DB
Posted By
Do_Brinkmann
Dec 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Sony DSC (Cyber-Shot) S50 camera. I am using computer with 98 second edition. All is well… Question???? When I change to XP do you suppose this camera be compatible?

My manual that came with camera makes a point of saying it is compatible with the Windows 98. I don’t think XP was out when this camera first hit the market. Hope someone can give me some info…thanks. Do

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 8, 2003
Do, how do you download your pictures? If you have a card reader, you needn’t worry about the switch to XP; XP will treat your card reader like a hard drive. Works MUCH better than 98 in that regard. If you’re downloading with your camera directly attached using the Sony software, you may need to check on the Sony website to see if there’s a new driver that should be downloaded. In any event, I’d strongly recommend the use of a card reader – safe and simple.

Chuck
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Dec 8, 2003
Thanks Chuck for you prompt answer.

I actually have a card reader, but only used once. Forget what you do and will have to find instructions!

What I do is plug cord from USB port to little hole in side of camera. I then upload (download?…whatever) pictures to computer screen. Then copy and paste in "My Pictures" with a new file name.
Very "old fashioned" I guess, but I have never had any trouble. The time it takes doesn’t bother me…keeps me out of other trouble!!!

Anyway just the fact that I can continue to use this camera makes me happy!!! But advice is always welcome. I don’t have any friends that have a camera or messes with PSE, so I plug along. Thank goodness for the User Forum and all you helpful guys and gals! Do
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 8, 2003
Do, one thing I found when I made the conversion to XP: the converter made a list for me of programs that might not work in XP. It was pretty accurate, too, and it wasn’t a very long list.

Another nice feature of XP: when I insert a card into the reader, XP pops up a window giving me a bunch of choices of what to do with the contents of the card. I don’t have to fool around opening Windows Explorer; it’s done for me. Anyway, I think you’ll like XP once you get through the installation!

Chuck
MM
Michael Moody
Dec 8, 2003
Hi Do. Look into connecting your camerea with the cable. Open PE2 and then select File, Browse, then File, Batch Processing. The source would be your camera. Then you can view, import, change file formats (I use PSD) and move the images to your hdd all in one move. Very fast and convenient.

wrote in message
I have Sony DSC (Cyber-Shot) S50 camera. I am using computer with 98
second edition. All is well… Question???? When I change to XP do you suppose this camera be compatible?
My manual that came with camera makes a point of saying it is compatible
with the Windows 98. I don’t think XP was out when this camera first hit the market. Hope someone can give me some info…thanks. Do
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Dec 9, 2003
Yes, it will work with XP. You may need to go to the Sony web site and down load a new driver for it, or a updated version of the software for that camera. I have two older Sony cameras, and both work on either win’98se or xp pro. With XP, it picked both of them up as separate drives is all. I did have to down load a "newer version" of my software that came with the camera for one of them to work however.
I think you will like XP a LOT better, and the learning curve is very small as well. Enjoy,
Gary
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 9, 2003
Hi Do,

Here’s a website for downloading drivers on Sony’s website.

<http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/select-di.pl>

My Video Camera Recorder needs a memory stick adaptor because the cord isn’t a USB and can’t be plugged directly into my computer. I downloaded the driver for XP and it works just fine.

XP does give you a report on what won’t be compatible. They recommend that you download the correct drivers before installing XP. I didn’t do that and so far everything has worked by downloading the drivers later. Some drivers I have had to pay for!!! It might be a good idea to print out that report and fix anything ahead of time. That way you’ll know what the extra investment will be if you need to pay for the drivers. I bought XP a yr. ago, and it didn’t work with very many of my programs, so I uninstalled it. Now I have replaced almost all the hardware, so it isn’t too costly.

Good luck. I’m just learning about XP, but love it, and it fixed a LOT of problems I was having with Windows 98.

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
Barb, what a bummer that you’ve had to pay for new drivers; can’t believe any reputable company would do that. Of course, I don’t count Microsoft in that category…

🙂
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Chuck,

So far, I’ve just had to pay $10 plus shipping to HP for my CD burner. I haven’t had time to install all the drivers I need yet, so I’m hoping that’s the last one I need to purchase. If I hadn’t of just bought a new scanner and printer (HP), I’m assuming I probably would have had to pay for those drivers too since my computer is 5 yrs. old. I was surprised too that HP didn’t have free downloads.

Last year, I had too many "incompatibles", and I didn’t think it was worth the time, effort or money to fix everything.

Thanks,

Barb
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Gary and Barbara…Forewarned is forearmed!! So thank you both very much for your suggestions. I don’t have the XP yet, but will plan to get and install (ugh) in February after going on a couple of trips. I am bookmarking your messages and Chuck’s, too. Do
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 10, 2003
You’re welcome, Do. Every day is a learning experience. 🙂

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Barb, I still have an unresolved problem with my DVD player after the XP conversion. It’s not a driver per se; it’s the software to play DVD’s. I decided to pass ’cause I’m likely to buy a combo DVD burner one day soon. (Never did getting around to installing a new high speed CD burner; still sitting in the box on the bookshelves behind me….)

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Chuck,

What do you mean by buying a combo DVD burner? You mean one that will also play movies? I almost didn’t purchase the driver, because CD burners are very cheap now compared to what I paid ($350) back then. Now they’re around $50. I, for a second, thought it might be worth it to buy a newer version, but decided for $10 I’d get the most recent update.

The DVD works fine, but the CD burner doesn’t.

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Barb, I haven’t shopped for one yet, but I’m guessing that a DVD burner will both create and play DVD’s – but I’ll let someone who knows comment on that…!

🙂

Chuck
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 11, 2003
Barb,

These days it is not uncommon to have a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combination, that will read/play DVD’s and CD’s and let you burn your own CD-R and CD-RW. (This is what Apple calls their "Combo" drive) Somewhat more expensive but becoming very popular is the DVD-/+RW/CD-RW. These drives will let you burn DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW as well as CD-R and CD-RW, as well as read/play all these formats. (Apple calls these Superdrives)

There was a kerfufle brewing between DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW, but many manufacturers are building drives that handle both. The "plus" and the "minus" systems use slightly different media that are not compatible with each other when writing to them, although many drives, but not all, will read either.

I’ve got both a Combo and an older Super (it’ll only do DVD "minus"), and I’m glad I’ve got them. Having the 4.5GBytes of storage for doing back-ups with the DVD-R is marvelous and the combo drive is faster at burning CD’s.

HTH 🙂

Kyle
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Kyle, thanks. Will wait until after the crazy season to shop for a new toy….!
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a DVD-R/RW. I’ll have to check into that further. That sounds like the way to go. What’s next? I guess I need to start hanging out at Circuit City. 🙂

Thanks also, Chuck.

Barbara
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
There are some good buys now, Chuck! The one I bought just a couple of days ago is DVD/CD + and -. $130 plus another $40 for enough software to get you doin’ anything you want! Merry Christmas! (It would look nice in your stocking!) 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, I’ll probably wait until it’s under 3 figures…

🙂

p.s. reminds me. I haven’t finished my Christmas shopping…
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Kyle,

Sadly, none of my grammar lessons included kerfuffle.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

Byron
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 11, 2003
Byron,

You must have known "kerfuffle" ’cause you spelled it correctly!!!

LOL 🙂 🙂

Kyle
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Kyle,

I had never heard the word. I entered it verbatim (minus the f) on the Merriam-Webster dictionary web site, and they gave me the full spelling, along with the definition.

I still haven’t used it… waiting for just the right opportunity to enrich someone else’s word power!!

Thanks, again.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Byron, I seem to recall they have a kerfuffle on the menu at IHOP….

🙂
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Kyle,

Is this what you were talking about?

<http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/index.jhtml>

I received an email from Roxio about this upgrade for the Easy CD Creator 3 that I currently have. They offered me $79.95 for a download or the same price to have it shipped (free shipping).

I was downloading the upgrade for the "3" version the other day. It was going to take over an hr. and it started thundering, so I canceled the download. Just wondering if this is the way I should go?

Thanks,

Barbara
KW
Kyle_White
Dec 12, 2003
Hi Barbara!

I’m on the Mac side of the house, but my best tool for dealing with DVD/CD burning is Roxio’s Toast Titanium, which would be the equivalent of Easy CD/DVD Creator for a PC.

If you’re willing to spill that number of pennies, then it is definitely much better than the tools that generally come with OS’s. You’ll have much greater flexibility in what you burn and how, including compatibility with other operating systems/file systems, DVD players for the home theatre etc. etc.

If you spring for a DVD+/-RW and CD-RW superdrive you’ll be in a position to do cotton pickin’ near anything you want! 🙂

You can store a LOT of PSD’s or TIFFs on a DVD!

Kyle
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 13, 2003
Thanks, Kyle. I’m checking into it.

Barbara
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 14, 2003
Do,

An article in my local paper today said Microsoft will no longer support Win98 after this month, but there may be downloads to fix serious problem if it occurs in the future. So it may be time to upgrade to Win XP. The Home Edition is cheaper and more than adequate for my own simple use.

Shan
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 14, 2003
Shan, re XP: I have Home on my desktop and Pro on my laptop (the latter is networked with several other laptops and a server when I go on assignment with the folks for whom I’m working part-time. Both seem to function quite well, even though I went against the recommendations of many and loaded on top of Win 98 SE and all the existing files. Incidentally, I was reminded today of why I did it that way: ran NAV on my desktop and it scanned 118,000 files….! Think I need all of them?? Nah…but how to figure out what should go??

Chuck
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 14, 2003
Chuck,

Like to share with you my thinking on transfering files between puters. If you have a larger drive (or 2 drives) and the use of a partitioning software, it may be easier to take advantage of a dual boot sytem. That way you can take your time in migrating the files you really need to the XP drive as they are needed. Eventually after a period of time, whatever is left on the 98 drive may be junked. Just a thought I had from thinking about getting Partition Magic or some such when the wife gets her next puter to replace her old machine running ME. Don’t really know if it works though. :p

Shan
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 14, 2003
I did some checking on the Easy CD Creator 6 vs. Nero’s. Most of the reviews thought CD Creator was terrible and Nero was the way to go. I’m still checking. Does anyone have Nero? I was very pleased with my 3 version of Easy CD Creator, but I can’t download an update. Or I thought I could, and tried it, but upon reading the reviews, it doesn’t work. Sure glad I didn’t spend the 1+ hr. it was going to take.

Also, the 5.5 version of Nero is supposed to be just as good as 6.

BTW, I saw a show where they covered the labels of wine bottles and Two Buck Chuck won the taste test.

Barb
R
Ray
Dec 14, 2003
Chuck,

On a 40 Gb size disk (Drive C:), I have 165,503 files in 8,918 folders. And the pictures aren’t there 🙂

Seriously, you might consider removing a few softwares that you don’t use. You might also clean your temporary files (Windows XP / Control Pannel / Performance and Maintenance / Free space on my disk).

Then you might consider running a utility to remove duplicate files. Something like : http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10224157.html
I haven’t tried it, but judging on the rating, 97% of satisfied customer, I think you can’t go wrong.

There is also this shareware. Seems pretty smart, and not as "toyish" as the other. Couldn’t find
if the shareware version will work for 15 days or any other rules : http://www.funduc.com/dupfiles.htm

Ray
R
Ray
Dec 14, 2003
Barbara,

Another software to consider is RecordNow Max. It’s from Veritas, the company many corporate backup
solutions. RecordNow (lite) came bundled with my DVD Burner, so I’ve been using it a lot lately and
I’m very satisfied. The lite version has only burning capabilities. It can’t create a slideshow or
edit video like the full version.

I also have another of their product, Backup My PC! It’s excellent.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 14, 2003
Ray, thanks for the good advice! Glad to see my explosion of files isn’t all that unique…

🙂
R
Ray
Dec 14, 2003
Microsoft has a tendancy to make things bigger and bigger and bigger with every new version of Windows. Even Visual Basic, which once was a very little and handy programming language has become somehow monstruous with the latest version, Visual Basic .Net

Ray
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 14, 2003
Thanks Raymond,

I just installed my update from HP for my CD burner, and Veritas Storeageguard came with it. I just tried to open it and it has some errors, so I’ll have to fix that. I’m not sure what that’s for.

I also got RecordNow with the update. Version 3.5, so I don’t know if that’s the lite or Max. You’re right, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, but I’m glad to hear you like it and will stick with that until I need something else. I was able to drag and drop a file to a new CD without formatting it, so that’s a good thing!

Thanks, one problem solved. 🙂

Barbara
R
Ray
Dec 14, 2003
Barbara,

RecordNow lite has been very ok so far. When I need something more specific (like removing the silence between songs, or converting MP3s to Audio CDs), I use Easy CD Creator 5 (with the hope it won’t crash / damage a disk…)

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 15, 2003
Barbara B,

So glad to know that the famous/infamous Two Buck Chuck actually won a taste test, and on a TV show too. I was getting to suspect my taste buds were severely at fault. Phew! 🙂

Shan
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 15, 2003
Hi Shan,

My taste buds haven’t tried it yet, but with all this hoopla will have to do so. 🙂 My BIL favors himself a wine connosieur, and he gives it a big thumbs up.

Barbara
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 15, 2003
Ray, I copied a folder to a CD. I need to make some changes to some of the files. I can’t figure out how to make the CD rewriteable. Is that possible with RecordNow? I didn’t get any "help" in Help! I tried changed it from read only to archive, but it wouldn’t let me.

Thanks,

Barbara
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 15, 2003
Barbara, there are two kinds of CDs (well, in general) – "plain" CDs and CD-RWs. If you’ve burned to one that is not rewriteable, you’ll not be able to make changes. If you’ve burned to a CD-RW, you may need to reformat the CD and do your burn again – making the additions to the folder while it’s on the hard drive and then burning it to CD again. There are also some CDs that can be burned in sessions. (I think this might have been covered somewhere earlier in this thread, but I don’t remember offhand.) You’ll need to determine what kind of CD you’re using and check the software for options on burning in sessions. It’s not possible to just slide more image files into a folder that’s already been burned on to a CD, like you would if the folder was still on your hard drive.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 15, 2003
Hi Beth, thank you. I should have said it’s a rewriteable CD. Ray has the same software, so I was hoping he could help me figure out how to do it. I checked all through help and couldn’t see where I could format it to rewrite to, nor was I able to change it from read only. I save info on CD’s all the time that I keep revising. If I can’t rewrite with RecordNow, I’ll have to get another software program.

I solved this particular problem by copying it back into Word, made my changes and then it overrode the current file on the CD. I don’t want to have to do that all the time. I have too much info stored to keep it on my hard drive.

So if RecordNow does what you suggest, I can’t figure out how. I’m learning little by little. I think it would almost be easier to buy a new CD burner rather than mess with updates. Thanks again. 🙂

Barbara
R
Ray
Dec 16, 2003
Barbara,

I’ve done a screen shot of the version of RecordNow I’m using. I’ve circled (or squared ?) the button you need to find. It’s in French (Effacer), but in English, it should read something like "Erase"

http://www.pbase.com/image/24177072

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 16, 2003
Ray,

Sorry if this is redundant. Were you able to get a trial copy of Record Now or did you have to buy it outright?

Dick
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks, Ray, for going to all that trouble. : I’ll check it out soon.

Dick, you didn’t ask, but my copy came with the update (that I had to buy) from HP for my CD writer.

Barbara
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks, Barbara. It looks like a good piece of software. Just not sure I want to pop for it at this time.

Dick
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 17, 2003
You’re welcome, Dick. I got a heck of a deal yesterday. Office Max has a Micro Advantage DVD +/- / CD-RW Burner after rebates for $79.99 (originally $199). It comes with Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 ($100 program) and Photosuite 5, plus a free DVD disc. I was going to pop for the CD Creator 6 on sale for $79.99, so that equals free hardware. My problems are all fixed.

Barbara
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 17, 2003
Barbara, thanks for the tip! I was looking at a Pacific Digital burner in Sam’s that was $198; your Office Max deal blows that one away. Only advantage to the Pacific burner is that it’s external, ‘though it needs a USB 2.0 port to work efficiently (alas, only 1.1 on my aging machine).

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 17, 2003
You’re welcome, Chuck. I thought about posting that deal as a separate post. I think I will. 🙂

Barbara

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections