M
Posted By
Matthewwales
Jun 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 running on a G5 2Ghz DP 10.3.2, everything had been running fine until yesterday. The problems I have are the same in Photoshop and Illustrator, when you use the space bar to grab the canvas and move it the hand icon flashes and won’t grab the canvas. Also when you use the shift key to constrain it doesn’t work, along with alt to copy an item. If you restart the machine it works for about 10 min then stops, I have tried to repair the disk permissions but it makes no difference. Don’t know what else to do.

Please Help

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jamesthompson
Jun 18, 2004
I too am experiencing these same problems. Running on a 1.6Ghz, 10.3.2 Mine was fine until last week, then the problems started. I have cleared out my preferences, tried everything short of reinstalling.

Just wanted to let you know you were not alone with the problems, and hope someone out there has a solution other than reinstalling.
J
jamesthompson
Jun 18, 2004
Mathew,

I found another thread that suggested this issue was related to the auto login. Go figure. Anyway, I switched my user accounts to automatically log me in, rebooted, and now the keyboard shortcuts work. Why the autologin is affecting only these two adobe products I have no idea. All of my Macromedia aps, Indesign, etc worked just fine, only Photoshop and Illustrator.

Hope that at least helps you out in the short term.
M
Matthewwales
Jun 24, 2004
Unfortunately it’s not an option to have auto login enabled as I have lots of different users, though I did try it and still had the problem! I have deleted the apps just by dragging the folders from the app and the application support folder to the trash, reinstalled and still got the problem. I have run cocktail and tried it all over again, it works fine for like 10min then the alt and shift shortcuts stop again. I’m getting loads of grief from our designers as we have 4 other G5’s that have identical software and are working sweet! Do not want to format the drive as there is loads to backup and reinstalling Quark will be a hassle (yes I know I should switch to InDesign but there is a cost issue as Quark was ordered before I arrived!!!)

Any other Ideas
P
Phosphor
Jun 24, 2004
Sometimes, when a restart doesn’t fix something when other reports say that it will, a total shutdown, wait-a-minute-or-two, THEN restart will work.

Don’t know, but I’ve found it to work on a couple of occasions.

It’s worth a try.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 24, 2004
I would take it a step further:

<< total shutdown, >>

Pull the plug from the wall

wait-a-minute-or-two, THEN restart.
M
Matthewwales
Jun 24, 2004
OK, am going to try and pull the power from the machine and if that does not work I am going to reformat the drives (160 and 250) and start a fresh! Am I mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 24, 2004
Reformatting is pretty drastic and probably not the answer anyway.

Start by updating to OS 10.3.4 and check that you have updated Photoshop to 7.0.1 and Illustrator to 10.0.3. Or go one better and install CS. And check for updated drivers for all peripherals. Check for mis-matched RAM. Run Repair Permissions and Disk Repair from the CD (having booted from the CD).
Have you ruled-out all application-conflicts; removed haxies; checked fonts; trashed application Prefs. (or even pulled all of your Prefs, into a spare desktop folder and emptied the Prefs. folder); removed any installed Norton programs; checked your Keyboard settings?

Try all of these things before re-formatting. Good luck.
M
Matthewwales
Jun 25, 2004
Ann

I’m not able to update to 10.3.4 as our IT Police have not yet approved it! I’m a bit blind as I did not notice that this mac had Norton installed and the others don’t, I have turned Norton off, trashed the preference files, checked the fonts (all ok), run Repair Permissions and restarted the mac. All is working ok 15 min, check it again on Monday as I’m out of work now!

Thanks
TM
Teresa_Martin
Jun 28, 2004
I, too, am having the same aggravation of my shortcut keys not working. Driving me mad at the moment. This was just a recent thing that started happening to me also the week before last. (I was on vacation last week, so didn’t have to deal with it.) The last thing that I installed was the Security Update from Apple, Microsoft Office 2004 and Macromedia Studio MX 2004. I wonder if there’s a conflict in there somewhere. I’m also on a G5 and have the CS programs.

I would have thought someone from Adobe would be watching these forums and respond to tell us what’s going on. I’ve already restarted and that didn’t work. I was just getting ready to trash the prefs, but it sounds like that’s not going to work either.

Teresa
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Teresa,

Did you Repair Permissions with Apple’s Disk Utility before and after any System update as well as before and after installing any application that uses an installer? You should. Repairing Permissions afterward only may not work.

Have you tried trashing your Photoshop Preferences files yet? That’s the first thing to do whenever any program begins to act weirdly.

Have you run DiskWarrior? Have you booted off the CD and used Apple’s Disk Utility to Repair Disk? (This is different from Repair Permissions and you have to do it wile booted from the CD.)
TM
Teresa_Martin
Jun 28, 2004
Ramon,

I did not repair permission with the Disk Utility BEFORE and AFTER system updates and installing with installers (call me dumb, but I wasn’t aware I HAD to do that). I have now ran disk utility and repaired permissions. I’ve trashed the Prefs, I couldn’t find an "un-install" on the CD, so I re-installed and repaired permissions again. I don’t have DiskWarrior.

Even after all of that, I’m still having the same problems everyone else does…. it works just fine for the first few minutes and then they shortcuts don’t work anymore.
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Teresa,

Read my previous post again and try booting off the CD and REPAIR DISK from it.
TM
Teresa_Martin
Jun 28, 2004
Which CD? The Adobe CS CD? The OS X CD?
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Jun 28, 2004
Teresa, I read somewhere on the web (I have unfortunately forgotten where) that there was a bug in a security patch back in one of the earlier OS 10 incarnations that made the keyboard commands that are used for Zoom in Illustrator (command key and space bar) nonfunctional. It was a security feature that disabled these key commands. They fixed the problem in an OS/security patch update, but then would forget to include the fix in subsequent updates to their security patches, so it would be turned back on. It only happens intermittently, particularly when the user is having to type in their administrator password when updating things…
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Teresa,

The OS installation CD. Boot off that CD and use the Disk Utility contained on the CD itself.

Zina,

What you mention is one of the reasons why it’s necessary to Repair Permissions before and after every system update, as well as before and after installing anything that uses an installer that asks for your password. In Panther, updating by way of the Combo Updater seems to be the way to go, rather than the individual updates.
M
Matthewwales
Jun 29, 2004
After kicking Norton off my machine, repairing permissions and checking fonts all was working fine. That was Friday! Now I’m back to the same problem again.

I’m lost as to what to do next, The only thing I have not tried yet is booting from the OSX disk and running disk utilities from there. Will try that later when I get a chance. Are there full instructions on how to un-install Photoshop anywhere as I just want to make sure that I have trashed all files incase I have left the offending file behind before reinstalling (for like the 3rd time!)
PT
Paul_Tracy
Jun 29, 2004
Matthew

If you are running Entourage this thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb47c52/18> may be of interest.

I don’t know if it also applies to non-CS versions.
M
Matthewwales
Jun 29, 2004
OH MY GOD!

WEL BLOW ME DOWN WITH A BIG MS WHACKING STICK!

Problem now solved! How do I get my lottery winnings to you Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks loads and loads and loads
PT
Paul_Tracy
Jun 29, 2004
How do I get my lottery winnings to you Paul!!!!

Stick them in a wheelbarrow and bring them round anytime.

If its more than a wheelbarrowful I’ll come and collect!
IA
Ian_Aberle
Jul 7, 2004
Paul –

thanks for the tip. I was have the same problem and now it works fine. Except, what if I don’t want Entourage to remember my preferences? Is the only solution to quit Entourage every time I use any of the CS?

– Ian
PT
Paul_Tracy
Jul 8, 2004
Ian, I don’t use CS and Entourage on the same machine so I can’t advise you of on what would work best for your setup. There are a few threads where other users talk about what works for them. Do a search – this question comes up quite often in the Illustrator forums too.
R
Ram
Jul 8, 2004
Ian,

Some users have found that simply closing the Entourage window, without quitting, solves the problem. In some cases it does not help, so you may indeed have to quit Entourage if you want to preserve your Prefs intact. Try.
CK
Chris_Karukas
Jul 21, 2004
Wow. Entourage. Who’da thunk it. Thanks a heap for the info! Works like a charm.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections