CS
Posted By
charles_s_corker
Jun 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PSCS on my G4 and OS 10.2.8 for a few months without any problems. This morning I ran "repair permissions’ because my Mail programme quit a couple of times.
Mail seems to be working fine now. This afternoon I was processing about 50 images and was saving them as jpgs prior to converting them for the web. Every time after I entered the new name and location and hit OK there was a long delay (20 sec) before the screen asking what quality I wished to save as appeared. Restarting the computer did not bring about any improvement.
Any views on what might be the problem greatfully received. Charles

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 19, 2004
There are several other maintenance tasks which need to be done regularly and I think that you would find running "Cocktail" to be the easiest way to do this.

Also, how much space do you have on your HDs?
(Hopefully, you have more than one internal HD because that makes a huge difference to performance.)
CS
charles_s_corker
Jun 20, 2004
Thank you Ann for your suggestion, I will search for "cocktail" and give it a try. It may be that the disc is geting full though there is still 25% unused, but I will Archive some of the stuff. Mainly photos. They are already duplicated on an external drive but perhaps I will connect up my powerbook laptop and burn them to DVD.
The puzzle really is why the change from morning to afternoon when all I had done was use Mail and run repair permissions
Charles
CS
charles_s_corker
Jun 20, 2004
Ann
Thanks for the tip. Downloaded Cocktail and ran it. PSCS back to normal. This forum is really helpful to novices like me
Charles
B
Buko
Jun 20, 2004
there is still 25% unused

time to get a new drive.

they are cheap now.
L
Larryr544
Jun 20, 2004
And inexpensive also.
CS
charles_s_corker
Jun 20, 2004
Thanks everyone. Ann’s suggestion solved my immediate problem, and forcing me to check the state of the hard drive prompted some serious archiving and trashing of folders etc. I now have 50 % of my drive available. I will lok at getting a second drive both to increase storage but also to use as a scratch disc to speed up photoshop now that I am using it more amd more and on bigger files
Many Thanks
Charles
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
Glad it worked. A stiff Cocktail whenever Photoshop gets sluggish seems to be the best tonic.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections