was the case with PS.

When I get frustrated with AI I end up counting my blessings with PS and that means the team behind it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 27, 2004
yes,

the product is great.

It’s not finished by any means.

yes, I bitch a lot, but I also offer solutions to address real problems.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 28, 2004
Regarding Illustrator’s palettes:
I "dock" mine to the bottom of others and minimize/maximize single palettes, or the whole group, as needed. I just keep the grouped palettes in the same positions on the screen so that I know exactly where to find what I need and Illustrator always relaunches with the palettes in their customary places.
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Well, I’m using AI 9 in Classic, and the program launches with the palettes right where I always keep them on my second monitor. Has Illustrator 11 regressed?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 28, 2004
Illustrator 11/CS re-opens with its palettes where you last left them too. (It was CS that I was talking about in #29.)
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Then Linda must be wishing for the ability to save multiple custom workspaces in CS?
O
Oh2
Jun 28, 2004
I totally agree with all the extraordinarily positive comments expressed here about PS. I’m not a professional, nor am I anything near what someone like, Ann Shelbourne (Who I’m in total awe of… sheesh what a mind for it) might consider competent but I’m getting there.

PS is just soooo damned much fun to play around with, for novices like me, because it’s intuitive, rewarding and, I might add, it’s coolness factor flys off all charts. I bought it just because it’s challenging yet fun to use and plus it was cheaper than a boat.

AI could use a healthy dose of some of these things that make PS so awesome IMHO. I downloaded the 30 day AI demo, have played around with it for a week or so and am growing oh so weary of it after just a week. It makes me glad I’m not a professional but PS makes me wish I was one. Keep keeping on, Adobe.
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Β…and plus it was cheaper than a boat.

Ooh, good thinking! Now I know what to say when I buy my next camera! πŸ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 28, 2004
repeat after me.

you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 28, 2004
Mike – Anything, but Anything must be better than teaching Economics 101…!! I love PSCS too, and I’m not a professional, I’m an amateur. I’d love to be able to make some money out of this graphics stuff but I’m sufficiently cluey about realitites to know that when people say ‘oh what a professional job, have you thought about going into business?’, they are the ones who don’t have the clue…
O
Oh2
Jun 28, 2004
Whether as "boss" or as subordinate, every job I’ve had in my life eventually wound up sucking so bad and jerking me into a knot that I’ve just quit and moved on to something else. I don’t give a rip about career paths or being rich… I just want to be happy and I’ve come to think about jobs as temporary pleasures. = ^ )

,_,
(O,O)
( )
-"-"-
O
Oh2
Jun 28, 2004
Eww, what happened to my wise owl? Oh well!
L
LRK
Jun 28, 2004
<< repeat after me. you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector. >>

you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector. you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector. you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector. you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector. you don’t want to be a professional in the commercial sector.

My husband will attest to that. He does not even consider opportunities to work for others anymore, not even for lots of money. He is self-employed and probably will be for life… unless he gets hungry enough that he has to do something else. πŸ™‚
O
Oh2
Jun 28, 2004
I kinda get the message but what else could I do with PS wings? I totally understand how sucky it might be to work around artsy fartsy types (That’s not a put down… I belong to that group too) but with ego’s bigger than all of reality squared (I’ll exclude myself here) and all of the politics and envy and jealousy and backstabbing that must go on in the commercial end of this business. To be fair though, you’ll run into most of this crap no matter who you work for, no matter what area of experise. And having your own business is no picnic either. There aren’t any exits.
A
Adolph
Jun 28, 2004
"We need a National Adobe Day in San Jose!!!"

Great idea Larry. Adobe should give a party for all users. A good location would be at the art museum about two blocks from the Adobe Towers. Even better, at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. PARTY!!!
L
Larryr544
Jun 28, 2004
Adolph – Please arrange for free software for life for those who attend. I’ll charge admission at the door! Thanks for picking the location. Now when should we do it?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 28, 2004
Villa Montalvo !

I’m there.

<http://VillaMontalvo.com/ourhistory.html>
GB
g_ballard
Jun 28, 2004
Free Adobe software?

BTW
Who is Seetharaman Narayanan (and why is he #2 in the PS credits)?
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 28, 2004
Shush! He’s the shaman.
Z
Zeb
Jun 28, 2004
I thought you’d seen this g.
<http://www.schewephoto.com/pei/pshistory.pdf>
GB
g_ballard
Jun 28, 2004
Wow, that’s great!
Thank you…
GB
g_ballard
Jun 28, 2004
These days, where might I get a copy of PS1 to mess around with?

I wasn’t PS-aware until v2 and I couldn’t affort it or the Mac then…I got my first license with PS3 (and Centris 650), but didn’t start using PS until a year later when I got my Umax PL scanner (bundled with PS4), and was able to get my own photos in my 14-inch Apple monitor — I still recall the way that old 040 box grumbled opening a 4MB file…

Have never seen PS1 on Ebay.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections