AB
Posted By
alan_boliston
Aug 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone help me here? Not being able to afford a computer with a film scanner and PS, I’ve always had to rely on public facilities (very expensive if it’s at art centres, where you’re paying by the hour).

But then I found that going to evening and part-time day classes at my local university in Wales gave me access to the university’s computer facilities, which included scanners and PS.

This was great, but now I’m having to move from Wales, and I’d like to go to a place that has a university or college that will give me this sort of computer
access. I’m finding it surprisingly hard to get the necessary info from the universities themselves, however, as a lot of them are really slow in replying to my emails (and trying to get to the adult education/continuing education departments on the ‘phone is even worse).

Does anyone here have any experiences of using PS on university computers as
a part-time student?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LH
Lucrezia Herman
Aug 16, 2003
In message , alan
boliston writes
Can anyone help me here? Not being able to afford a computer with a film scanner and PS, I’ve always had to rely on public facilities (very expensive if it’s at art centres, where you’re paying by the hour).

a part-time student?

Speaking as a UK university librarian, I can tell you that if you’re a registered student at an institution – whether part-time or full-time – you’ll have access to that university’s IT facilities. However, if you’re a student in the chemistry department and want to use a pc/mac in the Art & Design resource room, you may need to contact that department regarding an available time slot as, understandably, priority will naturally be given to students on courses requiring that particular software (which may not be available elsewhere on campus). Our own IT resource rooms provide access to scanners and Paint Shop Pro, and Photoshop is on order. I expect we’re pretty typical.

Another thing to keep in mind – many universities are able to obtain discounted hardware and software for their registered students. Unfortunately, the prices aren’t as competitive as their equivalent educational discounts in the US, where it’s possible to get Photoshop for $200.

-Lucrezia

http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm
E
edjh
Aug 16, 2003
Lucrezia Herman wrote:

/snip/
Wonderful pictures, Lucrezia.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
S
Stephan
Aug 16, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
Lucrezia Herman wrote:

/snip/
I agree, really nice photography!

Stephan
H
Hecate
Aug 17, 2003
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:01:22 +0100, Lucrezia Herman
wrote:

Speaking as a UK university librarian,

Nottingham or Trent? Or would that be telling? 😉

Really nice images. Are you using film or digital? And the quality looks like medium format, but it’s difficult to tell on screen? (if it’s digital, I’m amazed! <g>)

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
L
Lucrezia
Aug 17, 2003
In message <g0z%a.3933$>, Stephan
writes
"edjh" wrote in message
Lucrezia Herman wrote:

/snip/
I agree, really nice photography!

Thank you both! I should have another 20 or so photos ready to add next month. As they’ll all be produced using PS7, I’ll post a note here…

-Lucrezia

L
Lucrezia
Aug 17, 2003
In message , Hecate
writes
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:01:22 +0100, Lucrezia Herman
wrote:

Speaking as a UK university librarian,

Nottingham or Trent? Or would that be telling? 😉

Nah, no secret. I’m at THE Nottingham Trent University. (Note the definite article, required by Corporate Affairs on all occasions…)
Really nice images. Are you using film or digital? And the quality looks like medium format, but it’s difficult to tell on screen? (if it’s digital, I’m amazed! <g>)

Thanks – they’re all digital, using an Olympus 920 or 3040, soon to be joined by images taken with an Oly 5050. Levels and/or curves adjustments are the "secret" as the straight-from-the-camera shots look pretty flat. They all also need the unsharp mask, which I usually apply in Lab Mode.

-Lucrezia

H
Hecate
Aug 17, 2003
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:20:02 +0100, Lucrezia wrote:

Thanks – they’re all digital, using an Olympus 920 or 3040, soon to be joined by images taken with an Oly 5050. Levels and/or curves adjustments are the "secret" as the straight-from-the-camera shots look pretty flat. They all also need the unsharp mask, which I usually apply in Lab Mode.
In that case, may I just say Wow! 😉

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
S
Stuart
Aug 18, 2003
I work in a university and would like to point out that if you have been trying to contact an universities in the last week then you won’t get much of a reply as the A-Level results came out last Thursday and now they are busy with clearing. So it will probably be a good idea to wait a week and try phoning again.

Also you are not very clear on your situation, is there somewhere you know you are moving to? I assume so as you said you had tried to contact places, if you are a student then it may be possible to buy an educational version of Photoshop or even Photoshop Elements a lot cheaper than the full versions.

The question you asked is a bit hard to answer as each university will have a different policy regarding computer access and what programs they will have available. If you are having trouble contacting them by phone or email try the website, see what courses they are doing, if there is a Photoshop course then they will have machines with it on but you will still need to contact the relevant institutions.

Stuart

alan boliston wrote:

But then I found that going to evening and part-time day classes at my local university in Wales gave me access to the university’s computer facilities, which included scanners and PS.

This was great, but now I’m having to move from Wales, and I’d like to go to a place that has a university or college that will give me this sort of computer
access. I’m finding it surprisingly hard to get the necessary info from the universities themselves, however, as a lot of them are really slow in replying to my emails (and trying to get to the adult education/continuing education departments on the ‘phone is even worse).

a part-time student?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections